Indoor running tracks for us not-so-hardy Minnesotans

Options
I’ve noticed a number of people here who are apprehensive about running outdoors during the winter, and who may also not be so excited about using a treadmill. I'm hoping I can help. Below is a list of the best and most affordable local indoor tracks for those who don't want a health club membersip, but prefer to just drop in when it‘s convenient:

Metrodome - concourse running (concrete), 2.5 laps per mile. Open 5-8 PM most Tuesdays and Thursdays from Nov. 22 to the end of March. Cost - $1 and parking is free (by Gate D). Hosted by MDRA http://www.runmdra.org/index.php/programs/12-dome-running

State Fair Coliseum - concourse running (concrete), 5+ laps per mile. Open only daytimes, M-F 7 AM to 2 PM. Cost - $3 http://www.mnstatefair.org/events/default.lasso?show=future

Roseville Skating Center - Open M-F 7:30 AM to 9 PM, Sat and Sun 8 AM to 9 PM, except when there’s an event. Cost - none for track only. http://www.cityofroseville.com/index.aspx?NID=536

Brooklyn Park Community Activity Center - 8 ¼ laps per mile. Track circles the ice arena below. Open 8 AM to 10 PM daily, but with occasional closings for hockey and special events. Cost - $3 http://www.brooklynpark.org/sitepages/pid393.php

The New Hope Ice Arena - track circles two hockey rinks, so I’m guessing about 8 laps per mile. Open only daytimes, M-F 10 AM to 3 PM. Cost - Free to the public. http://www.ci.new-hope.mn.us/departments/parksrecreation/facilities/icearena.shtml

Chaska Community Center - cushioned track. Open M-S 5 AM to 10 PM, Sun 8 AM to 9 PM. Cost - Free to the public. http://www.chaskacommunitycenter.com/ccenter/

Eden Prairie High School - I haven’t personally checked on this one for a while, but years ago, I would use their cushioned track which circles the basketball courts in the gymnasium. It’s about 7 laps per mile. Open whenever the building is open to the public, which seemed to be every day and most evenings. Cost - Free to the public. Address - 17185 Valley View Rd., Eden Prairie High, Gymnasium is around back.

Bloomington Activity Centers (inside Jefferson High School and Kennedy High School) - Both tracks are cushioned, and about 7 laps per mile. Both are open M-F 6 AM to 10 PM, Sat 8 AM to 6 PM, Sun 12 PM to 10 PM. Cost - Both are $5, or $2 for residents or those who work in Bloomington (use work address). http://cs.bloomington.k12.mn.us/modules/cms/pages.phtml?pageid=186082&sessionid=

There are several others below, but many of these aren’t as desirable for reasons such as a high number of laps per mile (bad for the knees), or a high daily admission fee (because users must pay the general fee for all fitness amenities).

Maplewood Community Center - Suspended indoor track. Users pay the fee for all fitness amenities. Address - 1830 County Rd. B East, Maplewood 651-249-2000

Shoreview Community Center - 14 laps per mile. Users must pay fee for all fitness amenities. Address - 4580 Victoria St. N, Shoreview 651-490-4700

North St. Paul Community Center and Recreation Dept. - Open M-F 5:30 AM to 9 PM, Sat 8 AM to 6 PM, Sun 10 AM to 6 PM. Cost $7, $5 for residents.

Eagan Community Center - 11 laps per mile. Daily pass $10 (includes admission to all fitness amenities) Address - 1501 Central Parkway, Eagan 651-675-5550

Edinborough Park Fitness Center - 16 laps per mile (ouch). Address - 7700 York Ave. S, Edina 952-832-6790

Hillcrest Recreation Center - about 11 laps per mile. I think I remember the fee for non-residents being $2. Address - 1978 Ford Parkway, St. Paul 651-695-3706

Shakopee Community Center - 14 laps per mile. Cost - Free. Address - 1255 Fuller St., Shakopee 952-233-9500.

Monticello Community Center - 15-16.7 laps per mile (super ouch). Address - 505 Walnut St., Monticello 763-295-2954

St. Peter Community Center - 13.5 laps per mile. Address - 600 S 5th St., St. Peter 507-934-0667

I know next to nothing about these indoor tracks, except for their existence:

Bielenberg Sports Center - Open 6 AM to 10 PM, I think daily. Address - 415 Radio Drive, Woodbury 651-714-3740

Sabes Jewish Community Center of Greater Minneapolis - Address - 4330 S. Cedar Lake Rd., St. Louis Park 952-381-3400

Jewish Community Center of the Greater St. Paul Area - cushioned running track. Address - 1375 St. Paul Ave., St. Paul 651-698-0751

North Dale Recreation Center - Address - 1414 St. Albans St. N, St. Paul 651-558-2329

Oxford Community Center - Address - 270 Lexington Parkway North, St. Paul 651-642-0650

Neighborhood House at Wellstone Center - Address - 179 Robie Street East, St. Paul 651-789-2542

Veterans Memorial Community Center - Address - 8150 Barbara Ave., Inver Grove Heights 651-450-2480

Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center - Address - 826 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes 218-844-4221

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Great list! I only have personal experience with the EPHS track (not of my own free will) and Edinborough.

