Marathon Training and Net Calories???

Options
malenahan
malenahan Posts: 73 Member
I run approximately 65 miles a week. My typical running week is:
-Monday - 4-5 miles
-Tuesday - Double (4-5 miles and then 10-11 miles)
-Wednesday - 4-5 miles
-Thursday - Double (4-5 miles and then 10-11 miles)
-Friday - 4-5 miles
-Saturday - 16-20 miles
-Sunday - 10-12 miles (I just increased my Sunday run from 4-6 miles)

I also cross train with TurboFire, 30 Day Shred, and the Elliptical 5-6 days a week.

I feel good during my workouts and feel like I am properly fueled. However, I am consistently netting below 1200 calories. I read all kinds of posts that you shouldn't be below 1200, but in all reality how important is it for my fellow marathon running friends that I am below 1200 calories several days a week?

I estimate 75 calories burned per mile while running and wear a Bodybugg all day long so I have a decently accurate calorie burn for all my activities. I'm 5'4 1/2 and 124 pounds. I've lost about 6-8 pounds since last May but have not lost/gained for the last couple months. I know I can add healthy calories in my diet - protein shakes, more food, etc but I'm trying to figure out if it really matters or not.

I'm interested to hear runners opinions on this and especially runners who run high mileage!

Thanks!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I cannot even fathom running that volume, let alone the other workouts on top of that. Absolutely blows my mind.

I'd say if you feel good, and are obviously performing well in your races, whatever you are doing is working.

Still in awe over how much you get done in a week.
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do similar milage and gym work. Probably a bit more.
    I eat around 2000 cal a day and have lost weight on that
    I don't really take notice of my net calories but I do have a deficit
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I am doing slighlty more mileage and can really feel it if I eat under around 3500 calories for more than a few days. (weight 181)

I think a lot depends on the intensity of the runs. If everything is at an easy pace it probably is not a big problem to run a big deficit.

If one is doing faster work from time to time then something needs to replace the glycogen.
  • malenahan
    Options
    Thank you for all your responses and posts!

I'm not necessarily trying to lose weight at my number one goal, but if I lost 3-4 more pounds that would be great. I just want to run fast and become more lean.

I eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies so getting that many calories is tough. I think I am going to add the Defense Nutrition Warrior Whey to my diet a few times a week.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Oat shakes, Mix your protein with a cup of oats and semi skimmed milk and its a good 500 kcals a hit, its the easiest way to make up your calories
  • malenahan
    Options
    Thanks. I'm going to have to work up to the oat shakes. I have to convince myself that it is ok to drink 500 calories at a time (even though I know I probably need the calories).
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I couldnt imagine training on the sort of deficit you are, but thats just me! If you up the carbs, you should see your performance up as well though, so hopefully the PB will be enough incentive for you. Good luck!
  • malenahan
    Options
    Thank you!