Need Some Help;

I need a little help. I've been using MFP for about two weeks now and instead of losing one pound a week I've gained two. I started out with 247 lbs and now I stay around 249 lbs. I stay within my calorie limits and exercise four times a week for 30 to 45 mins. Maybe I'm eating the wrong foods. Someone please check my food diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Replies

• sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Your diary doesn't look too bad. Maybe try fresh produce, from my reading there is a lt of processed food (I may be wrong and I'm not one to preach) but there's a lt of sodium in processed food.

Maybe if you incorporate more fruit and veg into your diet you might see a difference. Just what I'm thinking but well done on not giving up!

I gave up a few months ago and regained so I'm back. Like I said I'm not one to preach.. I find when I eat processed or packaged foods instead of making my own meals I lose less weight or even gain.
  • OK Sarah; Thank you so much. I have started eating more fruits and will also add more salads to my diet. I ate a Mango the other day and it was awful. But I won't give up. Thanks again.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    You might be putting on water weight. If you haven't been drinking a lot of water prior to doing this, you may be getting the correct amount now :).
  • jrangel5425
    jrangel5425 Posts: 5 Member
    Hey Brother,

I've been bodybuilding for a while, and made a whole bunch of diet and exercise mistakes in the past. Here's a couple ideas for you:

If you're maintaining calories but adding wieght, the culprit is usually one of three things: Added muscle, Catabolic State, or Water.

Added muscle, of course, is not a bad thing. The only way to tell if this is the situation, though, is to get your bodyfat tested. If the bodyfat is lower, but your wieght is up, congrats!

Catabolic state is not a good thing. It is also the main culprit for failed diets. Your body has two states, Anabolic and Catabolic. Anabolic is when you add muscle and burn fat. Catabolic is when your body stores fat. There are several ways to induce a catabolic state, and one of them is dropping your calories too low, too fast (this causes your body to actually store what little fat it takes in, because it thinks its starving). Another way to cause this is to cut too much protein out of your diet. Read up on the catabolic state online, or in any bodybuilding mag.

Water storage does not come from drinking too much water. Your body actually eliminates more water when it takes in more water, to a point. (there is an extreme level that some athletes will use to shed water, but that is a different animal...) 8 cups a day is a joke. I aim for one gallon a day.

What WILL cause you to store water is excessive sodium, spiked insulin, and not drinking enough water. For too much sodium, take a look at the average "diet" meal in the store. Tropical fruits and melons like pineapples, mangos, melons, etc spike the insulin. Yes yes, fruit is good for you. It has lots of vitamins. But it makes it so you cant burn fat while your insulin is spiked. Berries have the lowest insulin impact. Water depletion does the same thing as a catabolic state does with fat...the body goes into a water starvation mode (dehydration) and holds onto everything it can get.

Best of luck,

Joe
  • TheHungryMedic
    TheHungryMedic Posts: 6 Member
    if it helps you feel better, when ever I start on a "Go" with MFP (will power lacks often) I usually see a small upward trend before I start to loose. If you stay within you Cal limits and make common sense choices with your food then you should start seeing a drop quickly. Hope that helps.