My first half!

damionruns
damionruns Posts: 38 Member
Hi Everyone!! Running my first half in June!! Nice to meet ya!

Replies

• damionruns
    oh feel free to add me!
  • bjbixler
    bjbixler Posts: 258 Member
    I'm still new at this too, ran my first half in November, with my second coming up next month. Good Luck with your training!!
  • damionruns
    Thanks!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Mine is planned for May. Good luck!

Pam
  • Also May for my First!
  • Good luck!
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    My first in next month! Eek!! It's getting close. Good Luck!
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    I'm running my first Half next weekend! Feel free to add me :)
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    My first half is on the 17th Feb!! Bit worried as I only have my first 10k race this weekend, I am following Hal's Novice 1 program. My longest run so far is 8 miles.

I would love some advice from others that have been there!
  • jlo0812
    jlo0812 Posts: 12 Member
    Glad to find a group of newbies!! I literally just started running at the beginning of the year and have signed up to do my first ever half (1st ever any kind of race for that matter) April 15th!
    How is everyone's training coming along?
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    All the best with the training. My 1st half is Feb 25th. I am nervous.
  • I have run a few 5Ks and a 10K, but never a half or full marathon. I am wanting to do a half marathon in the near future, so I am here for insight, tips, and motivation. Good luck with everyone's training!
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    My first half is on the 17th Feb!! Bit worried as I only have my first 10k race this weekend, I am following Hal's Novice 1 program. My longest run so far is 8 miles.

How did your race go? Any pointers?
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member

How did your race go? Any pointers?

I finished just under my goal time in 2:28! I had to stop for the loo at the 5k mark and there was a big sandstorm as well, so I am happy with my result. My first half of the race was alot faster than the second, I totally lost the mental battle as the race progressed!

I don't think I was quite ready mentally and strength wise to run my best race, but I don't regret a thing! It was so amazing to cross that finish line, I keep reliving the moment in my head!!

Pointers? Strength train, my thighs were so sore!! The mental battle is the hardest, the voice telling me to stop just would not quit, and being inexperienced in the distance I just did not have enough confidence in myself to give it my all because I don't think that I quite believed that I could make it to the end.

So believe in yourself and enjoy it, because it truly is an amazing experience!!