Caloric Intake

Options
Ok, so I need help and advice. I'm not sure what is true about caloric intake. I have seen several discussions where it states that you need to eat your target goal of calories for the day or you will plateau. So if you workout, you need to eat that much more calories that day. Is this true?? Anyone have any personal experience with this?

I just figured eating UNDER only makes sence. My doc also told me that the "starvation mode" doesn't occur until you are only eating 500 calories a day. Which is not possible and your body will not let you do that. This is for people who have had gastric bypass. So....any ideas?

Replies

• ajarduini
    Options
    Wow, that's a good question. I have always assumed that you are to eat what you normally would on your diet and any calorie loss from exercise is just a bonus. I'm by far not a nutrition expert though. Would be nice to have one as a member of the group though.

I don't even like to log what little exercise I get in a day in MFP for fear it will subconsciously tell me to eat more....
  • callady10
    Options
    Ok here goes. I was told by my trainer friend that you need a deficit of 500 calories a day to burn a lb of fat per week. So you need to find out what your BMR is for your weight, add the calories you burn exercising and eat 500 less than that total. For example, lets say my BMR is 1600, I need to eat 1100 cals per day to burn 1 lb per week. If I burn an additional 500 calories exercising, I can eat 1600 calories per day.

Now, she also says to NEVER drop below 1200 per day if you do exercise......she said your body will go after your biggest energy source for survival....muscle. her advice is to do light weight training to build muscle as muscle with burn more fat. Oh and BTW, she is built very nice, athletically, not too muscular though.

She said for me personally, 1400 cals. And 30 min of weight training per day will allow me to lose more fat than cardio and less than 1200 cals.

Just my two cents from a friend......
  • ajarduini
    Options
    That is good to know, thank you. MFP has a BMR calculator tool you can utilize.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator

:glasses: