Elliptical Users Welcome!

Options

Replies

• sdguy2002
    sdguy2002 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Calories burned on eliptical...is it accurate? if not some are any? how do you gauge?
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I have a question. Calories burned on eliptical...is it accurate? if not some are any? how do you gauge?

The elliptical at my gym is pretty accurate. I also use my HRM and they match, maybe 5-10 cal difference.
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I *try* to do 40 min a day while watching my tv shows on Netflix. But my motivation is lacking lately!
  • mairzyl
    Options
    I use mine around 5-6 times a week for 40-50 minutes a day, when i first started using it i listened to music but felt that was too boring and the time went too slow as the songs are only a few mintues each, i now watch my favourtie tv show Charmed which is 40-50 mins long per episode i put on the timer on the dvd player and know once the ep is done i can stop and i enjoy it more.
  • ILoveFroggies
    ILoveFroggies Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    All of you diligent people hopping on the elliptical at 4.30am or some other such ungodly hour are making me feel inspired! Hehe.

Going to try to be more of a morning person myself, haha, 5 or 6 is probably the earliest I can manage though. ^.^

Ooh, and to answer the question: I ~try~ to fit in a work out 3 times a week for 30 minutes per sesh.
  • SyxSixSyx
    Options
    I am new to MFP! I have an elliptical in my garage in front of a tv so I can watch HGTV while on it! Please fell free to friend me!
  • Mompanda4
    Mompanda4 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have been using the elliptical at my gym 5-6 times a week for 65 - 100 min. since Octobr 2011. I set it at interval, with cross ramp at 6 and 10, and resistance at 6 and 10. Is this ok? I am new at this and really don't know what I am doing. My goal is to burn as much fat as possible. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

I have problems with my ankles so using the elliptical for low impact cardio has been perfect for me. I also use the stair master for 30 min between work rate of 60 steps per min and 50 steps per min for rest rate before using the elliptical.

I increased the resistance for both the stair master and elliptical cuz I have not lost any more weight for the past week.

Thanks in advance.
  • saraja1
    Options
    I just got my elliptical (Christmas gift) and I am SO excited to lose these extra pounds that I have put on. Any tips on how to stay motivated??
  • Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Put it in front of TV. Make sure you have cable with no commercials and/or Netflix. This has helped me overcome the monotony.
  • passionatemom
    passionatemom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use mine at the gym.. To keep my mind off the exercise I watch whatever program I can find. I'm on level 2 for about 1-15 minutes. I just started a couple weeks ago and do other workouts as well
  • oknox05
    Options
    I like to listen to Old School Rap and Pit Bull Radio ( Pandora) while I work out on my eliptical at least 5 times a week for 20 - 30 minutes (beginner). Every once in a while I like to speed walk or jog to break the monotony.
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I spoiled myself this year. I need a low impact cardio activity at home since getting to the gym takes so much more time. I ordered an Octane 47ci -- to me the Cadillac of Ellipticals. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Jan 17th for it to be delivered.

I am trying to decide whether it should go in my bedroom or my dining room. Either place fits and both have a nice flatscreen to watch. I like tripping on it in the morning when I wake up but I like seeing it in my face all day while at home in the dining room. The down side with the dining room is that it is an eyesore if I have company or a party. Unfortunately, not as many people visit my bedroom! LOL! :) Any recommendations?

7308705ada1db92d0d0d0b6a383b6135.jpg
  • kessalove
    kessalove Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I use the ones at the gym and listen to music on my phone and watch the captioned TV if there's something interesting on that particular one. I'm trying to make it a goal again to be there 6 days a week after work for 4 of them and 2 on my days off...but I haven't succeeded yet this year....but I'm trying this week....I didn't go yesterday due to the sleet here in NH...I had fun slipping and sliding on the way home from MA! I would love to get one for my room but my room is too small and there isn't any room in the rest of the house with my roommates...it's a tiny 3 bedroom cottage!
  • joey72talk
    joey72talk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hi everyone :)

ive had my elliptical trainer about 9yrs! i love it! ive used it at the peak of my fitness for cardio training and ive recently started reusing it for low impact training...

ive been diagnosed with fibromyalgia for almost 6yrs and exercise is difficult for me.... to kick start me back into training im currently using my machine every day for 15-30mins on the lowest setting (just to get me moving). my plan is to up the intensity at 2wk intervals, then start to increase my usage time, possibly over 2 sessions.... ie 20mins AM & PM.
    i agree with most of you, watching tv distracts from exercising and helps the time to pass quickly.. RESULT!

best of luck with yr goals everyone :happy:
  • PuffinPie
    Options
    I was just given one of these machines and I have to admit to liking an exercise bike better but i'm prepared to give it a go for the sake of my butt lol
    Can anyone give me any advise on the best way to get into a routine with it?
    I have been doing yoga and going for long walks up until now but I need to tone up.
    Lost 29 lbs so far but I want to be more toned and firm it all up.
    Any ideas would be gratefully recieved.:heart:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I spoiled myself this year. I need a low impact cardio activity at home since getting to the gym takes so much more time. I ordered an Octane 47ci -- to me the Cadillac of Ellipticals. Unfortunately, I have to wait until Jan 17th for it to be delivered.

