bike setup for xterra tri

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
I'm starting to think about which bike I should use for my race this summer, and how I should set it up.

Anyone ever done an xterra before? What is the bike leg like? Are the trails groomed and fast, or are they rough and technical? Lots of ups and downs, or relatively flat?

I'm sure every course is different, but I've also got to think that Xterra tries to keep a certain "feel" for their races.

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet (one planned for Aug.) but I know the area where it's being held. It's somewhat hilly, some rough spots but generally not too bad, but the trail they use is not overly technical. I can see it varying quite a bit for venue to venue though.

As far as which bike to use, definitely mountain bike - hardtail or full suspension. I know the one I'm doing would be difficult with a cross bike.
  • cafeldmann
    cafeldmann Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our local Xterra race is definitely not groomed and fast. It's moderately hilly, but then most everything around here is moderately hilly! Not the most technical trail around, but it's what I would consider intermediate level singletrack. You would definitely want a mountain bike.

Is the race local to you? Maybe you can go onto a local mountain bike forum and find out more about the trail the race will be held on.

Also, unlike a road triathlon, it is a HUGE advantage to have pre-ridden the course before the race. Ideally, if the race is local, you would have ridden the trail often enough to be quite familiar with it. But any kind of pre-ride will help/.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely going with a mountain bike, that's a given. I've got a 6" trail bike and a steel single speed - both will work, but neither are exactly race bikes. I could put gears on the SS, but it would still be pretty heavy for a hardtail. I could stiffen up the suspension on my Yeti to make it pedal more efficiently, but again... not light/racy by any means.

I'm leaning towards the later as gears and suspension make it more flexible, especially if I'm unable to pre-ride the course. Which bike I end up riding most this spring may also play a role in the decision.

Course is about 3 hours from me.