1/17 How do you get enough fiber?

Options
amycal
amycal Posts: 646 Member
I followed the paleo plan pretty strictly in the fall and I did start to lose some pounds but I found my digestive system could not handle it. I am much more regular when I have oatmeal a few days a week and beans as well. I always eat a lot of vegetables at lunch and dinner. I am not eating many grains now but am struggling with the idea of giving up my oatmeal and beans.

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi - from what I read about the Primal stuff, including enough leafy greens and some fruits with enough fats should do the trick, at least it did for me. I was heavily reliant on miralax and metamucil for years and got pretty "stopped up" from oatmeal and beans and grains without realizing it. :grumble: So, I guess our digestive systems don't have a lot in common! LOL

That said, I do find that kefir with all it's probiotic stuff is a good idea for long term healthy digestion (not a quick solution though). And, the understanding that once we cut out grains and processed stuff there is a reduced amount of waste our body will need to eliminate. That was a hard one to get my mind around!!

I think it is good to find what works for you and your system and if oatmeal and beans do thie trick and you feel healthier for it, than that just might be a great answer. :wink: Experiement with several options and try no to go crazy waiting for results....it can get frustrating for sure.

I am not expert by anymeans and am following the Primal whcih I think is different from Paleo to a degree, so please take what I say with a grain of salt :flowerforyou:
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Fiber shouldn't be an issue if your ratio of plants to animals is reasonable. A lot of paleo followers like to think the diet is license to chow down on 16 ounce steaks with a little side salad (I tend to do this as well). In actuality, the meat should be about the size of your palm (4-6 oz) and then eat as much leafy greens as you want to fill you up. This should eliminate the fiber issue.

Also, look for veg that are high fiber. Cabbage, Brussels sprouts, etc. etc. Check the MFP database.

Last: chia seeds. Like okra, they produce a gel that it all soluble fiber. Unlike okra, it's tasty. It makes a nice pudding - nice to have a high-fiber pudding. But I also think it might be usable as a hot breakfast porridge, which could replace oatmeal.
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    If your diet allows it, eat an apple. It's got both kinds of fiber in it and it's good for you. Just don't eat too many at once! ;)
  • RhymingOrange
    RhymingOrange Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a really interesting thread on this over at MDA: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46822.html
    Basically, the argument is that part of the reason you're not seeing as much regularity as you used to is that your body is actually absorbing all of those nutrient you're putting into it, not trying to expel things out of your system.

Also, I find that adding in more coconut oil helps me in this department. I made some AMAZING homemade coconut butter using NomNomPaleo's recipe (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/9869555953/homemade-coconut-butter, which is adapted from TheClothesMakeTheGirl: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/02/22/homemade-coconut-butter-f-yeah/). I eat a couple of tablespoons of that everyday. I find it curbs any sweet cravings, adds in healthy oils, and keeps me satiated. My only problem is not eating too much of it - it's like crack. That said, the few days I've had a bit of a "binge" (usually around TOM), I've actually showed up lighter on the scales the next day. Coconut oil rocks!!