What's your favorite type of Yoga Practice and Why?

jlira01
jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
I'm new to Yoga, but my current favorite is "Hot Yoga"! It's warm, I have increased flexibility, and the timing between moves is a comfortable pace.

Replies

• CuppycakeKaren
    CuppycakeKaren Posts: 31 Member
    I love hot yoga too!! I have an injury that makes some poses impossible in regular yoga, but I can do much easier in the heat!!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 577 Member
    Right now, I am loving Hatha yoga....still kinda new so eventually I want to try out the others!!
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    There are no places in my area that teach hot yoga, but I would love to try it! I do mostly alignment yoga. At times my gym offers a class that is a combination of yoga and pilates and I really like that class also. When I get done with an alignment class my body feels more "complete." I feel in touch with what my body needs and feels.
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    I like Hot Yoga but not Bikram so much (bc I dont like doing the same class every time). I like doing yoga in the heat because you are just more limber and all that!

I'm taking a workshop with John Friend next weekend who founded Anusara yoga which, if I'm not mistaken, focuses on alignment. I really like that kind of stuff since I teach yoga and I dont want to hurt anyone!

I'm a little bit of a yoga slut and like going to those intermediate hatha classes where you do the arm balances and inversions and super flexy stuff (ie, the Show Off Yoga!).
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    i do hot yoga and power yoga regularly.. they are totally different and i love both.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I've done hot yoga once, it was taught the same as regular yoga but just in a heated room. I didn't see the point of it - maybe I went to the wrong class - what's different about doing yoga on a hot summer's day compared to a cooler one?

I like vinyasas and more static forms of yoga. Also, I like strength based and stretching based asanas, but pick what I do according to how I feel that day.

I haven't met a form of yoga I haven't liked to date (except for f%^%&*%^& downwards dog).
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    I love my Power Yoga! And really all types of Hatha and Flow classes which are a type of Ashtanga/Vinyasa yoga, I guess.

I have yet to try Bikram's or Hot Yoga and would love to but I'm usually in a sweaty mess in my Power classes so I don't know if I need any more heat!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I do Iyengar yoga but occasionally practice others. I love all the alignment cues - it makes my practice more meditative. I like to know why I am doing something as well.

I'm not a big fan of hot yoga. I feel faint in the heat sometimes, though I don't mind practicing outside on a hot day (I live in Texas). I've also pulled more muscles in warm rooms than cool ones - I'm not sure that would apply to everyone though.

I'm a workshop junkie - I have 4 workshops in the next 5 weeks (though this may be a little excessive even for me). I love learning new ways of doing something, anatomy (this weekend), and hard work.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I'm taking a workshop with John Friend next weekend who founded Anusara yoga which, if I'm not mistaken, focuses on alignment. I really like that kind of stuff since I teach yoga and I dont want to hurt anyone!

I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun. I haven't taken with JF (who used to be an Iyengar teacher back in the day, which explains his alignment cues) but heard he was fun. I've taken some of his students: Desiree Rumbaugh, Noah Maze, Amy Ippoliti (she wasn't my thing), Ross Rayburn, and Christina Sell (I've taken many of Christina's classes as she is local, fun, and challenging, but she resigned her Anusara certification). JF is coming in April. I plan on going if I'm in town. His workshops are huge these days, so I would go to see what it was like, more than to learn something technical.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    ashtanga

it is so powerful in breathing for practicing asanas
    it is so graceful and fun in the vinyasas
    it is logical and easy to remember
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 282 Member
    i've never practiced any but power yoga
    thou i know that it's a lot different than hatha yoga, everything is much faster, but i prefer faster moves
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    ashtanga

it is so powerful in breathing for practicing asanas
    it is so graceful and fun in the vinyasas
    it is logical and easy to remember

I do ashtanga as well. I enjoy the heat generation and the combination of movement, strength and stretchwork. I'm a beginner, but somewhow love down dog and rolling into it from up dog.
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    I do Homemade yoga ; ) Whatever seems to need doing gets thrown in there. I learn alot from dvd's of yoga greats such as shiva rea, yoga shakti and sarah powers, insight. Insight yoga is very powerful although you really can't tell until you've finished. Good for when you need to "regroup". I'm now learning about kundalini yoga with raviana.com Not something I'd like to do with a roomful of people but, it makes me feel great about Life. Love the inspirational words.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    I love most things Ravianna :) It's really the only yoga I've actually "done" :wink:

I like the faster paced, sometimes cardio-like flows of Kundalini yoga...
  • digitalyssa
    digitalyssa Posts: 112 Member
    I don't think I'm cut out for hot yoga, I did it a few summers ago 4x per week for 6 weeks and never got better at it. I was dizzy and light headed every time I went, no matter how much/little food/water I took in.

There is a class that is my favourite. Sattva yoga is a relatively new hybrid type of yoga that is close to hata and vinyasa flow but with meditation and breathing exercises at the end. Absolute bliss. :)