Your obstacles?

Options
I thought it would be useful to discuss what is our biggest barrier in putting on weight so we could all work together to resolve them. It could be anything from motivation, to fear to something physical.

My biggest barrier is getting over the fear of going over BMI 17.5, for some reason in my head I believe that if I reach that point, people will stop supporting me. There's no logical reason behind it but that's what my brain batters on at me.
For inspiration I look at pictures or speak to people my height who have a BMI of 20. They look amazing & I can't believe that I'm smaller than them. I need to listen to people who care about me who tell me that they won't drop their support no matter how much I weigh.

What are yours? What are you currently doing about it/what do you need to do about it?

Replies

• littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I was clinically overweight as recently as May this year. I have an extreme fear (even a phobia I guess) of gaining weight because I think that I will get back to being overweight. I'm not very good at realising that things happen over long periods of time with weight, and that 1 meal will not make my hip bones disappear. To get over it, I just keep reminding myself that my thought processes around food, weight and diet are insane and that other people know best!
  • LemonPoppySeedMuffin
    Options
    I was clinically overweight as recently as May this year. I have an extreme fear (even a phobia I guess) of gaining weight because I think that I will get back to being overweight. I'm not very good at realising that things happen over long periods of time with weight, and that 1 meal will not make my hip bones disappear. To get over it, I just keep reminding myself that my thought processes around food, weight and diet are insane and that other people know best!

You can learn more about nutrition & quantity size to ensure & guide you to how much enough & how much is too much.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options

You can learn more about nutrition & quantity size to ensure & guide you to how much enough & how much is too much.
    I know literally every number under the sun to gain/lose x amount by x date, depending on xyz...I just don't believe it will work for me. Despite the fact that when I ate almost 3000 calories every day for a week I gained just 200g which means my metabolism is probably faster than your average person's, I am convinced that if I eat the amount that the maths tells me I should, I will get unlucky and gain a ton. Recently I have also tried to become very meticulous with counting calories and log every little thing to try and ease this anxiety which is helping a little.
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have this weird belief that if I eat more than 2000 (what MFP gives me) my waist will go back to being 34.5" and that I'll just gain it all back. I was 126 at my "heaviest".
    While I logically know I have to be at 106-110, if the scale is at 104 I panic and then I won't eat. Or I eat and then work out. I suck.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am honestly just scared of gaining uncontrollably and of the comments others will make while I gain. I have only ever gained inpatient where everyone is going through what you are and thus where you feel less judgement, but out here in the real world I am scared of the thoughts people will think of me. I also think I look like I need to lose a few pounds and don't think the number on the scale should be used to determine my healthy place as much as the way I look.
  • wrestlerjf
    Options
    i think eveyone doesnt have the same problem as me, so ill most likely get no response. But i'll vent anyways. My biggest fear is if i dont continue eating alot and going to the gym that i'll end up really skinny again, like i used to be. (by all means im not huge now, but way better then before. Im currently 6'3" 215, i used to be 6'3" 178). Im still wanting to get in bigger and in better shape, but its really hard. I had back surgery and couldnt go to the gym or anything for about 5 months and i lost about 30 pounds...... i dont want that to happen again. I know most people need to gain weight and are worried about getting to big, Im a very few that need to eat more then they want to to keep at a good weight or i'll drop weight like crazy. I eat 2600-4500 calories a day(usually the higher end) and i was down 4 pounds from last week when i weighed in at the gym. I'm running out of ideas... is there a 2000calorie pill i can take???lol, but seriously...is there?
  • Beezer322
    Beezer322 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is just the process of it I guess. I'm very uncomfortable when I go over X amount of calories in a day and I don't want to send myself into a b/p cylcle.
    It helps to eat things in small portions that are calorie dense so it doesn't send my stomach into a fit, but still just going out of my comfort zone has been really though.
    Also I'm terrified of not fitting into my clothes anymore. I have lost and gained weight back once before and i just remember it being the worst most uncomfortable experience I ever went through.

