Advice for a child in a rush

Options
doriekaye
doriekaye Posts: 55 Member
My 6th grade daughter has been rushing through her work to the point that her work is suffering. She's gone from an above average student to failing her last math and spelling tests. I'm at a loss! I've tried talking to her about it, but it doesn't seem to get through to her. I know she knows how to do the math problems, but she doesn't take the time to read them, so she ends up doing the wrong thing. Spelling, she just isn't paying attention to what she's doing. Any veteran HS advice??

Replies

• sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue with my 5th grader as far as rushing through. I have started letting him take 10-15 minute breaks between each subject to go run and get some energy out. I don't know how much help this is but, it's the best i can do for now. I pray it gets better for you :(
  • MrsJones98
    Options
    I don't have anything tried and true here, but can brainstorm a bit :)

If she's rushing through to get some reward (ie, free time, read a book, play a game - whatever) maybe you could tie the reward to percentage correct rather than just completion? I know in the past when we've done a little of this rushing to "just get it done" we quickly had to move to "you must get 90% because I know you are capable of this" or else they ended up taking time in the afternoon to do "homework" - basically redoing the work they got wrong.

My other thought is that maybe she's bored? It's too easy? So maybe skip ahead or change the depth of what she's studying. Maybe do fewer math problems, or make sure some of her problems are more challenging or use the skill in a different way. For spelling, maybe you could have her write a story with her words instead of just writing them in a list or on a test.

Last thought is to ask her for her input. Would she like to change the order of her assignments? Or the time that she does them? You could tie in here with something like "if you are more accurate in your work for the next 3 days, I will give you more freedom in choosing the order or timing of your work".

Regardless, I hope it gets worked through soon! ((hugs))

-Heather
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My mantra with my "rusher" was: If it isn't done neatly and correctly, it isn't done. As soon as she was done with her work, I checked it, marked what was wrong, and gave it back to be redone. I repeated the procedure until everything was correct - and neat (to her ability of neat, not perfection). I also timed her work from the time she started until it was done neatly and correctly, and showed her how much LONGER it takes to rush and redo than it would take to just settle down and do it right the first time.

Eventually she got it and was more careful. I also did have her get up and do something active between lessons - a bit of exercise or a quick bit of housework. She enjoyed that and was able to focus better if she could move around between subjects.