New here with surgery scheduled

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
Hi all, I am Mary, I am 35 years old, a RN, a mom of 3 boys and a wife. I weigh 248 lbs and have srgery schedule on March 15th, I am super psyched and cant wait. I previously made the decision to have the lap band, but at my last appt, they asked what srgery I wanted and now I am not sure. I like the idea of the band because it is a tool that seems to be more long term, with more ppl keeping the weight off over a longer period of time as opposed to the full gastric. I of course am going to speak with my srgeon in regards to this and will make a well informed choice. I think that the main reason I want to possible have the full gastric is because I will lose the weight a bit faster and I know that is a dumb reason, as I am going to be doing this the rest of my life, but I am sick sick sick of being heavy, sick of aching and sick of hurting, I want it GONE...I can keep it gone that wont be a problem, I have the motivation and the support system to do so. The biggest factor to me choosing one or the other is how mch weight I really need to lose to be healthy and how much time I will be out of work. I previously lost 80 lbs using diet exercise and pills, I had babies and gained it back some due to that and some due to my own accord. I got down to 170 and was good, but I would like to be 150 and no less.

So my questions are this...if you have had the surgery (either one) tell me how you are and how you felt ect...how much time you were off work...now take this into consideration, both of these procedures will be laproscopic/

Thanks for your input, I look forward to reading them.

Mary

Replies

• skatermom503
    Options
    Welcome, Mary. I had the bypass in October. In my opinion, you might just do the band. It is reversible and adjustible. And it seems to have good results. Seems like a good choice for you since you really don't have tht much to lose. I started at 395#. I don't mean your extra weight doesn't bother you just as much as mine bothers me, it's just that if I had it to do again, I would have chosen the band. No going back if you have the bypass. Just letting you know. Choose whatever is right for you and you will be fine. I am an RN too but am pretty much retired, partly due to my weight. You will like this site and this group. It is very supportive and no one seems to be judgmental in the least. Good luck to you. Feel free to friend me if you would like.
    Bonnie
  • skatermom503
    Options
    The lap band is a day procedure and the RNY requires at least one or two (2 for me) nights in the hospital. With the RNY you can get up as soon as you feel like it but NPO until the morning after surgery. I was on a PCA so pain was controlled quite well. I was surprised at how easy the initial recovery was. I was off pain meds in less than a week post op! Some gas pains a few days out because they fill your abdomen with it during the procedure. They try to get it all out but you know how that goes. I had to do liquids for the first 2 weeks, purees for the next 2 weeks, then 2 weeks of soft, and then was able to try anything. Personally, and I seem to be an exception, I have struggled with finding things I can eat. Breads of any kind are history. Mostly I live on protein shakes now. But again, that is specific to me. Many people whose surgery is even more recent than mine, are able to eat solid foods without any problems. I also had to have my gall bladder removed and a ventral hernia repair 2 weeks ago so this has been difficult for me. And they did a hiatal hernia repair during the bypass. Anyway, mine is more of a semi-horror story but you should know what can happen but I think more often than not, people have had a good experience and very few regret their decision.
    Now, I should say, all doctors are different, especially in the post op regimen so this is just my experience.
  • MarilynJ6354
    MarilynJ6354 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band done 2 years ago today! A lot has changed. No more type II diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoporosis, joint pain...all is gone. Just working on getting rid of the sleep apnea. I have lost 48 lbs, which doesn't seem like a lot but I only have 80 to lose total so I am pleased. I have lost 27 inches and went from size 18 pants and 3X tops to size 12 pants and XL or Lg tops! I had the surgery on a Tuesday and went home that day but the following morning I couldn't keep down ice cubes so I went to the doctor and "someone" forgot to take the test fill fluid out before they sent me to recovery! Once that was removed I was fine. I miss my diet coke and pasta. I STILL can't eat eggs for some reason. Just be careful what kind of "soft" food you eat. Ice cream doesn't count! Exercise at least 3 days a week and don't drink anything for 30 min before or after you eat. Take Biotin to help with the hair loss you will probably experience about 3 months after surgery. Lots of protein will help that also. I upped mine to at least 90 grams a day and take Biotin 7500 twice a day.
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had my lap band places on jan 3, 2012. Very excited but I am not sure I am looking forward to hair loss. I wonder if I should start early with the boitin? I am very happy so far with the results I am getting. I have lost 12 lbs so far. Glad to see that you are half way there. Keep up the good work.
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your replies, I am leaning more towards the bypass....since my weighin 2 weeks ago (a few days less actually) I have lost 9-10 lbs, depending on the scale. so I can do this, I just need some help. I have made the required changes and such and I am ready to go. I will keep you all updated on my progress and please feel free to add me as a friend, we all need the support and motivation for days when life is good and days when it is not soo good.

Hugs and love to all

Mary
  • mamaholt80
    Options
    Hi,my name is Taciana,I'm 31 years old,married,mother of 4 and a SAHM.
    I'm new here,and I have my Lap Band surgery schedule for Feb 2nd.I can't wait.
    I know it's going to be a lot of work,but I'm ready!
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I am Geri, 52, 5'2" and weigh upwards of 260. I have dieted for 40 years (yes they put me on a diet program at 12) and have lost probably 500 pounds through out the years - but have put everyting back on except for 15 pounds. I have almost everything that obesity causes except for diabetes. I too am tired of the CPAP, the HBP meds, the chloestoral meds, the arthritis, the aches pains, the inablitly to see my feet, the list goes on. I am excited to do this - scared at the same time. But a friend who had this has told me to take it a week at a time - not to try to picture it all at once. I am still learning the changes that will need to be made to utilize this tool I am going to add to my diet tookkit... Oh and as of this time surgery is scheduled for 2/16 if insurance will get off of its collective butt.
  • Mrsfoxtrot
    Mrsfoxtrot Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    On June 6, 2010, I made the decision to have the WLS, and decided on the gastric bypass at that time. I went to all the required classes and doc appt and had my surgery on Jan 10, 2012. I am 13 day out so I am still on full liquids. I go back to the doc on Wed., so I should be moving to Phase 3! I chose the bypass for several reasons: it was perm. and I didn't need to have needles to have fluid put in. I am also a diabetic so the best option for me was the bypass. I ended up gaining 22 pounds in the hospital (stayed 3 days) and it took 8 days to lose it. When I started this journey back in June I was 261 pounds. The day of surgery I weighed 226.6 pounds, this morning my weight was 220.8 pounds. Now, I haven't started exercising (this includes just plain old walking) due to the fact a few days ago I pulled my groin muscle....can you say OUCH! I am looking forward to my new life journey!
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    you guys thank you sooo much for all your replies and for sharing your stories and for the friendship. I have decided to have the bypass, I am firm in that decision, but I have yet to talk with my bariatric coordinator to let her know of my decision. tentatively I am schedule for the 15th of March, with pre op testing in February towards the end. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this all goes as planned. main convern being insurance. For work I have fmla, so no concern there, and even if there was they cou8ld shove it if they gave me trouble.
    I have been exercising, and trying to eat light in anticipation of the 2 week pre op liquid diet, which I must say I am kinda looking forward to, mainly because it will really be official at that point. All the stuff up until now has kinda been a teaser and makes your want it even more. I hope you all continue to have success, and I look forward to sharing my journey with you.