Soup accompaniments

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi all

I'm starting to make soups for my lunch at work - but sometimes it's not enough on it's own. Any ideas of what to put with it which isn't too high in calories, or carbs?

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• Lettylj
    Lettylj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    handful of grilled onions and sprinkle of seeds (poppy linseed seasame sunflower whatever)
  • MrsOMG
    MrsOMG Posts: 84
    Options
    I like grating a bit of cheese or raw carrot on top or a dollop of creme fraiche/ sour cream stirred in. Ryvita or similar seeded crackers can be delicious. Soup can get a little dull, if you are making yourself you could try making lentil curries or mixed bean chillis to mix it up. Good luck with it!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Thanks both.

I do tend to make the soups with more substance in, I like lentils in soup, but not a fan of beans in general. I've only just started putting kidney beans in chilli!! Funny how your tastes are always changing.

Ryvita is a good call, I like the dark rye ones or the seeded ones :)
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    ScrewyChars-6276593
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    Pearl barley in soup is nice, makes it a little more filling :smile:
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Agree with the pearl barley. Try maybe butternut squash and red lentil soup. Low GI so will be really filling.

i have to make soup really bulky to fill me up. Or i end up eating lots of crusty bread with lashings of butter to accompany the soup !!
  • mbatey
    mbatey Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Croutons are nice and so long as tyou dont have too many there's not too many claories in them about 50-60 Kcals per 10..

Males a change from a crusty bap or slice of bread!
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Croutons is a great idea. I do make some soups with pearl barley, but not all of them. Next week's flavour will be brie & courgette as someone bought me some nice brie and I don't want to eat it all cos I am a real cheese monster - so can put it in a soup and make a little go further!

I have been having Tesco Light Choices Dutch Crispbakes with Philadelphia Extra Light on and they come in well under 100 cals to accompany the soup.

Thanks all for the suggestions :)
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy Melba toast with mine, asda do packs of ten slices which total about 100 cals, as there are ten slices they last me the entire soup and stop me from rushing it.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Melba toast was a suggestion I was going to make, as well as putting lentils and pearl barley in there. I'm all out of other ideas!

I do like my B/Nut squash soup though, nom nom nom! Until the time hubby decided that recipes are there to be 'amended' and started sticking cloves in the soup and ruined it :sad:
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy Melba toast with mine, asda do packs of ten slices which total about 100 cals, as there are ten slices they last me the entire soup and stop me from rushing it.

I have soup for lunch every single day and sometimes at night too, but my dinner soup is what I call a posh soup, a bit more fancy and filling, however lunch soups are generally veggie and low cal, I really like the sound of the Melba toast as 10 slices sounds a lot for only 100 cals, will defo try that, thank you xx
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You probably noticed from my diary but Jacobs Flatbreads

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267077511
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    You probably noticed from my diary but Jacobs Flatbreads

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=267077511

Mmmm I love them, but the salt and cracked black pepper ones (i can taste a bit of aniseed on the mixed seeds ones and I don't like aniseed) - but I find them very moreish so I have to be careful, but I buy them as a treat every now and again

I have started having Extra Light Philadelphia with either Dutch Crispbakes (they're yummy from Tesco) or Melba Toast or Ryvita Dark Rye - but you've made me want those flatbreads so I have just added them to my shopping list :)