Anyone consider Weight Watchers?

Options
Okay, ya'll might think I'm crazy, but I've been considering joining WW, even though I just had surgery 6 weeks ago. My thought process is to be part of a weekly support system that keeps me tracking my food and makes me aware of my need for weight loss. However, I don't even know if they'd let me join during this phase of my WLS. I'm sure I'd have some haters at the meetings, but I was thinking of talking it over with a Group Leader and just not accept rewards for weight loss and just go for support and accountability.

What do you all think? I'm sure another WLS person has done this before?!

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I know people who have done it. Most don't tell anyone they have had WLS though. But some do.

Whether it works for you is going to depend on what you want to get out of it. Their points system may not have you eating the way you should post-op and is probably too much food for someone so early out. So you probably have to modify that. Some groups are better about dealing with someone who has WLS than others so that's another thing to check out.

If all you want is a weekly weigh in and meeting, there are other groups that are free and don't have a "system" to be force into that can provide that. I think OA and TOPS are both free. You can also check out the various WLS support groups in your area and just go to one every week.

But, if you do WW, I would absolutely take the rewards and badges and stuff. It's part of the program and you're paying for it! :laugh: Besides, there is nothing illegitimate about having WLS so there is no reason not to let yourself be rewarded. You are doing the work - getting exercise, making good choices, etc. and that's worth being recognized for!
  • Simona38
    Simona38 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would check out any WLS support groups. WW is a good program but I say why pay for something you can get for free. Im in Toronto and I know there are a lot of local groups that meet 1x a week. Im sure you can find something in your area too. If you're not already a member, you can check out Obesity Help - WLS support website and they have local forums - most post support meetings locally.

Having support and being accountable is VERY important during this process. You dont want to slip back into old habits.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    When you are this early out, I would not recommend WW at all. If at some point you find yourself slipping back into old habits then WW could be a viable option. I know ones who have started to regain use WW to get back on track. I have never heard of someone in the early stages of WLS go to WW. And if you go I would not tell them I had WLS and personally I would not say my weight lost per week since it was not lost from the WW program because that would be unfair to other members who are using the program.

Tops is a great source for weekly weigh ins if this is what you are looking for. OA does not weigh you in and they do not even advocate obssession with the scale. Beware because OA can also be anti WLS.

Hope this helps.
  • hulahoopaholic
    Options
    I went to WW before surgery, and was not very successful; however, I adore my meeting leaders. I talked to them before surgery, and WW does not have any policy prohibiting you from attending if you have surgery. I go for the accountability. The meeting members in general do not know I've had surgery, but they will probably figure it out. For me, it's worth $40 a month for the weekly weigh-in and pep talk. YMMV.

Jenni