Where In the Philly Area do you live?

Options
Which county do you live in and if in Philly, what section of the city do you live in? Do you like where you live, why or why not?

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I figured I would combine all of the county threads here. I live in Philadelphia near the montgomery county border. The section of the city I live in is the Andorra/Roxborough section. I like it a lot, it is quiet and fairly safe, but also has decent public transportation to get to center city. That is convienent for me since I work at Drexel and use public transportation to get to and from work. I have lived in this part of the city for a few years and have lived in a few other parts of philly as well. Been living in Philly for most of my life.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I live in Fishtown. It's alright. My mortgage is low, and I have a lot of ties to the community from living here so long, but there's been more crime lately which is not good. There's two new places with great veg options though.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I work in Northern Liberties and park behind Finnigan's Wake. You're right, there is definitely an upswing in crime around here. Lots of vandalism where I park, and there were a couple of murders over the summer near where I used to park (6th and Spring Garden by the new Dollar Store). When I lived in the city I started out in the Fairmount section; moved to Center City on 16th and Locust; then moved to South Philly (11th and Tasker). Now my husband, 7 year old and I live in Delaware County primarily for the schools.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I live in DelCo. I'm originally from Chicago, moved here April 2009 so there is still so much of Philly and it's burbs that I haven't seen. I do like it here. I miss Chicago at times but there are a lot of similar things here so it's not like I moved out of my comfort zone(I miss pizza the most lol). I do like having closer weekend getaway options here like the shore and Poconos for camping. I'm happy with DelCo. I do wish I lived in the city sometimes but then I love having a backyard, driveway and hassle free parking. I work in south Philly near the sports complex so where I live isn't too far. If traffic is good it only takes 20-25 min. I'm close to the Regional Rail so that is nice for trips to Center City.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I live in Blue Bell (Montco) near Montgomery County Community College. I'm looking to move into a townhome or condo this spring/summer.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Sorry - slow computer connection = stupid double posts! =P
  • Kim_SFB
    Kim_SFB Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I live in Philadelphia County, West Oak Lane and yeah crime is getting bigger here.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I live in the Gray's Ferry area of Philadelphia. It's not a great neighborhood, but it's not horrible either.
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I live in the Gray's Ferry area of Philadelphia. It's not a great neighborhood, but it's not horrible either.

I know what you mean. I lived there for 5 years when I was a kid. Wasn't so great then either, but it could have been worse.
  • tricia19444
    Options
    Hi... I am in Montco on the border of Lafayette Hill/Conshohocken.
    We just moved here over the summer from Southern California for my husband to take a new job here.
    We work in Conshy too, so we don't have to travel far during the week. And we have two teen daughters that are busy in all sorts of activities and socializing.
    But we love to explore the city and the countryside thats all around us. I love all the farm markets available... We usually go to Reading Terminal once a month, the Wayne one every couple weeks, and usually venture out to the Amish area (Intercourse/Bird In Hand) about every 6 weeks. I love all the history available and enjoy the art museum. We usually take the dogs out to Mt Vernon every couple weeks in that big lawn out there.

I didn't join MFP or start to lose weight till moving here.... its been a life change for all of us in such a good way, after living our whole lives in California.
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi.. originally from Toronto, Ontario but moved to this area in '95 for my then fiance / now husband - living in beautiful, historic Bucks County. We are in Fairless Hills but I work in KOP.. I love this area .. there is so much to do and I am close enough to some great shopping ..
  • Sharont213
    Sharont213 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hi.. originally from Toronto, Ontario but moved to this area in '95 for my then fiance / now husband - living in beautiful, historic Bucks County. We are in Fairless Hills but I work in KOP.. I love this area .. there is so much to do and I am close enough to some great shopping ..
  • vickijank
    vickijank Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "I"m from Philly, and by "Philly" I mean a Philadelphia suburb"

Bucks County to be exact :)
  • TiasF
    TiasF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    hi :) i live in the university city area because i go to school there. Philly has been a great city (I am from alabama originally)
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    "I"m from Philly, and by "Philly" I mean a Philadelphia suburb"

Bucks County to be exact :)

Me to in Bucks County Area middle of Bucks County:flowerforyou:
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    In NE philly by Grant and Blvd the neighborhood is not good at all. I need to move and soon. I see drug deals on my block, my neighbors are loud and rude. I was working in Philly but now that I work from home, NO reason to spend crazy amounts of $ on car insurance, 8 percent sales tax, and 4. whatever in wage tax. It's dirty too, neighbors don't pick up after themselves or their animals. I want to live where it's more peaceful!
  • harlip
    harlip Posts: 21
    Options
    I live in Horsham which is in Montgomery county a few miles north of the city. I have lived hear for about 6 years, Its a decent area, pretty quiet. Not the city but still close enough to everything. I will probably stay there atleast until my daughter Graduates from Hatboro-Horsham High School. I work in West Chester which is a pretty good drive but I hate to have my daughter change shcools she has a good group of friends and only a couple years left. I was born and raised in the country about 1- 1/2 hrs north of philly. I liked the country alot but now that I have had the convenience of having Walmart, Giant, Wawa and numerous restaraunts being withing a 5 minute radius I don't know if I could live there now.
  • daddylaw
    Options
    Center City
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    In NE philly by Grant and Blvd the neighborhood is not good at all. I need to move and soon. I see drug deals on my block, my neighbors are loud and rude. I was working in Philly but now that I work from home, NO reason to spend crazy amounts of $ on car insurance, 8 percent sales tax, and 4. whatever in wage tax. It's dirty too, neighbors don't pick up after themselves or their animals. I want to live where it's more peaceful!
    This is basically my view in a nutshell of most of Philadelphia including where I live. There are definitely nice areas that aren't like this, I just can't afford to live in them.
  • allisonshaw710
    allisonshaw710 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I live in DelCo. I'm originally from Chicago, moved here April 2009 so there is still so much of Philly and it's burbs that I haven't seen. I do like it here. I miss Chicago at times but there are a lot of similar things here so it's not like I moved out of my comfort zone(I miss pizza the most lol). I do like having closer weekend getaway options here like the shore and Poconos for camping. I'm happy with DelCo. I do wish I lived in the city sometimes but then I love having a backyard, driveway and hassle free parking. I work in south Philly near the sports complex so where I live isn't too far. If traffic is good it only takes 20-25 min. I'm close to the Regional Rail so that is nice for trips to Center City.

Where in DelCo do you live? Me too. I am pretty new to MFP and also to this Philly group.