Any foods that surprised you?

Options
The other night, I wanted a snack, got up, ate a couple vlasic kosher dill pickles. went and logged them at the computer, and it came back "2 pickles - 0 calories"

I went "WTF? someone entered the wrong value again?" and got up, went to the fridge, got out the jar, and read the label so I could enter the calories correctly... and there on the label, it said: "Serving size: 1 Pickle, Calories: 0"

I mean... cucumbers have calories... how can a pickle NOT have calories? A stick of sugar-free gum has 5 calories.fer chrissake. In any case, I have a new diet snack food... I mean 0 calories? add that to any meal (that pickles even vaguely go with, anyway) plus extra snacks without any extra calories.

Anyone else run across something that had way fewer calories than you thought it should? If so, please share!

Replies

• fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Pop Secret Kettle Corn popcorn. 20 calories for one bag. I was trying to find a sweet snack the other night and just out of curiosity looked at the popcorn that's been sitting around for a while. The back of the box said 20 calories and I figured they meant for a serving size of a handful of popped corn. Nope, 1 bag was the serving size. 1 full size bag of popcorn was 20 calories.

Guess what my favorite "I need something sweet but only have a few calories to spend" snack is? Yum!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

I mean... cucumbers have calories... how can a pickle NOT have calories? A stick of sugar-free gum has 5 calories.fer chrissake. In any case, I have a new diet snack food... I mean 0 calories? add that to any meal (that pickles even vaguely go with, anyway) plus extra snacks without any extra calories.

That's because based on the serving size, they could get away with putting down 0 calories - it just wasnt enough per USDA/FDA guidelines... having one serving is fine not to record anything... but when you sit back and chug a jar of pickle-heaven, yeah... there are definitely calories..
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Avocado surprised me. (cause it has so MANY calories...)
  • Gribbish
    Options
    Yeah, I've been surprised by the TONS of calories are in some healthy foods. (various nuts, especially.) Avocados are pretty much nature's candy bar :P

I'm mainly looking for things that are lower in cals than they look/taste like they should be... the other way around would come up with a list longer than I am tall. I want more stuff to try, like the above-mentioned popcorn. :)
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm always surprise how many calories drinks have - more specifically, orange juice.

Also, toast, one slice has a ridiculous amount of calories in it.