Large People, Small Victories!

Options
AlmstHvn
AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
I started at 147 lbs over my goal weight (MY goal weight, not my doctor's, which is probably even lower)... anyway - one thing that can be discouraging is that it takes SO LONG to reach milestones like going down a clothing size.... So... what "NSV" (non-scale victories) do you celebrate - or look forward to celebrating?

For me - being able to zip my winter coat. Last year I had to go get a 4x because my 3x no longer closed. This year I'm back in the 3x!

I'm looking forward to wearing a necklace my husband gave me for Christmas this year - he didn't realize it was an 18" chain which is still too small for me. He wanted to go get a longer chain, but I hung it up as an incentive. I'll get there and wear it with pride!

Replies

• 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I started at 147 lbs over my goal weight (MY goal weight, not my doctor's, which is probably even lower)... anyway - one thing that can be discouraging is that it takes SO LONG to reach milestones like going down a clothing size.... So... what "NSV" (non-scale victories) do you celebrate - or look forward to celebrating?

For me - being able to zip my winter coat. Last year I had to go get a 4x because my 3x no longer closed. This year I'm back in the 3x!

I'm looking forward to wearing a necklace my husband gave me for Christmas this year - he didn't realize it was an 18" chain which is still too small for me. He wanted to go get a longer chain, but I hung it up as an incentive. I'll get there and wear it with pride!

Love the incentive necklace, what a great goal to work at achieving. I think NSVs help greatly in achieving our overall goals, be it a shirt you want to fit into, a necklace, or even a fitness goal. For me, I want to be at a size that I can finally ride roller coasters again. I've never ridden one with my Husband, and I know he's itching to go on one, but has always been held back by my size.
  • kimmerkay
    kimmerkay Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm still pretty new and don't have any NSV yet. Shoot, I don't have any SV yet either. LOL My body is stubborn on losing because of the abuse it has taken in the last 20 years. I'm really looking forward to buying clothes not in the plus size section... CAN'T WAIT!!! How wonderful to shop with my daughter in the same section.....
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    @kimmerkay - you bring up a good point! I'll be glad when I'm buying clothes off the shelf in a store, not having to order from WomanWithin because that's the only place I can find something that's in a short-and-wide size!

I can think of an NSV though - you're here on MFP! And I imagine you're looking at the food you eat in a new way! That's a great step!
  • shalomabeth
    shalomabeth Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    wow I am between a 1x and 2x if i got a 3 or 4x i would be swimming in that. I am still needing to lose so i can be back at a size 16 and i will get there one step at a time.
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    wow I am between a 1x and 2x if i got a 3 or 4x i would be swimming in that. I am still needing to lose so i can be back at a size 16 and i will get there one step at a time.

That's a bit of a dig at those of us wearing a 3-4x, isn't it? :(
  • 8bitAlina
    8bitAlina Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    wow I am between a 1x and 2x if i got a 3 or 4x i would be swimming in that. .

I'm sure you didn't mean it the way it came out, but it did sound a bit mean. No need to make those who are wearing larger sizes feel bad. We're all here for the same reason :)
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    Sizes are pretty goofy anyway - true of all ladies' clothing sizes, but especially in the larger ones , I think! I have a pair of 4x pants that are snug, a pair of 3x's that are so baggy they all but fall off - and 2xs that either fit, are too big or too small! It totally messes with the joy of cheering "I'm down a size!" when the next pair doesn't work. As long as the inches are going down and not up, I'm happy!
  • mbar12
    mbar12 Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Awesome victory!
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Cheering for your continued success! This has been a loverly thread. I'm encouraged. Perhaps that can be viewed as a victory~ to know that you encouraged another is a wonderful thing. Thank you
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    Something occurred to me today. Last winter, between my belly and the winter coat, the steering wheel rubbed against me. Now, even with a coat, there's a couple of inches of space between. *happy dance!

Take those victories where you find them and CELEBRATE!