Do you work out in the morning or night?

Options
I work out at night but I work typical office hours and some days it's just really impossible for me to even think about going to a class or the gym because all I want to do is sit on the couch with a glass of wine and watch tv. When does everyone work out and if you do work out in the morning, how do you make yourself get up?? I would love the feeling of doing it in the morning and having that energy all day.

Replies

• mavsgurl30
    Options
    i love working out in the morning when i can..like on weekends. i find that if i get it out of the way during the day, i am less likely to miss a workout because some days i just get tired or lose my motivation as the day goes on. since i'm in grad school at the moment, my only choice is to work out after school, in the late afternoon. but i know how you feel! some days i just want to sit in front of the TV and veg out!
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I used to workout after work. I tended to find that I would find excuses to avoid my workouts. I made up my mind that I would workout in the mornings, and now I have been doing that for 3 years. I get up with the alarm, and then I take my dog for a walk. After that I get in a 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. of exercise. I think after your body gets used to getting up it becomes a habit. Some people put their alarm clock in a place that forces them to get up and turn it off. Lay out your workout gear the night before, that way you don't have to search. I don't eat before either, have found that really upsets my stomach. Have to say that I really love knowing that I'm done with my workouts for the day. :wink:
  • Sandeezee
    Sandeezee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have NEVER been able to work out in the morning! I don't know what's wrong with my body and why it doesn't like AM workouts. I feel drained the entire day if I exercise in the mornings : ) I work out in the evenings and sleep like a baby when I do : )
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm def one of those put-your-alarm-clock-on-the-other-side-of-the-room people. :tongue: I used to work during the day and I would exercise at night, but now I don't exercise at all. (Mostly because it's winter, and I like to exercise outside. If anyone else a "seasonal exerciser"? If it's not warm out, I don't want to.) Since I got a second shift job 4-11pm, I need to start working out in the morning. Any advice from those who can muscle through it those tough morning workouts?
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    night
  • nikkicormier82
    nikkicormier82 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Morning is great!! you get that burn in and then you get it out of the way for the day. But i do have a boxing class tonight, and i walk the dogs everyday as well.
  • michekeen
    Options
    I definitely have to work out in the morning or else I feel like a sack of potatoes the rest of the day. It was a fight at first, but once you get it going it runs itself.

My gym has an awesome morning crew. In the evenings it's packed and hard to get on a lot of the machines. But mornings have a really cool group of friends that encouraging to be around and with less people you have free range of all the weights. Great for supersets or intervals.

I'm thinking now about adding evening workouts to the mix, too. Weight training in the morning and aerobics (zumba or something) in the evenings.

Either way, meeting people and knowing how good your workout makes you feel all day definitely helps with the morning trips to the gym.
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Always in the morning. If I don't do it in the am , it doesn't get done!!
  • orionling
    orionling Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out first thing in the morning. My motivation starts to wane as the day goes on.
  • shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    Night for me too as am so not a morning person :P

But yeah I work typical office hours as well... and I know the reluctance to get down to the gym after. Most oftenly all I wanan do after work is have a nice dinner, sit in front of the PC and watch some anime instead :(
  • babyburr
    Options
    Working out in the morning is great, but it is really the ability to be able to get up and exercise. Everyone has a different body that works well for them when working out in the morning or night time. It is all just preferable. However, studies do show that working out in the morning is best because the body will continue to burn calories throughout the day.

Great question!! Keep up the good work everyone! =)
  • juliexiuu
    juliexiuu Posts: 118
    Options
    Afternoon :o
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    Both, but mainly in the mornings 6 days per week; yoga and gym some evenings (4 days (alternating) per week).
  • ennovi_r
    ennovi_r Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Night. I am a night owl so I tend to do everything late at night.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Afternoon and evening here. Although, sometimes night ie 11pm.

Handy having equipment at home. Just about to crank out my final set of pull ups then I hit the kitchen.
  • andrearae00
    Options
    Mornings! I tried at night but I just can't get motivated to and I also workout at home so with the hubby and kids home for the night it's just to hard. Mornings are much easier either before I get the kids to school or after dropping them off. It gets my blood flowing for the day.
  • MariaAlbina
    MariaAlbina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I tried to do the morning but I ended up feeling really sick afterward so midafternoons it is! haha
  • jamface11
    jamface11 Posts: 87
    Options
    After uni or night time. I find it hard enough to get up in the morning :P And normally if I don't have enough food in my belly I get really light headed, so generally has to be after lunch.
  • Kasm296
    Kasm296 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work out in the evenings 6 days a week and then 3 days a week I do an am workout as well. I prefer mornings but it is hard to get enough time without having to get up at 4 am....
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work out directly after work. I'm so not a morning person, so getting up earlier is out of the question for me. I get home around 6, change immediately and get going on my treadmill while I watch something on TV, usually Hoarders cause for some reason I find that show motivational. Then when I'm done a shower, and THEN I allow myself my glass of wine and my time to relax.

If it's a night that I have class I usually don't work out, but that's never more than 2 nights a week in my case, and I'm okay with two off days in my schedule.

As for weekends, I've been trying to stick to just after I wake up since other things to do usually come up through the day/night.