Half marathon training

nyy03
nyy03 Posts: 635 Member
OK, so I have a half marathon in May and I have 2 training schedules, one for a 2hr -2:15 finish and the other is for a1:45-2 hr finish. Question is which one should I use. My last half time was just over 2:00. I haven't really ran consistantly since Xmas. Right now just running on the treadmill when I can sneak in a run. My schedule starts next week. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Do you have a link to the plans? How different are they from one another?

Most plans I see are scaleable to any pace/goal.
  • nyy03
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    I have a question along these lines. I plan to do a half (my first) in June and then a full (also my first) at the end of September. Is it okay to use the full marathon training schedule to train for my half?
  • nyy03
    Not sure. Will this be the only schedule you'll be using? If so I would be sure that the mileage is 13 miles for when you do the half. Does that make sense? Basically you want to be running the distance of the race before the race. Hope that made sense. Also, you could probably get a training schedule for both since you have enough time in between. There are some good 12 week training plans out there. Good luck.
  • Here is the schedule I am following:

12-Week Training Schedule

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Week 1 off 3 miles 3 miles 3 miles off 3 miles 4 miles

Week 2 off 3 miles 4 miles 3 miles off 3 miles 4 miles

Week 3 off 3 miles 4 miles 3 miles off 3 miles 5 miles

Week 4 off 3 miles 5 miles 3 miles off 4 miles 6 miles

Week 5 off 4 miles 5 miles 4 miles off 3 miles 7 miles

Week 6 off 4 miles 4 miles 4 miles off 4 miles 8 miles

Week 7 off 4 miles 6 miles 4 miles off 4 miles 9 miles

Week 8 off 4 miles 6 miles 4 miles off 4 miles 10 miles

Week 9 off 4 miles 6 miles 4 miles off 3 miles 11 miles

Week 10 off 4 miles 5 miles 4 miles off 4 miles 12 miles

Week 11 off 4 miles 5 miles 4 miles off 3 miles 6 miles

Week 12 off 3 miles 5 miles 3 miles off 2 miles 13.1 miles!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    I need a lot more info to answer this. What's your weekly milage like now? I only peaked at the 1:45 plan and there's a decent amount of milage on it. Are you prepared/willing to do that kind of milage? If so, I'd totally go with the 1:45 plan, you already ran a 2:00 :)