my gym wont do programs

Options
geckofli
geckofli Posts: 155 Member
I joined fitness first and they no longer do programes because someone hurts themselves and sued.
Im a bit sceptical but cant be bothered pushing for one with them because i know i have the best support crew known to man & woman kind right here.

So can you suggest or let me know what you do for your routine?

Currently i do the c25k and then extra intervals, this week im doing week5 day1 followed by 1min @12kmh,1min@7kmh.

any suggestions would be great i just need a string of exerises to do focusing on each body part.
as i come up with them ill post as well

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Well that sucks! hopefully someone will be able to help you out. I'm going to ask my p/t to write me up a program for home. I see her 2 x a week but I'd love to know what I should be doing at home & I always lose interest/focus if I don't have a set routine.
  • geckofli
    geckofli Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    It would be awesome if they did, I'm going to string a few together and post em, so people in similar situations to me can have programs
  • kristielouisa
    kristielouisa Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm a 5'2" female, weighing in at about 72kg. I'm getting there in my fitness levels so my PT wrote me a new cardio/weights program, its a bit hard to share without showing you, but here goes:

* 10 min warm up - cardio of your own choosing.

* Grinder (exercise bike thingy for your arms) set on level 15 (about 3/4 of the way up) for 2 mins, aim for 800m.

* Get a step (like reebok step) and make it as high as you can with the steps underneath.

* Do 10 tuck jumps on and off the step.

* Get 2x10kg dumbells and hold one in each hand and do step ups for one minute.

* Cross trainer (ours has a program called ramp it down but basically its one big hill), set it to 3/4's of the highest level it goes to. Do 10 mins. If I can't use the one with the hill program, I start at level 10, every minute I put it up a level up to 6 mins and then put it down a level every minute after that.

* Squats- hold a 3kg dumbell in each hand and hold at shoulder level, as you push up out of the squat push the dumbells toward the ceiling, as you go down pull them back down to your shoulders, holding your elbows in. 3 sets of 20 reps.

* Jump squats - no dumbells this time, just squat and then jump out of the squat lifting your arms up toward the ceiling. 3 sets of 10 reps.

* Shoulder press - whatever weight you're comfortable with, I'm at 20kg, do 3 sets of 12 reps

* Seated Row - same as above, I'm at 25kg. 3 sets of 12 reps

* Treadmill - elevation at maximum, speed between 5 and 6km/hr (I'm quite short though 5'2"). 5 mins.

* Stationary bike - depending on the type of bike as to the levels you have it on. I start on level 5 and every minute put it up a level till I'm up on level 9. 5 mins. I should note that last week I used a different bike where the levels weren't the same and started on level 10. Basically by the last minute you should be struggling to even pedal! hehe

* Abs - 3kg medicine ball twists. 3 sets of 20

* Planks - 3 x 30 seconds.

* Stretch.

This program takes about an hour or so. Hope this was helpful!
  • kkarrolle
    kkarrolle Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a ploy to force members to pay for personal training. I would think that they would be open to more legal action by not providing programs, what if someone who is completely inexperienced does their own program, no idea of weights, reps, sets and proper form injures themselves.

May as well go to the cheaper unmanned 24/7 gyms.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I go to fitness first, and if you are new member at the moment you get a free PT session, you should ask about that, because you may have missed out. Also they have a $59 deal where you get 3 PT sessions for that price, might be worth doing to get a program written up.

GG
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Bizarre - I would have thought you'd be more likely to have an injury if you DON'T have a program!
    I'd find another gym (if there is one nearby).
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a ploy to force members to pay for personal training. I would think that they would be open to more legal action by not providing programs, what if someone who is completely inexperienced does their own program, no idea of weights, reps, sets and proper form injures themselves.

From my experience with Fitness First I would expect that every decision they make is a dollar one, so I agree with the ploy theory. Everyone I know in Brisbane calls them Finance First.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I have not been a member of Fitness First, but I really have no inclination to join. I belong to an EFM and I love it. For me the idea of coming in each morning with the same bunch of people, getting to know them all by name and spurring eachother on is hugely motivating (not to mention the crap they give you if you miss a session or two) so it keeps you accountable.

