Toning and Shedding Pounds

Options
Any ideas on a good program to incorporate cardio and some toning? I am not a fan of toning but I am realizing I won't make real progress with just cardio (i love running). Thinking about doing some cardio everyday and strength training (toning) every other day. Any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've found Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to be incredible... I've barely lost any weight on it (and I'm almost done, on day 25) but the difference in my appearance is huge!
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Forest,
    I'm right there with you. I love running, but I need more now. I'm going to try toning 2-3 days a week. I've also heard great things about the Shred.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think you might just want to do a 3 day per week strength training and run on the off days. There is a popular/basic plan called 5x5, it's like this:
    The Routine:-

Workout A

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    3x5 Deadlift / Power Clean 5x3, alternate every workout ''A''

Workout B

3x5 Squat
    3x5 Incline Bench Press / Military Press, alternate every workout “B”
    3x5 Chin-ups / Lat Pull Downs, alternate every workout “B”
    3x8 Weighted Hyperextensions / Good Mornings

Week 1
    M – Workout A
    W – Workout B
    F – Workout A
    Week 2
    M – Workout B
    W – Workout A
    F – Workout B

3x5 means 3 sets of 5 reps, if that isn't clear.
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Just saw this, the routines look great amy! thanks :)
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I've found Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred to be incredible... I've barely lost any weight on it (and I'm almost done, on day 25) but the difference in my appearance is huge!

I second this! Inch loss and thnigs definitely feel firmer, this dvd is good for toning as is no more trouble zones...for it you dont want to lift weights and havent got weight to lose why not try yoga? heard it's great for toning
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm back to say, I'm half way through my first round with the Shred, and I'm seeing awesome results. Not really a lot of lbs lost, but I see a difference in my stomach and how my clothes are fitting.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    That is a "good news" report, angie! Good for you!
  • bones24
    bones24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same battle. I started out running, added the 30 day shred, and the results have been amazing for me. I didn't do the shred like she suggests, but only about 3 times a week. Moved to the next level when I got bored with that level. I'm trying to continue running and get going on ripped in 30 right now. I'm struggling though, because her workouts initially make you very sore, and it is interfering with my running, but it does get better over time! Best to you, I know the toning can be a bummer when you just would rather run!
  • indiesongstress
    indiesongstress Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know that I have a hard time varying my workouts, too. I have an Xbox with Kinect (it tracks your body) and the Biggest Loser game has been really fun for toning. I've been doing the pilates and kickboxing routines a lot, and notice it the next day. I'm just getting back into pilates again, but when I used to do them a few times a week, I really noticed a difference in my core and legs!

They're great for relieving stress, too :)
  • mariellefrench
    Options
    i have 30 day shred which i havent tried yet, but i have done a few circuits that i think are from there.
    i also have bannish fat boost metabolism which i LOVE. i haven't done it in a while but i loved it when i did it. i burned alot from it.

my mom got this jillian michaels pilates kit and i wanna use it but i have no idea how. will it really help with toning?
    i dont really like doing machines at the gym cause i dont really know what each thing is for/if im doing it right.

i've been running on the treadmill for 20 minutes and doing the elliptical for 20 minutes. is that enough cardio each day?