ANY SUGGESTIONS ON MOTIVATION TO EXERCISE?

Options
jerber160
jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
help.. can't make myself.. i hang posters. check out threads of fit people... help

Replies

• soccerfreak47
    soccerfreak47 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with transitioning from one thing to another. I do my work out first thing in the morning. I wake up and want nothing more than to stay in bed and go back to sleep and finish that dream i was having. I have forced myself to develop habits that lead me to working out. i have my alarm set across the room so i have to get up and turn it off. I have learned that once i am up and out of bed my desire to go back to sleep isn't there as much. Then i get my "morning coffee" which i have turned into a protein smoothie with some coffee mix in it so it tastes like coffee. I then go back to my room and see my workout clothes that i laid out the night before. Once i get those on and look at that coffee protein shake in my hand i tell my self i have done everything but walk to my apt gym. So I kind of altered my morning routine to get me to slowly transition into work out mode. Once i am in the gym i am fine and good to go. I don't mind running and i love lifting. I just hate the act of stopping what i am doing to get ready and go to the gym. I hope this helps in some way.
  • Muc730
    Muc730 Posts: 24
    Options
    Topic: ANY SUGGESTIONS ON MOTIVATION TO EXERCISE?
    Hey men,

I would have to say that the best motivation to exercise is a few things for me... (1) Look back at an old photo of myself just 5 years ago...(2) Time to time I let things go and my work pants get tight. (3) A wife that believes in exercising as much or more than me.

It really is very easy to let things slid and before you know it the food and lazyness catches up again...If I stop exercising for even 2 weeks..bam !!!! I would rather sit on the couch and watch TV than workout....I also combine working out at all times of the day so I dont get bored with a routine..

Cheers,
  • jerber160
    Options
    it would be great if someone could sneak into my house and wire up a sound system to just blast parliment/funkadelic GET OFF YOUR *kitten* AND JAM at unknown intervals. LOUDLY! anything less,, hmmmm
  • stschwartz
    stschwartz Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. It really helps to know other guys have the same problem getting out of bed :yawn: . I like your ideas and will try a few!
  • escam02g
    escam02g Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too altered my morning routine by having clothes ready to go and my alarm out of my bed to force me UP..... I also keep my routine regimented and timed. Stretch for 3-5 minutes, my cardio is limited to 33 minutes (get heart rate up quickly and keep it up for 30 of the 33 minutes) and three sets of calisthenics/circuit training (eg...50 pushups, 50 sit ups, 25 curls), which last about 20 minutes. I work out daily, cardio only for 3-4 days and cardio circuit training for 3-4 days. It's as important as brushing teeth, needs to happen every day.....stay committed, make public commitments about your goals and let all those that are close to you know your plan. "commitment to consistency"!!!!
  • jerber160
    Options
    I too altered my morning routine by having clothes ready to go and my alarm out of my bed to force me UP..... I also keep my routine regimented and timed. Stretch for 3-5 minutes, my cardio is limited to 33 minutes (get heart rate up quickly and keep it up for 30 of the 33 minutes) and three sets of calisthenics/circuit training (eg...50 pushups, 50 sit ups, 25 curls), which last about 20 minutes. I work out daily, cardio only for 3-4 days and cardio circuit training for 3-4 days. It's as important as brushing teeth, needs to happen every day.....stay committed, make public commitments about your goals and let all those that are close to you know your plan. "commitment to consistency"!!!!
    [OK Timbo. I'm gonna do it. I'm gonna set clothes out beside my bed.... I'm gonna be ready for this tomorrow morning, even if it's only for 15 minutes. 15 will turn into 30.. thank you/quote]
  • Amir74
    Options
    Money!!! My friends and I are in a competition to see who can lose the largest percentage of body weight over a three month period. We look at it as a pregnancy with three trimesters... each week we put in a certain amount of money and whoever loses the most weight that trimester wins the money. Each trimester the amount of money goes up. I've lost 13 pounds in three weeks. I'm very competitive and hate losing.
  • jerber160
    Options
    [biggest loser plans have popped up at the 2 places I work.... I'm not taking part because I've already lost a bunch of weight....]

Money!!! My friends and I are in a competition to see who can lose the largest percentage of body weight over a three month period. We look at it as a pregnancy with three trimesters... each week we put in a certain amount of money and whoever loses the most weight that trimester wins the money. Each trimester the amount of money goes up. I've lost 13 pounds in three weeks. I'm very competitive and hate losing.
    [/quote]
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You need an exercise buddy or else you just haven't found the right exercise for you.

When I was at Uni I had a gym buddy and we used to encourage each other to go workout. Plus he was well-fit and knew what he was doing and I was a complete novice, so I learnt the ropes from him which has stood me in good stead all those years.

I must admit, I don't like going to the gym; I just don't get that buzz or adrenalin rush when working out, be it on the cardio machines, or doing a strength program. I really need a buddy to come and kick my butt and get me to work on my strength, because I know I really ought to do it to improve my core strength and tone up my saggy bod.

But I love to swim and I enjoy getting on my push bike, so that works for me and I'm an early bird so it works for me :happy: