Biggest loser

Options
toebass
toebass Posts: 73 Member
Hi guys

did anyone watch Biggest Loser last night?

thoughts?

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I saw a bit of it... makes me sad :( The fact that some people let themselves get to that point and dont know how to stop the cycle.

I don't really agree with the way they have to have unhealthily fast weightloss, but I guess we have to remember its entertainment first, and health second...

I'll probably still keep watching, it's like watching a car crash, you know its bad but you still cant bring yourself to look away! ;D
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I kind of felt I should be angry at the show for implying that if you just lose weight your confidence issues that stop you from finding a partner will disappear.

Ive never really watched the show but my friend (who is tiny btw) posted on facebook that 9 minutes in she was crying, so I downloaded out of curiosity. I don't talk to her much since High School, but if she's the same girl I knew back them the reason she would be crying is because its exactly how she used to feel when I knew here - and that had nothing to do with weight, but self perception.

The emphasis on weightloss = happy love live just bothered me.

The most Ive ever weighed was 86kg though, and my dress size was only 14, so I should probably just keep my mouth shut.
  • rpdaries
    rpdaries Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    have to agree with you all. weight loss does not automatically equal happiness and confidence. I haven't seen the show yet; but will check it out tonight to see what all the hype is about.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Yep - watching it again now because there is nothing else on except for cricket and tennis - groan....................

I don't know - I have never seen one before so I'll need to get into a bit more prior to having an opinion about their mental states. I am however keen to see how they look physically in however many weeks it is - naked - well not completely but how they were weighing in last night - due to losing this so quick if they do.
  • Roblyssa
    Roblyssa Posts: 125
    Options
    I really love this show, although I am not sure why. Could be the whole 'shock' factor for me, it could be motivation, I am not even sure.

I miss it each night on TV, so I have been watching the episodes online, and I was just horrified at how shockingly they were eating on the snippets of the trainers going to tell them they will be on the biggest loser.

One was eating an iced donut, one was eating coco pops in a gigantic bowl on the lounge, one eats mexican food in his car every single night of his life except the one night a month he goes to his parents for a home cooked meal. Such disgusting life habits, people sit and feel sorry for them, then they get 'rescued' by the Biggest Loser, inform the world they 'are ready to change', yet can't complete the first training session without bawling their eyes out or throwing up (mind you, better them than me!!).

But yet, I still watch, horrified at how much their weight is now and inspired when they lose so much each week. I know it's not real. I know they get up at dawn and work out all day every day, no kids to care for, no work to go to, no 'real life' to live. But still, I watch.........
  • thesameas
    thesameas Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do my strength training to that show, hahaha. It motivates me, I guess. I really hate the way the host keeps drilling into the contrstents that they can never be happy until they lose heaps of weight. I find that the trainers themselves arn't like that though.
  • Baby_Chim
    Options
    I cried so hard when (Lydia?) said "Who would want to have kids with me?" It made me so sad that someone could have that perception of themselves. Reminded me of Murielle's Wedding where she said "who'd want to marry me?"

It made me realise how lucky I am to have such a supportive and loving partner, even when everything else is bad, I go home to him. That's why I love the singles concept \this season - love and weight loss, and hopefully a self-perception change :-)
  • Rayman79
    Options
    I don't know if people are still watching, but I had to share my outrage with some people who would understand.

I caught a bit of the show the other night when they were locked in temptation, and they revealed that they were only allowed to eat between 1000 and 1200 cals per day!!!!

For people of their size, doing over 3-4 hrs of exercise every day - this is unbelievably irresponsible. I know the deprivation adds to the drama by making them more tired in challenges and generally more irritable, but come on, that is just damned cruel!

It's absolutely no wonder that most of these people baloon and put all the weight back on after they leave if that is what they think it takes tro maintain a 'healthy' lifestyle and weight. :grumble:

Grrrr. Just had to get that off my chest :indifferent:
  • StrawberrySt
    Options
    Makes me so angry too! And it leads other people to believe they can drop 10KG in one week by having a ridiculous and unsustainable diet and working out too much (I heard they do 6 hours of training per day!)

It's not sustanable in the real world and they are basically making these contestants adhere to diet and exercise that screams 'eating disorder'

It's irresponsible of the makers of the show and the trainers should know better!

End rant :smile:
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm watching it now and one of the eliminated girls says she eats between 1000 and 1200 cals per day......:noway:
  • JourneyToTheOldMe
    JourneyToTheOldMe Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use The Biggest Loser to guily myself lol I Have to stay on the exercise bike for the whole show :)

If they can do it, i can do it :)
  • Rayman79
    Options
    Not sure if this is because I'm a naturally bad human being, but a question for anyone who watched the show last night:

Am I the only one who wanted to jump through the TV and repeatedly punch Hamish in the face?!?!? What a whinging little pansy boy, just infuriated me. I'd have changed the channel if the remote wasn't glued to my wife :laugh:
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is because I'm a naturally bad human being, but a question for anyone who watched the show last night:

Am I the only one who wanted to jump through the TV and repeatedly punch Hamish in the face?!?!? What a whinging little pansy boy, just infuriated me. I'd have changed the channel if the remote wasn't glued to my wife :laugh:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

But then I feel bad for thinking that, because his dad is horrible to him and that might explain a lot. But yes.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Bugger! I missed it, what happened?

Oh, an on reality TV shows - nothing real about them. My friends were were on an Australian one about weddings and some of the things they have told me about what goes on behind the scenes was enlightening, sad and quite manipulative. They came last in their episode but I still rate their wedding as one of the all time best weddings I have ever been to.