Two steps forward, one step back

Options
Two steps forward, one step back. That's how I feel this morning.

After exercising everyday last week, drinking 8 glasses of water and eating healthy I gained a pound. My calorie target was 1400 calories and I did exceed it a couple of days but I ramped up the exercise the next day to compensate.

If anything, I would have expected to stay the same. I know that the scale should not be the only measure of success but for right now truth is I am obsessed with it.

I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical this morning and will take the dog for a walk and continue to drink water and eat healthy and pray that next week things look brighter.

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Don't lose hope! Exercise is probably the #1 thing you can do to keep your body tuned up while you seek the right diet, supplements, etc. that will deal with your thyroid. And 1 pound could just be water . When I first start to exercise, I think I hold some water in my muscles and joints and always have a slight weight gain which makes me crazy. But it does level out after a while. Also, some types of carbs cause you to hold more water -- you might not have swelling, but that doesn't mean you aren't holding on to fluid.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Thanks for the kinds words of support tecallahan :)

Maybe it is water retention from the exercise. I did get your request for a look at my food diary. I am good at filling it out for breakfast. lunch and snacks so I know where I am before dinner to make sure I have budgeted enough calories. But I did not add dinners for many days so it's incomplete. I will take better care to fill it in this week and then if I am still at an impasse if you don't mind I would appreciate if you could take a look - thanks!

Donna
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    2 things. First and foremost, take your measurements! Muscle is denser than fat, which means a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, It could be that fat has converted to muscle and you're actually smaller even though you weigh the same.

Second, I make it a rule that I don't log a weight loss until I see it 3 days in a row (I do weigh daily). Our bodies can go up and down due to lots of things like water retention, if we need to use the bathroom, etc...

Bottom line, don't be discouraged! Remember this is about becoming the healthiest you can be, and weight loss is just one component of that.
  • aprildiamond42
    aprildiamond42 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work! I have been struggling to lose weight and have only lost one pound in 6 months! This is with tracking my food, making sure I don't go over, exercising 5 days a week. Just this week I decided to add at least 20 minutes of exercise every day, and cut out all white sugar, bread, potatoes and corn (all starches) - plus avoid all foods with soy (since I read it can interfere with your thyroid medicine.) I really feel good, like maybe I can start losing!

Yes, take your measurements!
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    weigh in this morning 189lb.
    yesterday it was 186.2 and i was hoping that i would be back to 186lb today.

I achieved last weeks goals, just did not log the strolls as they were very gentle,

so this week get back to 12 glasses of water per day.
    get the walking up to 15 minutes for 5 days.

I am not despondent about my weight, i know that with the correct treatment (for hypothyroidism) things will start shifting in the right direction again. I am going to commence self medication in the near future, I just have to repair the damage that adrenal fatigue has caused to my body.
    The NHS in England have been running an open forum http://talkhealthpartnership.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=185 for people with Thyroid issues, there have been some very angry patients who feel let down by the health service.
    Things are no better here in Ireland,

well that's all folks ( I love bugs bunny)
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    2 things. First and foremost, take your measurements! Muscle is denser than fat, which means a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, It could be that fat has converted to muscle and you're actually smaller even though you weigh the same.

Second, I make it a rule that I don't log a weight loss until I see it 3 days in a row (I do weigh daily). Our bodies can go up and down due to lots of things like water retention, if we need to use the bathroom, etc...

Bottom line, don't be discouraged! Remember this is about becoming the healthiest you can be, and weight loss is just one component of that.

What a good idea the rule of not logging weight loss/gain unless 3 days. I gain weight and then beat myself up for it and refuse to step on the scales for at least a week sometimes longer all the time feeling down about the gain, Plus your so right about the weight being just one component! Note to self - Throw away the negativity and be positive!!
  • Farfelue
    Options
    "Don't log a weight loss until I see it 3 days in a row"

What a totally brilliant idea!!!! I feel a cretin for not having done it so far!!
    I keep yo-yoing (I weight every day too, daft I know but can't help it) because of course my week's loss is interfered by my weekend's "treat" so I go down, then back up a bit, then back down again... Not at target yet but not far off.

Brilliant! Tx!
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I only log once a week -- I'm lucky if I lose .2 lbs!! Actually, I take that back, I'm lucky if I don't gain!
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    I didn't mean log on mfp I meant accepting (logging in my mind) that I had lost that weight. I was over the moon last week having lost 6 pound (I hadn't weighed myself since the New Year) from my last weigh in and felt super committed and determined to achieve my goal this year. Followed a very good diet and did more exercise than ever over the week and woo hoo... Stood on the scales all excited and... I gained 2 pound :(
    No idea why or what I did wrong except I did have alcohol on Saturday night and I know that always effects my weight, but sometimes you just have to let your hair down and I did extra exercise to compensate.
    I went through a couple of days of thinking what's the point but I stayed healthy eating and have got my focus back. If I don't try I certainly wont succeed, keep going everyone! x