Yoga calories

Options
CJT40
CJT40 Posts: 6 Member
Hello! I was wondering if anyone might have an idea regarding the calories burned for 1 hour of yoga? I am an instructor so I do at least an hour a day or more, but the calories that MFP comes up with has got to be wrong....I know I burn more than 130 calories! Any thoughts? :smile:

Replies

• CJT40
    CJT40 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Excuse me.....it says 145 calories burned.....I know its more than that!
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I definitely work out harder in my power class than in 1 hour of walking but MFP says I burn more walking!

I guess the problem is that there are SO many types of yoga and it differs from class to class. A gentle hatha class is not comparable to a power core class. I've looked up a few calculators online but they differ so greatly, it's hard to make a proper estimate.

here's a few:
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp?exercise=71
    http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/activity/calculators/power_yoga/result?calculators=/health-fitness/activity/calculators/power_yoga&met=6.7&weightPounds=163&duration=60&activity=&submit.x=57&submit.y=16

Of course nothing is accurate unless we measure with a HRM.....

How are everyone calculating their burns?
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say that you don't burn that many calories during (hatha) yoga. I certainly wouldnt say you burn like 300 calories or anything.

I personally don't trust most of those calorie counters anyways. My friend had a Body Bug. And she MIGHT have burned 357 calories during a spin class. Depending on which calorie counter you look up online, they're going to claim you'll burn 5-600 calories during a spin class. And when she was on the treadmill, she would burn about 100 calories less than what the treadmills claimed.
    The Body Bug took your heart rate into account, your body temperature, and your height/weight. So it was pretty accurate.
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wear a Heart Rate Monitor when I do Yoga X (part of the P90x Program) and I burn similar calories to a cardio workout 90 min @ 650-800 calories. For regular Yoga practice I usually just go by what MFP has, since the workouts are typical 30-60 minutes and aren't as fast paced.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Having a HRM will help you calculate more accurately. It's all merely a math equation:
    Formula

The Journal of Sports Sciences provides a calorie expenditure formula for each gender. Men use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.2017) -- (Weight x 0.09036) + (Heart Rate x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x Time / 4.184. Women use the following formula: Calories Burned = [(Age x 0.074) -- (Weight x 0.05741) + (Heart Rate x 0.4472) -- 20.4022] x Time / 4.184.
    Calculation

Let your age be 32 years and let your weight be 173 lbs. for this example. You're male and your average heart rate during a 37-minute exercise session was 133 bpm. Your calorie expenditure during this exercise session was [(32 x 0.2017) -- (173 x 0.09036) + (133 x 0.6309) -- 55.0969] x 37 / 4.184 = 174 calories.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/221621-formula-for-calories-burned-during-exercise/#ixzz1kCTJIh00
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    i do power yoga and it's about 400 calories per hour :)