What is everybody doing : counting calories or counting carb

Options
candie33
candie33 Posts: 36 Member
Just wanted to know what is working for everybody...I go between the two only to stay at the same weight. I need to stick to a plan.

Replies

• susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories only. A few times I have been over on carbs a few days but never over on calories (so far).
  • Yinkin
    Yinkin Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm calorie counting. Didn't even occur to me to count carbs. I try not to go over on anything but mostly the calories.
  • therighttrack
    therighttrack Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Calories! I'm trying to loose the weight, but I would think that it would be good for both.
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    I'm counting both calories and carbs. The carbs are more for just keeping them from being out of control because I really..... really.... love the carbs. By "counting" them I put a conscious effort into what I am eating because I watch the count go up as I enter my foods, and sometimes I decide not to, or simply make a better carb choice. I will not beat myself up for going over the goal though... the carb goal that is. I will beat myself up just a little for going over the calorie count.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Just calories right now, I look at the carb totals each day but I'm not concerning myself with them too much. If I start to plateau then I'll see if anything needs tweaking.
    I notice that I go over on the protein most days, it really doesn't allow much does it? I always thought high protein was good :/
  • angelialouise
    angelialouise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    my problem isnt the calories or carbs, i keep going over on the protein...is that bad??
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    my problem isnt the calories or carbs, i keep going over on the protein...is that bad??

Are you losing weight or are you getting those in one sitting or is it even across the day? I don't think there is a "right" answer. There is only the "right" answer for YOU.

When I started MFP I tracked what I ate normally for about 2 weeks and it was frightening, lol. I found out I was a protein and fat girl.

I noticed that when I am over on fat esp., I am HUNGRY all the time. It was nothing for me to drop 600cal at breakfast eating eggs, sausage, or whatever. Then I would be starving later. My protein would be multiplied by 3 easy.

One of the theories is that your blood sugar takes a dive after you consume a ton of calories which leads to the "starving".

So if you are even keel, are not "starving" later, and the protein is not full of fat, you are good. If it is working for you, then great.

For me, I had to cut back and spread it throughout the day.
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    for me helps counting carbs..i am a good carbs eater lol.. eat tortillas, rice and beans.. when i am low in carbs i know i dont eat much calories, i cut salt and sugar..
  • tracy1727
    tracy1727 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Counting calories only. Last year I was on WW and felt the points just took some extra work/figuring..than calorie counting. With calorie counting and this great website you can just type something and POOF there is all the information. I want this to be a way of life...not a chore or a math problem I need to solve each day. However I am tracking my sodium as well.... I have huge problems with retaining water and for the last 2 weeks I have drank at least 80 oz of water each day. I can always tell by my wedding ring...in the early AM and late PM my ring leaves a mark. In the afternoon its as loose as can be...I havent cheated on my diet and I work out everyday....so not sure whats going on with that..But Im not giving up :)
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options

there s a good source of protein and dont think is bad.. for me bad is what r u eating..

i lost 20 pounds in 3 weeks last year eating protein and less carbs and calories..
  • angelialouise
    angelialouise Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    lost 12 lbs so far, started about 3 weeks ago, so i am losing , just always see protein as the category i continue to go over on
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I strive to get a healthy balance between all...protein,carbs and fats. All calories are NOT created equally, just as all macros are not.

It's not as simple as calories in and calories out. I am living proof of that. It's about HOW you choose to fuel your body and timing too.

Too many people cut out carbs or fats to lose weight, and that is not going to work in the long. Many people don't even know the sources of their carbs and how they can affect your weightloss. Same with fats..you NEED healthy fats for proper brain and organ function. Healthy fats DO NOT make you fat, BUT you can't eat them all day either.

...ok I'm done for now..LOL Too much to write..haha
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I don't really count anything. I just try to eat more fruits and veggies. I don't care much for meat anymore. Some days I binge and go crazy over chocolate but with all my running it doesn't seem to effect my weight.... except I can't seem to get rid of the last 20 lbs I want to lose... but that might be because I added weight training a few weeks ago... I don't know. I know if I don't get my run in, I'm more likely to over eat. Our running club didn't go out this morning because of the ice/snow but I'm going out with a 28 year old friend to run this afternoon. We hit the gym yesterday and that was a good workout :smile: I'm messing up and drinking too much caffeine. I know my body does best without it. I need to up my water. It helps my skin and it helps my mood. TOM is coming up and I want my chocolate. I don't want to eat it tho because I know It will make me feel blehhh for the next couple of days after eating it. It's funny how that junk effects me. If I'm trying to make good time on a run I know not to eat something like icecream the night before because it slows me down. Weird....
  • SunflowerBelle
    Options
    Am counting calories but still keeping carbs low and bulking up on the veg while still keeping to target count:happy:
  • lisa812many
    lisa812many Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Counting calories here. I usually go over on protein but not by much. I believe my drastic increase in physical activity allowed me to lose 11lbs in my first 14 days. I still could eat a bit more healthy. Hope everyone gets to their goals this year!
  • HealthyChicana
    HealthyChicana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Interesting question.

if I follow my obsessive behaviors, I usually count calories.

If I follow my doctor's directions, I should count carbs.
  • tbraund111069
    tbraund111069 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I count them all, especially calories & protein. The fat grams I need to work on as I don't get enough from my protein shakes.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I did the first year or so (30lb or so) by eating virtually nothing of anything. (emotional)
    The next year ish, I started on MFP and stuck to 1200 calories (usually less) and lost 10 lb ish.
    Since about Christmas I've been a bit stuck so this last month I am jiggling my numbers in the hope of shifting the final few. I've upped my calories to 1350, increased my protein and dropped carbs in the hope of dropping. I never go anywhere my fat totals, just can't eat stuff that has fat. Hang over from the first year of weight loss.
    Don't know if I'm doing it right but I need to do something. Any thoughts, anyone?
  • amph23
    amph23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm counting calories. The trainers at the gym have told me NOT to count calories and just pay attention to low carbs. That really hasn't worked for me. Counting calories worked really well when I was in my mid-thirties so I am going to try that again.
  • bertabgood
    bertabgood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Going over on protein is definately not bad. Protein is important for building muscle, which burns fat.