Non-processed opt for mid-run snacks

Options
2»

Replies

• sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I made my own gel for my 7 mile run on Sunday. Chia seeds, agave, lemon and lime juices and water. Put it in s 3 ounce squirt bottle and it got me through my entire run brilliantly. Just picked up some brown rice syrup today to us instead of the agave for a better form of sugar.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Interesting idea! I would need to use maple syrup, as rice is out for me. But it could certainly be "made to order", and chia would be a popular gelling agent due to the popularity of "Born to Run".

I haven't any marathons, but I have been okay with homemade trail mix for up to 21 km. But I know others say no fibre, protein, or fat, which of course trail mix is full of.

Pam
    I made my own gel for my 7 mile run on Sunday. Chia seeds, agave, lemon and lime juices and water. Put it in s 3 ounce squirt bottle and it got me through my entire run brilliantly. Just picked up some brown rice syrup today to us instead of the agave for a better form of sugar.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I like this thread. I have gotten some great ideas. I didn't know that you should eat during your runs. On long run days I put orange juice in one of my water bottels. About a 1:3 ratio. 1 OJ to 3 Water. I usially carry 1 with the mix and 1 plain water. I switch back and forth between the two as needed on my run.
  • polar135
    polar135 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    another vote for you really don't NEED to eat anything during a hm or that length of training.

However if you would like to and want to focus on some real food here are some ideas

Salted potatoes
    Pretzels
    ginger snaps

I asked a nutritionist about dried fruit and was warned against them as they are concentrated sugar and can cause GI issues
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    another vote for you really don't NEED to eat anything during a hm or that length of training.

However if you would like to and want to focus on some real food here are some ideas

Salted potatoes
    Pretzels
    ginger snaps

I asked a nutritionist about dried fruit and was warned against them as they are concentrated sugar and can cause GI issues

Not every one does but a lot of people do. Personally, I've experienced a complete crash during a half because of improper nutrition. My blood sugar was so low after, I couldn't stand up without feeling sick.
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything during a half marathon, but during my last marathon I had half a banana at around mile 10 and another half around mile 20 and it worked well for me (they were giving them out at the race, I didn't carry them around). It's hard to eat much while you run, but personally I don't mind the gels. Gu Gel is my fave - the Tri Berry flavor is really good. I like the idea of making my own, that's a great suggestion!

Just do what works for you and whatever you do, don't wait until race day to find out what works. Experiment during your training. Personally nuts would dry out my mouth a bit but if it works for others, then go for it! Good luck!
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    For the record, I definitely overestimated my nutritional needs during my half. I only ate an applesauce packet and half a package of Stingers during the race. I didn't eat the other half of the package, didn't touch my potatoes or hard candy. I'll probably not take food on any run shorter than 9 miles now.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For non-processed stuff, the dried fruits are great. I would say nuts but they are a bit harder to take down as you're running. When you are dog tired and in the last part of your run, everything takes up energy, even moving your mouth to chomp on some nuts. At least dried fruit is easier to consume.

The honeystinger waffles are also a great option, but again, may be hard to consume.