New Here

Options
Hi All! I'm new here. I joined MFP at the suggestion of my nutritionist as a way to hold myself accountable as I prepare for surgery this spring. I am very nervous because I worry that I am choosing the wrong type of surgery. I am planning on the lap-band but one of my primary docs was kind of pushing me to choose a RNY or gastric sleeve. My bariatrics team feels that the lap-band is a good choice for me and that I will be successful. I am 27 and just didn't feel comfortable committing to a more complicated procedure when there is no way to know how it will affect me when I am 40, 50, 60.

How have you guys done with your surgeries? Did you feel that you made the right choice?

Replies

• mamaholt80
    Options
    I think the choice is up to you,I don't like doctors that try to push things.
    After reading all about the great WLS,I've decided to do the Lap Band.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    The choice has got to be yours- listen to advice, but you have to do all the research on the before/during/after surgical protocol. I am 8 days out of my RNY surgery. Before I began this journey, I went to many of the support group meetings that the barriatric team offered. I asked questions and listened to the many opinions of those who went through the surgeries. I had many questions for the nursing staff and the nutritionist. I even launched this MFP online support group for the purpose of getting info/opinions out there. Finally when my surgeon asked me what operation I wanted, I confidently answered RNY.
    Do the leg work and make sure the decision is completely yours.
    Christine :flowerforyou:
  • loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with Christine. Do the research. I had lap band after I did the research. Every one is different and chooses for different reasons. Choose because of what you researched and not what others want you to have. Did your doctor give you a reason on why he/she felt you should have one over the other? I am sure you will make the right choice for yourself.
  • thagberg2011
    thagberg2011 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Again the choice is yours. I had the Band a little over a year ago and can't say that I have had any complications. You are going to lose the weight slower, so dont think that it is just going to fall off without any work from you. The best example to help me train my eating was to think of you stomach as a hour glass. Eat slow so that nothing gets stuck and that when you feel full stop. Feel free to add me. Good luck with you upcoming surgery