Marathon training, cardio burn and calf injury

Options
I tore my calf about 1.5 weeks ago and was told no running for 6 weeks. I was beginning my training for 2 half marathons and a marathon later this year. I was burning alot of calories running and now I have been forced to get creative with my cross training so that I keep my cardio levels up. Does anyone have some suggestions on workouts, exercises, programs that burn high calories so that I keep my levels up for the next 4.5 weeks?

Replies

• caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm-- any other restrictions other than no running? Doing miles on the elliptical at a comparable heart rate could work. Cycling maybe as well?
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    swimming, aqua jog, be careful!
  • mmoreland123
    Options
    Hi I do a lot of running and train for marathons. I have also been in your shoes and had to change things up when injuries accured. I am just coming back from ankle surgery last year. I had to wait 6 to 8 weeks before I was able to run. Then once I was able to run it was a slow process to get back to where I once was, but happy to say I am. What I did was a lot of swimming laps, and biking. They are low impact and keep up your endurance. Once I was able to run without the pain the endurance was easy to get back because swimming and cycling kept me in good shape, and I love doing them. Good luck I know its hard but listen to your doctor and you will be back pounding the pavement in no time:)
  • Angelsfurby
    Options
    The doctor said that definitely no running and that I could some low-angle biking. I really want to get back to the elliptical and I have been rowing, swimming and doing some circuit training.