However, the smart half of me knows I am at an unhealthy weight. It's like constant battle in this head of mine!
  • neotericisis
    neotericisis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bee- I totally feel you. I want to gain weight, however, when I actually did I was PO'd that I had to buy new clothes. I saved much of my size 0's in case I even get that thin again. Now that I am a size 2 hoping to be a size 5, I will save these clothes as well :) good luck!
  • LeaCandyluv88
    Options
    The reason why I was to gain weight is cause I am just tired of the your so skinny jokes. I was 135 at my heaviest in the 8th grade. I have scoliosis and have spinal fusion surgery n dropped to 110, I've been 120 since. I'm 23 and I feel like I have the body of a 14 year old. I jus want some curve and look my age. I want a butt and fill out my clothes. My biggest fear is being naked n somebody says I look sick. My family is full of curvy women that makes fun of me cause I'm thin, cause always say how they want a thick woman. I look at pictures and things that make me wanna try hard to gain weight. At least I have a friend that's a trainer that's helping me thru it cause its hard. I just need the mind set to do it and the motivation.....

Good luck on you all journey.
  • DGarnier
    DGarnier Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My obstacle is that food just doesn't interest me. I want to gain the wait but I have to be reminded to eat.
  • Allie53
    Allie53 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi DGarnier :) I came to this site to gain weight. For awhile I was looking too thin. People were telling me that and would say I am so skinny. I did start eating a lot more, and previous to that I had problems with anorexia and was going through depression. It's hard to make yourself eat when you don't even feel interested in eating, but for me it did get easier. What is good about this site is you have to keep tract of your calories and get them in by the end of the day. It's uplifting when at the end of the day I can say I did it! :) I am cheering for you, GO GO GO You can do it! If you need a friend to help let me know I would love that. There are days I don't feel like eating much, so I understand your feelings. Sometimes I just am not interested in eating.
  • VeggyGal
    VeggyGal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My biggest struggle is having enough money to buy the foods that sound appetizing to me for my vegan diet. I also just get frustrated at how much I have to eat in order to gain. I feel like I have to eat much more than most people just to gain a little weight. It feels like an uphill battle when I get depressed and feel hopeless about it.
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    Wrester, I know your pain more than you know. I'm averaging 4000 calories a day and I'm stuck at 116lbs. Garnie, I know it sucks having to find the hunger within you in order to chow down on food that you really don't want to.

The third obstacle for me is that I walk 8 hours a day when at work which burns over 1000 calories.

I'll try to lift weights as my last ditch effort to gain weight. Hopefully I can build muscle before burning the calories.

It makes me so mad that people can so easily gain weight and yet allow themselves to become overweight because they are too LAZY to burn them through cardio or strength exercises. I'd sooooooooooo wish I was overweight and work my way down to a slimmer physique.

Some you ladies here make me very angry. "I can't gain weight because I'm afraid I'll eat too much and then become overweight and horribly disfigured." Give me a freaking break. I realize having a nice looking body is important to your mental health, but I think some of you have extremely high expectations. You lot should be more thankful you're not cursed with my metabolism. I too am self conscious about my appearance, and I'm trying to fix it, but for me it's more of a physical barrier than a mental one. A barrier that's way harder to fix.

Here I am shoveling as much food as I can down my esophagus until I'm almost in tears and almost puking, yet when I'm out in public people ask me if I'm anorexic or they tell me I need to go eat a burger. It's not by choice I'm like this people!! You gals need some perspective and keep in my that you have way more control over your body than other people do, be thankful...
  • ava_bacardi
    Options
    Hi all :smile: ,

My biggest obstacle is maintaing my weight gain. Most people when they stress they eat, me I am the total oppisite, I starve myself :explode:
    So I tell myself that anything that casues me to stress, I am running from it, well riding it out my life. I am blessed to say that I have no stress!! I am DRAMA FREE. :happy: I thought this would be a fine time to gain my weight back. (see profile pick <<<:bigsmile: :bigsmile: )
    Now the problem that I have is all the weight goes to my tummy :mad: :mad: so I have to work out (which I was doing faithfully) but I have gotten so :yawn: lazy. That makes my 2nd biggest obstacle. Hopefully with my fittness pal I get ideas and support to get my to my goal and help others along the way too!!!:wink:
    I wish everyone the best of luck!!

Ava B. :flowerforyou:
  • ColetteCopeland
    Options
    My biggest obstacle to weight gain is simply that....nothing works. I eat 3000+ calories a day and nothing is happening. I'm eating mostly healthy calories, with a few less healthy mixd in, haha.

Still, no significant weight gain.