I am trying to decide whether it should go in my bedroom or my dining room. Either place fits and both have a nice flatscreen to watch. I like tripping on it in the morning when I wake up but I like seeing it in my face all day while at home in the dining room. The down side with the dining room is that it is an eyesore if I have company or a party. Unfortunately, not as many people visit my bedroom! LOL! :) Any recommendations?

I'm new to the group, but wanted an update on your purchase. How is it?

Also, does anyone else name theirs? I work out in a lot of different gyms (I travel a lot), and I name each of them. I set up a date, we spend an hour or three together on a regular basis.
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    @amisnercpa
    My Octane 47ci is incredible. I really enjoy the feel and it is a nice looking machine. I ended up putting it in my bedroom, and surprisingly it matches well since it is decorated in grey and silver! :)

PROS
    + Cardio Chest Monitor - I like the cardio chest monitor and works very well. There is a program that maintains your heart rate no matter your speed. If it is too low, it increases the power, if you go too fast then it decreases the power.
    + Programs - Lots of other programs and options for different modes
    + Solid - The most solid of all machines. I am a bigger guy and didn't want something flimsy, creeking, and swaying. This thing is a rock . My house will move before it does!
    + Great natural feel - Out of all I tried... and I tried all of them, this one has the most natural feel that felt less mechanical.
    + Lowest height - The "Steps" are very close to ground level so you don't need 12 ft ceilings with this thing. It can go anywhere even if you have less than 8ft ceilings in a basement, etc.
    + Auto programs you can set to your favor settings
    + Fan - the built in fan is very effective and not annoying. Keeps me from being a slobbering mess.

CONS
    - Interface - The number of buttons and modes are a bit intimatading and setting it up isn't the most intuitive. I can see what they tried to do but sometimes the most obvious things aren't clear. There are special up/down buttons for ALMOST everything but not everything. But a little patience and it will be nice.
    - Heavy - Kind of a required trade off for being so solid. But for example, I wanted to move it about 4 inches to the left and about 6 inches forward by myself -- it took almost everything I had to do it. Felt like I could skip my workout after moving it! :) So make sure you pick a good place for it and don't plan on moving it around.
    - Status indicators - Things like heart rate, calories, distance, etc. share LED screens and automatically change which can be nice, but sometimes when you want to check the heart rat or calories burned, you need to wait like 35 seconds and there seem to be no provisions to get there fast. There is a large display area that is completely underutilized and there isn't enough info displayed or option to display ONLY what you want to watch. This model is suppose to have the fancy interface and I am underwhelmed fro a machine with an MSRP around $5,0000. As an engineer, I appreciate that they are trying to utilize low power and robust display technology but the interface looks like a Life Fitness bike machine from the 80's -- for a new product line, they need to update.
    - Cup holder - Nice cup holder but a tight fit between the inner handles. I had to buy a special water bottler that was narrow and tall and now all is better.
    - Hand Grip Monitor - Hasn't worked yet for me. I can live that but the bad part is if you are using the chest monitor and you touch the hand grip area too long, you get error messages saying it can't see your heart rate anymore. So you loose a grip position if you want your heart rate monitored even with the chest monitor. Kind of annoying since it is probably my favorite position/

OTHER COMMENTS -
    o Cross Circuit - It has an available cross circuit kit with power bands etc. and can be incorporated into the programs. I haven't really given this much of a chance yet, so I can't comment. I am not completely sold on the idea yet as I have done a lot of weight training in the past and don't like the feel of these type of bands. But in the absence of other options and compact, it could be effective at toning.

CONCLUSION -
    I would highly recommend this machine or is little brothers. It by far has the best feel, is relatively compact, the most solid, and attractive. The user interface could use some improvements and modernization considering the price point but they don't take away from the experience or flexibility of the machine.
  • neon8919
    Options
    I am boring in comparison to everyone else. I do an hour a day every day, and I try to get at least 5 miles done, (it's hard on the days I am feeling really lazy) but on a good day I'm at 5.5+ I try to get a better distance for the 60mins and/or better time for the 5 mile mark everyday.

For now the cardio is great but I am working towards some weight training. does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer excercises that don't require equipment (I am a college student, and the weight room is no place for girls during wrestling season)
  • sirpilsofd
    sirpilsofd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I try to get on mine at least 5 times a week and if I'm feeling really good 6 times a week. I get up around 5 am stretch a bit and do 30 min. My elliptical has a weight loss setting which I love using for the automatic resistance changing and I increase the resistance by 1 level every day so that I'm always pushing myself.

I have to keep thing pretty quiet since my wife and daughter are still asleep so I listen to music or audio books with my headphones.

I just wish I found this site when I started my weight loss, my stats would be better!:laugh: But I'm loving all the tools and support groups.

I'm really looking forward to making a positive life style change.
  • tamaracat
    tamaracat Posts: 32
    Options
    I use the elliptical in the gym in my building. I used to like the treadmill but after a skiing accident my PT said the arc trainer was best, elliptical second best, because they have less knee impact. I don't particularly like it... I usually prefer "non gym" activities like swimming, biking, yoga, long walks on the beach, but I have to admit the elliptical is convenient and the calorie burn is great. My goal is to go once a week for at least 30 minutes, which I find very difficult because I find it so boring. Also, the TV's in our gym are shot so there's not much else to keep me entertained. Ah well.. yay elliptical!