It's true that the Edinborough track is TINY. It also has a handful of machines lining it. It's just above the pool (which is also tiny).
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Thanks! If any of this were close to me it would be REALLY helpful (and I don't blame you that I live outside of the metro). Really great resource.

I once ran around the Mall of America while it was open to shoppers. Sort of multi tasking. I had to switch levels every once in a while so as to not attract too much attention.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Thanks! If any of this were close to me it would be REALLY helpful (and I don't blame you that I live outside of the metro). Really great resource.

I once ran around the Mall of America while it was open to shoppers. Sort of multi tasking. I had to switch levels every once in a while so as to not attract too much attention.

MOA has signs up that show you how to walk a mile around the mall using all the floors. They are tiny signs that say "Mayo Clinic Mile." The information desk may have more info about it.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    Great list. Here's some information for Dakota County. My boyfriend's mom walks at the Hastings High School, which offers the inside track for jogging/running and the outside lanes for walking.

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/HealthFamily/HealthyLiving/Fitness/IndoorWalking.htm

Indoor Walking Options in Dakota County
    Many community centers and schools in Dakota County have opened their buildings for indoor walking. Times and locations are subject to change.

Apple Valley

* Valley Middle School
    * Usually open Mon-Thurs 6:30-9:30 p.m. and Sat. 9-noon
    * For registration and fee information visit ISD 196 Community Educ.

Burnsville

* Burnsville Center's Mom's Stretch & Stroll
    * Tuesdays 9:30 - 10:30 a.m.
    * $8/single session; discounts available for multiple sessions

Eagan

* Dakota Hills Middle School

* Eagan Community Center
    * Pass is valid anytime except Mon. - Fri., 4:00 - 7:00 p.m.
    * $2/day, $5/7 days, $20/month, $40 60-day pass, $60 90-day pass

Hastings

* Hastings High School - upper field house
    * September - June, Mon. - Fri., 6:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
    * $12/year

Inver Grove Heights

* Veteran's Memorial Community Center - The Grove
    * Year Around
    * $7.50 per visit
    * Simley High School
    * Mon. - Thurs., 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    * $5 for a button to walk the schools during the school year
    * Purchase button at Family Connections

Mendota Heights

* Henry Sibley High School
    * Mon. - Fri., 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    * Purchase button at District Community Ed Office

Rosemount

* Rosemount Middle School
    * Rosemount Community Center
    * Mon. - Fri., 8:00 - 9:00 a.m.
    * Free - call 651-322-6002 for more information

South St. Paul

* South St. Paul High School
    * Mon. - Fri., 5:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    * Purchase button at Central Square Comm. Ctr. or Thompson Park

West St. Paul

* Heritage Middle School (F. M. Grass Pool)
    * Water Walking/Deep Water Running - Tues., 7:30-8:30 p.m.
    * Register by calling TriDistrict Community Ed. at 651-403-8313
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Thanks, HeatherMN. I'll be adding many of these to my list, and updating the two that have old information.
  • lstendal
    Options
    I love the lists, one more to add though: Plymouth Field House, located by City Hall. Runs around play fields under dome heated to about 55 degrees, 5.25 laps per mile, sometimes track cut in half for indoor golf. It is open generally 8a-10p but they do post a schedule online, and is free. It can get crowded when there are lots of soccer/rugby games/practices as the players tend to crowd the track getting ready but other than that is a great place to run. http://plymouthmn.gov/index.aspx?page=119.
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    Ooh, good one! Thanks, Istendal! A fairly big track that's also free like this one is a rarity. But, one that's 55 degrees--perfect temperature for running--is a real gem.
  • leiacw
    leiacw Posts: 6
    Options
    Great list! I'd like to add the St. Paul Rec Centers. If you're a resident, it's $30/year; nonresidents is $60/year. Their map link is currently broken, but it includes several rec centers including Hillcrest; I know a few of them have tracks. You can call Hillcrest for the list of participating centers.
    http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?nid=2940
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Southwest YMCA in Eagan has an indoor track. 11 laps to the mile, not terrible. Need to be a member, but it also gives you access to everything else (weights, bikes, treadmills, pool, classes, etc.)

The St. Paul JCC is a tough indoor tracks, 19 laps to the mile, very narrow, and the corners are not very rounded, almost a sharp 90 degree turn.
  • Tippytoesk8er
    Options
    The St. Paul JCC is a tough indoor tracks, 19 laps to the mile, very narrow, and the corners are not very rounded, almost a sharp 90 degree turn.

Ouch! That's a small one. Might as well run laps through one kitchen doorway to the livingroom, and back through the other kitchen door. LOL! Well, at least they have one. I imagine it works okay for walkers.