The trainers are generally of a pretty high standard, I have worked with three main trainers and several assistants now, and they have all been good. They write up a new program for you each day too, so you get good bang for your buck and helps witht he boredom of doing the same thing over and over (which used to mean me giving up).

If I leave the gym I'm at now (and that'll only be if I move house), I'll look for another smaller gym or something with a good team feel to it, the big commercial gyms hold no interest for me any more.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

I was Fitness First years ago. I didn't sign a contract and when I tried to quit they kept quoting my the 'contract I had signed" When I asked them to produce it, they produced a contract that had my signature on it. Which was NOTHING like how I sign documents. I advised them that as they had clearly forged my signature (and showed them my drivers licence and credit card with my actual signature) I would be obtaining a lawyer and suing for fraud. Not only did the manager (who went white when I showed the signatures) cancel my membership, but I got all my money refunded :)

I'm with Anytime Fitness in Perth and I love them. Cheapish and if I ever have any problems the staff will help me.
  • heart_explodes
    heart_explodes Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I don't trust FF at all either. Had one terrible experience a few years ago. I signed up for a 2 week trial and it cost me lik $30 or something. I signed up online and pretty much within 10 minutes of hitting the submit button I had a guy calling me asking when I was coming in. When I wouldn't commit to a particular day and time (nothing on the website said that I needed a run through with a staff member, as far as I was aware it was a come in and do your thing kind of deal). He called me every day, up to 8 times a day was the worst day, for the next month.
    I never even ended up going because I was so turned off by that guys pushiness.
    He even called me in case of emergency contact trying to get to me.
    Worst experience with a gym I have ever had.
  • carolww
    carolww Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of good programs in books that I would recommend. Most of these books you can get on Amazon pretty cheaply.

1. New Rules of Lifting - Lou Schuler
    2. New Rules of Lifting for Women - Lou Schuler
    3. Female Body Breakthrough - Rachel Cosgrove

These will give you over a years programming. I have done all three and would throroughly recommend them. I would engage a decent PT to get you started on proper form for squats, deadlifts etc. You may have to fiddle around a bit at first to find the correct weights for you... Start light with proper technique. Results will quickly follow. :smile:
  • toebass
    toebass Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow! There's so many horror stories on here about ff!!!!

I go to recreation at the moment and they're great.. Only thing i font like is that the gyms dont have free rociprocal rights..

There's a brand new gym openning near my house at GESAC so i've joined there too, when it finally opens i'll cancel my recreation membership and start going there... It's cheaper and i get access to all the pools as well!!!!
  • Flutterby1976
    Options
    Change gyms. You pay for a service not just the equipment. I've been going regularly for nearly 10 years and even though I could write my own programs now having someone to discuss my program changes every 6-8 weeks gives me new ideas, keeps me motivated and changes it up so I dont stagnate. Seriously, find somewhere else to go- you should be able to break contract given they've changed your membership conditions so significantly.
  • lawrahmck
    Options
    It does sound like a ploy to get you into PT but even still, they have a duty of care to teach you how to use the equipment. I would take it higher & ensure they give you an introduction session & write a program at the very least. Ask for management or you could post on their FB page - they are reasonably responsive on there.

There's so many sites online which will give you free programs, but that doesn't help you in making sure that you are actually performing the exercise correctly.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a FF member. They can be turds but I have a really good rate so it is a winner for me. I would complain and say that the programs were a reason you signed up to the more expensive FF rather than a cheaper gym that doesn't offer them. If they won't budge it is time to take it beyond your branch and talk to head office.

That said the only class I do is a cycle class, the rest is off my own back so I don't notice the no programs thing.

I would look at a mixture of the following to stay interested and add variety to your routine

Tabata (mix them up with bike sprints, KB swings, Box jumps, rows..blah blah blah)

Weight (big movements, big weight. Deadlifts, Squats, Bench Press...obviously proper form is number 1 on the importance scale)

Crossfit style WODs (plenty of websites/apps will come up with a WOD for you based on what you enter.Wodbox on android is very good)

Enjoy and good luck