TOTD - 01.27.12

Options
twinsanity
twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
ISSUES FACING THE YOUTH IN THE LGBT+ COMMUNITY

I swear, if I hear of one more child committing suicide because s/he was bullied due to sexual/gender orientation, I'm going to scream. I simply cannot imagine the torment a child must go through to make him contemplate, let alone follow through with, suicide. What a horrible place that has to be to live in, mentally.

I am bi-sexual, and everyone in my life knows and has never batted an eye at it. It was as if I just given them the weather forecast, it was never a big deal. However, I realize that me being bi, when having this discussion, doesn't hold a candle to what others often face when coming out, especially when done so as a teen or pre-teen. And I also realize that not everyone's experience with coming out is like spouting out the weather forecast for the next week, either. For me, it was mostly just the area and family and I grew up in. I was raised in a home, and a community for the most part, where people were just people. Sure we saw that some people had darker skin, or were a little more flambouyant than others, but it was never something that crossed your mind when interacting with others. I had to travel to learn what racism and homophobia were all about. It just wasn't something I was raised around. Because of this, it's harder for me to understand the hatred others seem to feel towards the LGBT+ community. I don't understand how we offend them, quite honestly. I mean, I get it, but it's just ridiculous to me. I can't quite wrap my head around the ignorance.

So, what is your opinion about the issues facing the youth in this community? Do you think there are stressors now that make it harder on kids today than when you were in their shoes? Have you experienced this in your past, as a youth - were you bullied for being who you are?

What about the 'It Gets Better' campaign? I saw the video that was posted in this group, which I thought was fantastic!....do you think this campaign has helped spread the word to the youth in our community that yes, in fact, it does get better?

Replies

• MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think I read Al Frankin saying something like, "Instead of making videos about how life gets better, let's actually make it better for kids."

One could say that the videos do just that, make it better, but I think his point is valid. It's a first step, and only a first step. I think the internet promotes and intensifies capacities for public ridicule and isolation to an extent that we have to make sure people (kids adults, etc) understand the responsibility they have to each other. With greater power comes greater responsibility and all that.

I grew up in the midwest, and I was never bullied for being gay. I was a geek, and I flew under the radar as far as my sexuality was concerned. I don't even know if I was able to really admit to myself that I was gay. I knew I wasn't straight. I knew I didn't like girls in that way, and I even knew that I had an eye for the guys. But I couldn't bring myself to admit to myself that I was gay until I was out of high school. Admitting it to myself would have made it real and that much more terrible.

My parents' attitude didn't help. They're generally kind of paranoid people. I can't really explain it well, but there's a certain kind of pervasive paranoia/survival instinct that taints the midwest in certain ways; at least that's my observation. So, with AIDS having gotten enough press (let's not forget it was called GRID first), and with the events surrounding Matthew Shepherd's death, when I did finally come out to my parents, they were scared. I don't think they thought I was a bad person or anything. They just wanted some security for their son, and me being gay did not provide it at all. They were supportive though, but I don't think they ever realized that I got the impression from them that me being gay was a burden. And in some practical ways, let's be honest, it is, but I think it's very dangerous to view it as such.

Education is key. Things are getting better. When I was in undergrad, I had progressive professor who was kind of shocked and incredulous when I mentioned that I firmly believed that same-sex marriage would happen in my lifetime--barring getting hit by a bus. And in WA state, my domestic partnership will likely magically transform into a marriage later this year.
  • diddypants
    Options
    I think I read Al Frankin saying something like, "Instead of making videos about how life gets better, let's actually make it better for kids."

Exactly! There is a group here in STL (Growing American Youth) that marches in the parade every June, and they are absolutely inspiring because of their size and bravery. I saw them a few years back and was so overjoyed to see such a HUGE group representing. We are lucky enough to have mult. support groups for the LGBT youth in the area, which is super fantastic.

I also grew up (and still live) in the Midwest. I grew up in rural smalltown America. I didn''t come out per se until I was about 30 years old, and I often wonder if the delay was related to what some folks might call mild bullying back in my teen years. It was miserable for me esp. my first year or so of high school as I was called out and humiliated in classes I had with close friends. I have no regrets whatsoever, but people often ask what took so long....for that I have no true answer.

Education is absolutely essential - you are right on there. I also think exposure has helped as far as progression - not enough, but it seems to me (in my experience) that MOST people rethink their perspective on the LGBT community and issues once they actually associate with one of us. I wish that were the case 100% if the time.

This is a political year so I suspect gay marriage will be a hot debate once again, which is absolutely ridiculous. Leave our rights or lacktherof out of your fascist campaigns. I do not nor will I ever understand why whether or not we can legally marry should be determined by voters. That is horrificly wrong on so many fronts. I hope Washington does not back down and pushes the same-sex marriage legislation through. I wish the best and hope other states will continue to follow suit. :)