Fast food

Options
What are your thoughts on fast food? Today I had 3 McDoubles plain, without the bun of course, and it was all within the normal limits of a Keto diet, but places like McD's have been known to put in so many other things in their food that's not listed on the nutritional info.

Also, what are your favorite things at fast food restaurants?

Replies

• Drethis
    Options
    I tend to avoid them like the plague, but that's just personal preference.

I've seen Fat Head and believe that it is entirely possible to live off fast foods (short term, of course), and still lose weight. You're severely limited to what you can eat though.

Regarding ingredients, I'm sure there are many reports/studies regarding what actually goes into McDonald's products. They won't be shown on the Nutritional Value list because it would probably make the list too long.

What I loved the most about fast food was... it was fast. You don't have to spend 30-60 minutes cooking stuff. It's just in and out.
  • misscelestia
    Options
    I am bad as far as dining out goes, but the closest I come to "fast food" is Chipotle (steak soft tacos, ditch the tortillas). However, I have a gluten allergy too, and most fast food places are sketchy about that kind of thing anyway. All in all, it keeps temptation away for me.
  • lookfierce
    Options
    For UK keto'rs Nandos is awesome, they have full nutritional data online.
    Their Whole chicken is a HUGE meal and only 6grams of carbs and tastes so good.

http://nandos.co.uk/themenu
  • Surye
    Surye Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In-N-Out Double Double Animal-style Protein-Style, I love it, 7g net carbs.
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The fries are too tempting and the meat is suspect so I stay away.
  • marycgifford
    marycgifford Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with Ebony, although I can't always practice what I preach. Arby's side salad is an excellent choice instead of the fries and other fatty side items. Also Wendy's has some amazing salads. They are quite filling and they offer both a half or a full order. You can find a happy medium if you have self control.
  • fraserwag
    fraserwag Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We have a Chik-fil-a nearby, and I get their chargrilled chicken salad. Instead of dressing, I use a couple packets of their buffalo sauce, which is low carb . Delicious. They keeps this stuff behind the counter.

If I think I can swing the calories, it's hard to beat the 6 Dollar Low Carb Burger at Car's Jr, though. ommnommnommm!
  • insanire
    Options
    If i'm in a hurry and hungry I'll grab a mcdouble with no bun, slivered onions, and light mayo(normal is too damn much). If you get a ncie piece of lettuce under you can fold it up and it's pretty easy to eat.
  • TheCenci
    Options
    I do burrito bol's at Chipotle every now and then if I'm in a hurry. Also the UnWich at Jimmy John's is great for Keto.
  • plannetofmars
    Options
    I tried a Carl's Jr. "Six Dollar Low Carb Burger" for the first time yesterday (either 6g or 8g net carbs, website lists both), but minus the tomatoes and mayo (don't care for it).

Wasn't too bad, not sure if it was worth $6. I wish we had In-N-Out up here in WA because I would be all over protein-style hamburgers/cheeseburgers.

When I do get fast food, I generally get two bunless/ketchup-less McDoubles with a side salad.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Jimmy John's Unwiches, and a ton of Hooters or Buffalo Wild Wings. I work full time and go to school full time on top of being a single parent to a kid who's very active in sports, so sometimes fast food or take out is unavoidable.
  • galededras
    galededras Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I absolutely cannot stomach eating lettuce that is the least bit wilted. I pick up a $1 side salad from Burger King or McDonalds and add my protein, cheese, salad dressing for my lunches at work.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    (late reply, i know, but i'm bored.)

I like having 2x double stackers or a triple stacker from Burger King, no sauce no bun. It's $1 per stacker, so that's fairly cheap. They come with cheese and bacon and are pretty fantastic. If I'm near a Jack In The Box, I'll tend to go with an Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger (no bun, no ketchup) but that is kind of expensive. I do enjoy their grilled chicken club salad, too. And they have the best breakfast: Extreme Sausage Sandwich, no bun, extra egg. :) Add some taco sauce, and you're good to go!

Chipotle is the most expensive thing around here, but a bowl of their barbacoa on a bed of shredded lettuce, with sour cream, cheese and guacamole? YUM! Worth the $10 every couple of weeks as a treat. I had the Carl's Jr $6 low-carb burger last October on a road trip, and I agree, it was pretty amazing.
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In-N-Out Double Double Animal-style Protein-Style, I love it, 7g net carbs.

Surye, this is OUTSTANDING!!! The best info I got so far put that at 11g of carbs!

Off to In-n-Out with me!
  • sublxed
    sublxed Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i get the carls junior protein style at least once a week

i hear though that it is the processed cheese you have to be careful of not the beef patty

the cheese tends to have 2g of carbs per slice

if you get the in n out with mustard only its virtually no carbs
  • saintsfanatik
    saintsfanatik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation...including moderation, I say. If it's working for you, keep doing it.

My only concern is I'd get bored very easily, and the constant viewing of those delicious shakes and fries laced with crack cocaine would eventually get to me. Besides, freshly prepared food, made with what ingredients you want, in the amount you want, when you want them (within reason), all without some griddle jockey to "screw you at the drive-through" is a nice change of pace, no?
  • Vhnguyen5
    Vhnguyen5 Posts: 6
    Options
    What are your thoughts on fast food? Today I had 3 McDoubles plain, without the bun of course, and it was all within the normal limits of a Keto diet, but places like McD's have been known to put in so many other things in their food that's not listed on the nutritional info.

Also, what are your favorite things at fast food restaurants?

I used to eat the double stackers at wendy's sans the buns every other day. It worked wonders for me :D
  • wboarder
    wboarder Posts: 2
    Options
    Chipotle is the BOMB for Keto. I get the salad with any of the meats (they're all good), sour cream, cheese, and guac + I add some Tobasco for some heat. Only around 8 net carbs and fills me up for at least 5 hours.
  • bhayes82
    bhayes82 Posts: 37
    Options
    I've cut back on the fast food, but I don't feel terribly guilty about grabbing a Quarter Pounder with Cheese or an Egg McMuffin (both sans bread) once in a while — especially when I'm in need of a protein fix.

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, Chipotle is my go-to for quick meals when eating out. Fajita bowl with chicken, salsa, cheese, guacamole, and lettuce. A small serving of brown rice if it's a day I need some carbs.
  • sunshinedazed
    Options
    I do Chipotle once a week.. it's my "treat" because I don't have to cook, and when you work 12 hour days and have a 4 year old, as a single parent sometimes it's nice not to cook :P

I will say, though, I love keto a little more for getting me out of the bag and back into the kitchen. The only time I've gone through the drive-thru since starting was when I had a super early morning meeting and no time to get breakfast, grabbed a sausage mcmuffin with double eggs, used those as bread and ditched the muffin. :D