Dealing with loved ones!

Options
Goingnuts2
Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
My husband cracks me up, he's very supportive (a little too supportive)! He has to be careful with his sodium and therefore his favorite food "cheese" is on the chopping block! I told him he could have the cheese, but needs to actually measure the serving. He is alloted 1/4 cup. At first it was like, ahh that's not much, then smart alick comments "oh boy, can't wait to measure my cheese". me....chuckling inside! It's been about a week and he has gotten used to measuring and eating his cheese, even gave up his cottage cheese!!

Now going shopping with him is awful! We are label readers and he gets upset if I buy frozen foods or canned soup! I understand they are full of sodium, but I also have MFP dairy showing me my daily intake and it is in check. Having one or the other once a day is doable, I wouldn't eat both a frozen meal and canned soup because my daily allotment would go over!

I'm lucky to have him, even though he is a PITA (Pain In The *kitten*)!!

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a monster. But darn a quick can of soup is nice.
  • SherNY
    SherNY Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm a label reader...he is not. So, I stick to a list, take time to compare, etc. Not so bad, but if I ask him to go to the store? It's all about what's quick to grab and just...STUFF. We have 2 very different ways of shopping. I hate shopping for anything, but try to take the time to do things right.
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My husband cracks me up, he's very supportive (a little too supportive)! He has to be careful with his sodium and therefore his favorite food "cheese" is on the chopping block! I told him he could have the cheese, but needs to actually measure the serving. He is alloted 1/4 cup. At first it was like, ahh that's not much, then smart alick comments "oh boy, can't wait to measure my cheese". me....chuckling inside! It's been about a week and he has gotten used to measuring and eating his cheese, even gave up his cottage cheese!!

Now going shopping with him is awful! We are label readers and he gets upset if I buy frozen foods or canned soup! I understand they are full of sodium, but I also have MFP dairy showing me my daily intake and it is in check. Having one or the other once a day is doable, I wouldn't eat both a frozen meal and canned soup because my daily allotment would go over!

I'm lucky to have him, even though he is a PITA (Pain In The *kitten*)!!

Kathy -

Laughed my butt off when I read about his smart-*kitten* comments.

I'm beginning to become a label reader now too. Husband will never do it, unless mine or the kids' health are in danger. He would never do it for himself.

I'm now starting to talk to him about joining the sight, since he complains over and over again about his weight gain.

When we went skiing last weekend, neither his snow bibs nor his ski boots fit him anymore. Had to rent both for him!
    Now that it's hitting his wallet, he may do something about it now.

~katie
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    My husband and I went out Sunday morning to the grocery store because I wanted to cook up a big Sunday-style breakfast - Im very motivated to get my Spring cleaning done early as Im about to start my new job on 1/30/12!!!

My husband has been AWESOME with my whole dietary changes. Thankfully he loves the dishes I create (spent many wonderful years working as a chef), and often enjoys going grocery shopping with me to see the things I get. He asks questions too, which really makes me feel like he does care.

He even reads LABELS with me and asks questions (who the hell kidnapped my husband and put the body-double in?) and he even gets SHOCKED at what he finds.

But, it doesnt stop him from enjoying his fried chicken, or his Pepsi or Root Beer, and his splurges on ice-cream! LOL!!!! But, thats ok... he eats really healthy with me and still allows himself to enjoy his junk-type foods... George actually has done quite better for himself as well.. .he used to chug two 2-liters worth A DAY of soda... now, one 2-liter lasts a week.... So I definitely give him kudos!
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    From what I have learned and read the sodium level should be more like 1500 mg instead of 2500+. Congratulations with your husband! I love that and admire that about him. Best of luck!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Wait until he gets home to see the sexy sales on meats I found!

Im cooking up some pork ribs with my dry rub, getting a big chunkin' steak into cubes for beef stew and BIG HONKIN' HUGE CHICKEN breasts for me - roasted with garlic-herb "budduh"...