what do you have your carb/fat/protein levels set at?

Options
'm trying to figure out what to set these levels at.
also are you figuring on plain old carbs or NET carbs when you do your totals?
halp! plz....

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Here's what I know:
    1. I count all carbs, not net carbs. My dietician says it's not really true that some carbs don't count - they all count! I know on Adkins they count net carbs.

2. On Adkins, they have an optional induction period where you restrict to 20 grams of carbs a day. I believe they do this for 2 weeks. Then they go forward with 60 grams or less a day.

3. On my diet, I have to eat less than 45 grams of carbs a day. In addition, I can't have any single meal or snack that is more than 10 grams. That's because I am in ketosis - fat burning baby! - and if I eat more than 10 grams at once, I will go out of ketosis. So, you can't save up your carbs and have a piece of cake at night. :sad:

4. My ratios are 62% fat, 13% carb and 25% protein. My dietician says that eating too much protein could also slow down the fat burning, so protein is moderate.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Hi hun!
    My calories and carbohydrate levels are set according to the recommendations that I am following from my Endocrinologist. I do make sure the fat is coming from the foods as a natural source, but I use canola and olive oil, and every now and then butter when cooking (Butter for seafood, OHHHH baby!)

Protein - basically I make sure Im selecting the best sources possible...
  • StrongHeart
    StrongHeart Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have not set my carbs as low as some in this group, but my carb allowance is much lower than it used to be.
    I have also chosen to cut back on refined sugar. I am currently following a meal plan I have concocted by mixing the South Beach Diet and the Glycemic Index Diet.
  • Trixiebelle67
    Trixiebelle67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goals to set my carbs at 50 - I mostly count net carbs as I am loosely following Atkins, but I depend on the item. I count the net carb on bars or baked goods that I specifically buy as low carb. On recipes or everyday food, I tend to stick with the normal count. I know it sounds a bit confusing but it works for me :)
  • joyfulteach
    joyfulteach Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm loosely following the Protein Power plan which limits net carbs to 40 a day, 8-10 per meal plus a snack. But keep mine much lower closer to 20/25. I set my Carbs at 10% - 30 carbs. Protein is my main focus though. According to my stats weight and height I need to eat a minimum of 34g. of Protein per meal. It will drop to 27g. when I loose weight. I have my protein set at 50%.
    Fat makes of the rest. I try to eat lots of lean proteins and I try not to add fat to cooking so most of my fat comes from meat and cheeses. I choose low fat when possible. Some low fat or fat free products are actually higher in carbs. So I choose full fat over added carbs. My diary is open to friends if you want to friend me.
  • KrishnaKrolczyk
    KrishnaKrolczyk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just changed my numbers and I do feel better. We will see if I still lose weight. I was getting headaches and diarrhea with too much fat. So, now, on the advice of another group, I changed it way up. I was doing 70%fat 20% protein and 10% carbs.
    Now, I am doing 55%fat 35%protein and 10%carbs. Its a lot of protein...like 120grams...we shall see. I felt bad enough to give it a shot.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat a medically therapeutic ketogenic diet for a neurological movement disorder so like @tecallahan 's dietician's direction to keep protein "down", I do the same since that is what is indicated for a MTKD.

On a 1500 calorie diet I currently have my macros set to 15% carbs, 70% fats and 15% protein. That gives me grams of 57, 119 and 57. I too count total carbs. I focus on keeping fat to protein+carbs at a 1:1 ratio with about 42% of my fats from MCT Oil.

I finally found an MCT that truly has no taste so am happy to now say I'm no longer sick of eating fat. I'm not a huge fan of fatty meats, chicken skin and saturating vegetables in butter or cheese so this is working well for me in regards to palate.

I'm sure it is already apparent each of us strive to find a way that works for us individually so OP, pick what you think will work for you, give it a try for a few weeks and tweak as needed.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I just changed my numbers and I do feel better. We will see if I still lose weight. I was getting headaches and diarrhea with too much fat. So, now, on the advice of another group, I changed it way up. I was doing 70%fat 20% protein and 10% carbs.
    Now, I am doing 55%fat 35%protein and 10%carbs. Its a lot of protein...like 120grams...we shall see. I felt bad enough to give it a shot.

Glad you feel better @KrishnaKrolczyk. My bet is you'll still lose weight. I did with 30p/30f/40c. I kept within my allotted calories. It was fine for weight loss, not so much for satiation. I was always hungry so since fat and protein seem to be what satiates most people if I had to do a "do over" it would look much like what you've decided upon. Good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 10%c, 55%f, 35%p - however, I do go over the carb allotment sometimes and I'm ok with that as long as I don't go over 100g net carbs.

I have carbs set low in MFP because I don't pay enough attention until it turns red...so, for me setting it lower than my actual goal keeps me on target...I know it's all in my head, but whatever works.
  • wimberleybonnette737
    Options
    I eat at maintenance calories ~2,000 kcal. 5% carb 25% protein and 70% fat. That is about 120 give/take grams of protein a day. I started at a more traditional keto diet level of protein and it was not enough. I lift heavy Mon-Fri and do light activity on my rest days. On rest days I taper down the calories a bit which lowers my overall macros accordingly.

I find we are all our own science experiments. Each person reacts to things differently and it depends on goals. <3
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 15C/25P/60F.
    With carbs though, I try to stay under 20-30 gm net carbs/day during weight loss mode and so far in maintenance, up to 40-50 net/day. (I put it at 15% carb instead of 10% to allow more room for "net"/fiber).
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cramernh wrote: »
    Hi hun!
    My calories and carbohydrate levels are set according to the recommendations that I am following from my Endocrinologist. I do make sure the fat is coming from the foods as a natural source, but I use canola and olive oil, and every now and then butter when cooking (Butter for seafood, OHHHH baby!)

Protein - basically I make sure Im selecting the best sources possible...

@cramernh - I follow my Endo's suggestions, too, mostly, but I just wanted to point something out.

Canola oil is not a natural source - if you go watch how it's made, you'll likely never want to eat it again (at least this was very true for me!). It is bleached, excessively processed, and over-treated, because many times it is rancid before it ever makes it to the store - but because of the treatments, it's really difficult to tell. Coconut oil is probably a better option, and olive oil, as long as verified to be a legit brand is also a good choice, but it's higher in the Omega 6's to my understanding. It's also not great at high temperatures due to smoke point. Avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, walnut oil, there are lots of other choices out there. Refined coconut oil and liquid MCT oil are coconut oils without the coconut flavors...
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm currently set at 5%c/20%P/75%f. I tweak this every now and then depending on my activity level. 25%P with 70%f, although that much protein sometimes is hard to eat (unless it is ribeye, YUM). I follow this to keep my fasting blood sugar level down. I was one test away from dx with diabetes and am now down into NORMAL levels of fbs and A1c. I check my blood sugar regularly and even bumping carbs up a little bit at this point causes a bump up in my blood sugar. As the weight comes off, this may change. But for now, 5%c is what works for me.