Progress Check - What's Working, What's Not?

Options
Okay - Week 3 of the new year has officially started and I decided to stop and take note of my progress. Like MACNana's post, I'm not seeing enough so I thought I'd review, assess, and modify as needed.

What's Working:
I've done 11 workouts since 1/1 - and that was my main focus. To establish a good workout time/routine and get used to it. Progress!

Logging:
I've actually logged for every day - I've just done it daily because of late school nights. This is good because I get to look back and see why I haven't lost any weight yet. It's my diet.

Diet:
I've made some good changes here - eating breakfast (which I was skipping) and getting lots of veggies, taking my vitamins and drinking plenty of water. However, there were several nights Hubby and I would drink some wine and then I was not so concerned about what I ate.

So - the bottom line assessment: Good on the workouts, good on the water, vitamins and veggies. No more alcohol and I'm going to stick to my 1200 cals a day. I REALLY want to get this weight off and feel a difference by the summer. To help keep me accountable, I'm going to open up my food diary to my friends. (Please no judging as you look back on the days I went over :embarassed: - but this is an invitation to keep my butt as needed :bigsmile:

How are you guys doing?

Replies

• suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Getting back into the workout routine. Was walking daily, but weather has turned too cold! Do AquaZumba twice a week, adding a regular Zumba class beginning tonight. Hoping that the weather cooperates a couple days a week as I love walking.
  • Tobybears
    Options
    I track my food every day and try not to go over but if I do, I just do the exercise that I need to do to get extra calories. It really does keep me motivated. I lost weight but then with the holiday's gained some of it back.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Tracking is definitely a key.
  • cecehite19
    cecehite19 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me being acountable to myself by tracking is so important. I write down every little bite. I have managed to eat below my target of 1500 calories and seem to be eating 900-1300 everyday. I am a little concerned about the days I do not eat as many as the site recommends. I have been eating every 3-4 hours while awake but I have been very creative in my cooking to keep calories low. My favorite is the homemade cabbage vegetable soup which is only 150 calories a serving and fills me up. The other key has been my husband who is also on a weightloss journey. We do not monitor each other but try to be a support and find comfort in the evenings eating the same thing. I am exercising 3-5 x per week for 30 min on our treadmill and I also do situps and lift arm weights. Since January 1st I have lost only 5 lbs but In feel as though its real and not water weight. I am still working away and feel my new lifestyle will payoff in the end.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing great, cecehite! Next time you're in the grocery store, notice how big a 5 lb. bag of flour is and realize you worked that off of your body - that's fantastic!

This week I'm also discovering that when cooking light meals, I get a lot of food. Last night, I considered eating another snack to get to my 1200 cals, but realized I truly wasn't hungry so didn't want to eat. I'm sure I'll have other days where I am hungry that will balance that out.

The cabbage soup sounds like a great recipe. I tried mashed cauliflower (instead of potatoes) last night, and both me and my hubby loved it.
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I use cauliflower in place of pasta with spaghetti sauce - that is probably my favorite. I also use it in place of rice with stir fry.
  • cecehite19
    Options
    Joanneonline....that is so funny because I prepared the cauliflower mash last night for the first time too! I added several cloves of garlic to the cauliflower while it boiled and then put it in the food processor too. It was Very flavorful. I also added a little greek yogurt for the creamy factor. One of our new obcessions is spaghetti squash! So easy and delicious. I swear it tastes like pasta when we add the parmesan cheese! If anyone has not tried it you should! It is super low in calories.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    That sounds absolutely delicious! I didn't think of adding the garlic cloves - brilliant! We need to share these recipes. Both my husband and I love to cook. I suspect you do to cecehite?
  • cecehite19
    Options
    Joanneonline- yes, I am passionate about cooking a bonifide FOODIE! I have 300+ cookbooks which I read like novels then do my own thing from what I know. My family says I need to write up my recipes, which I am trying to do better at knowing what I did. The joke is it always tastes great...just never the same even though it might just be chili ha ha! I am starting to photograph my things and I plan to start sharing online real soon. Now I am trying to find anyway I can to cut calories and add lots of flavor. Sorry you asked a simple question and I can go on and on.......:)
  • joanneonline
    Options
    My husband cooks just like that - I call him gourmet cook - instead of chef :) because he'll just throw things together (never the same way twice) but always delicious. I don't know how he knows certain things will taste good together. Sounds like you may have the same talent :)

I've done several recipe makeovers. We'll have to get them together and share them.
  • MACNana2
    MACNana2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My problem was not being accountable when I over did my food intake. I had a scrapbook weekend and ate more than my fair share. Once I start eating it is hard to stop. Although I didn't gain, I wasn't losing. I spent this week recording all my food, making sure I exercised, and worked on water intake. My goal is to increase my vegetables next week and I am loving the suggestions on this post.

With just monitoring my intake and exercising, I lost 2.6 pounds. I will also increase my exercise next week to continue the trend.
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Great results, MACNana. I had an excellent week until a splurge last night. But I recorded the intake so I can see an honest picture of what I'm doing. I realize that's life - once in a while, I'm gonna eat more. As long as I'm back on track and the trend is a healthy one, I know I'll get there.

Logging does help keep things in perspective. As I started adding up the appetizers and drinks - it was enlightening. Made me realize I could do less damage with better choices.
  • cecehite19
    Options
    Heading down to Florida to visit my daughter and Grandson! I hope I can keep up what I have been doing. I plan to bring my computer so I can stay connected to MFP and the support of friends online! 6 days I can do this!!!!
  • joanneonline
    Options
    Yes, you can do this! Enjoy your family - go do some fun things together. I look forward to hearing about the trip. Glad you will stay connected :happy: