What's for dinner?

Options
molissep
molissep Posts: 452 Member
I'm stumped about what to make for dinner tonight...I'm getting tired of the same old things and I need something quick and easy to make after the gym. Any suggestions? I have chicken breasts and ground turkey in my fridge along with a zillion veggies lol

Replies

• Gribbish
    Options
    Assuming you have a decently stocked spice drawer (nothing esoteric, just fairly standard stuff) I like the following:

Toss chicken breasts in a baking pan (like a casserole dish) sprinkle on garlic salt, dried onion, white pepper, black pepper. bake at 350 for 10-20 minutes (depends on the thickness of the chicken)

Turn the chicken over, add the same spices to the other side, stuff in as many veggies as you can, and add 1/4 inch of water at the bottom of the pan (so the veggies don't burn)

bake another 20-30 mins until chicken is done.

For less crisp vegetables, add a little more water and the veggies to the pan at the beginning.

I do this now and then :) it's yummy.
  • molissep
    Options
    that does sound yummy! thanks for the suggestion :smile:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You could make chili with the turkey and veggies.
  • Bekzness
    Bekzness Posts: 122
    Options
    I've just made my dinner which was Stuffed chicken breast with brown rice from the dry cupboard and some broccoli.

I butterflied the chicken and stuffed with a tbsp of extra low fat Philadelphia and chilli spread with some chives thrown in.... was very yummy and came to 450 calories if you have a monstrous amount of rice like I just did haha!

Jazzed up the rice too with a chicken stock cube and parsley :)

Got 200 calories to spare now... just as well as I won't have time for my run tonight :(
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I like to make spice rubs for chicken. I'll assume your spice drawer is well stocked:
    1. cumin, garlic powder and crushed red peppers or cayenne (salt too)
    2. coriander, paprika, chile powder, salt if needed
    3. thyme, cumin, cayenne, garlic powder, salt
    4. curry powder, cinnamon, coriander, salt, pepper (this is morrocan inspired)
    5. italian seasoning or thyme or rosemary or oregrano, garlic powder, salt, pepper

For the sides: roast the veggies at high heat with a bit of oil and the same spice blend. Serve with lemon, lime or even vinegar to add some acid. (I'd use balsamic for options 4 and 5, lemon for any of them, lime for 1, 2, or 4, apple cider or champagne vinegar for 1, 2, 3)

Good luck. Serve with quinoa or bulgur or rice as needed.

You can also make a quick pan sauce with any of these. Take out the chicken from your pan, add some water or broth to the pan and scape up the bits from the bottom. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce it until it is pretty thick, take it off the heat and add about a teaspoon of butter and a 1-2 teaspoons of your favorite acid. Serve this with your meat and veggies.
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Try Turkey Tacos....
  • molissep
    Options
    thanks! those sound some like some awesome rubs, can't wait to try them

jlong7774 - i usually do turkey tacos once a week they are delish
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm stumped about what to make for dinner tonight...I'm getting tired of the same old things and I need something quick and easy to make after the gym. Any suggestions? I have chicken breasts and ground turkey in my fridge along with a zillion veggies lol

Chicken Tarragon sounds like a plan!!!

~katie
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Do a rolling boil on chicken in a bath of spices and seasonings some mild chilis and shred with forks.....

lightly thicken the sauce with very little cornstarch (a little goes a long way), go to slow boil and add onions, peppers, tomato chunks, MORE chilis if you feel daring....

Load up a burrito wrap.... or like me, I use a low-carb pita pocket....

Tonight I did this with pulled pork - my low-carb pita wrap, some cheese, the pork, lettuce, fresh made pico de gallo, more habanero sauce, and pan-cooked this into a quesadilla....
  • molissep
    Options
    Do a rolling boil on chicken in a bath of spices and seasonings some mild chilis and shred with forks.....

lightly thicken the sauce with very little cornstarch (a little goes a long way), go to slow boil and add onions, peppers, tomato chunks, MORE chilis if you feel daring....

Load up a burrito wrap.... or like me, I use a low-carb pita pocket....

Tonight I did this with pulled pork - my low-carb pita wrap, some cheese, the pork, lettuce, fresh made pico de gallo, more habanero sauce, and pan-cooked this into a quesadilla....

that sounds amazing! it's going on my list of things i must try! thanks :smile:
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I've just made my dinner which was Stuffed chicken breast with brown rice from the dry cupboard and some broccoli.

I butterflied the chicken and stuffed with a tbsp of extra low fat Philadelphia and chilli spread with some chives thrown in.... was very yummy and came to 450 calories if you have a monstrous amount of rice like I just did haha!

Jazzed up the rice too with a chicken stock cube and parsley :)

Got 200 calories to spare now... just as well as I won't have time for my run tonight :(

bake? panfry? time?
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I haven't have my lunch yet! O_O :P
  • blazergrad
    blazergrad Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Try Turkey Tacos....

That's what we had! They were quite good, as always.
  • healermoon
    healermoon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When starting to log calories I started really looking at dinners and found my husband's Persian background really included many many healthy meal choices. Our favorites this week were koresht Karafs which is Celery Stew, this is time consuming and you can make with any type of meat (chicken, beef, lamb), so here is the short of it....

1. slice 2-3 onions thinnly (I usually do this by cutting the onions in half first)
    2. brown onions
    3. Add bit sized meat of choice (about 1 pound)
    4. brown meat
    5. add a couple glasses of water so that it covers the meat and onions, simmer for about an hour
    6. While that simmering, cut one whole bunch of celery into 1 inch pieces
    7. cut 3 bunches of parsley (finely)
    8. cut 2 bunches of mint (finely)
    9. fry up the celery with the parsley and mint (just about 10 minutes until the parsley and mint cook down a bit and celery turns brighter green)
    10. when timer goes off for meat stir in celery mixture, add a little more water
    11. add 2 dried lemons (if you don't have them/cant find them (I have to go to the Persian store for them) then add 1/4 c. lemon juice)
    12. turn heat up to medium cook for 20-30 minutes ( you don't want the celery to get mushy)

Serve over Rice.
    for calorie count it is listed under Sadaf - Koresht Karafs

Enjoy!

Hugs-
    Kendra
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Dinner 01/28/2012

Its like spring here in southern NH (VERY weird considering its supposed to be the coldest month of the winter season).... Im itchin' for some real comfort food...

Im in the process of making a maple-bacon, roasted onion sugar, portabella mushroom, garlic butter compound...

That will go on top of some lovely eye-round steaks which will have been lightly seasoned with of garlic, koshert salt and black pepper

Ill sautee up some red bell peppers, onions on the side - kept simple...

A baked potato for hubby...

A julienned side of zucchini with some fresh herbs...

OH MY GAWD, Im salivating over the maple-bacon butter compound at the mere THOUGHT!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Kellys Cupcake Pan Lasagna
    Ingredients:
    • 1 cup marinara sauce
    • 1 pound extra lean ground beef or extra lean ground turkey breast (I mix mine half and half)
    • 12 eggroll wrappers
    • 24 wonton wrappers
    • 8 ounces shredded mozzarella
    • 3 ounces Parmesan cheese
    • 4 ounces Ricotta cheese
    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
    2. Brown beef and/or ground turkey season with garlic, salt and pepper. Drain.
    3. Spray muffin pan completely with cooking spray.
    4. Add one evenly placed eggroll wrapper in each muffin cup.
    5. Mix drained meat with pasta sauce and ricotta cheese.
    6. Reserve 6 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and 6 tablespoons mozzarella for the top of you cupcakes. Start layering your lasagna cupcakes. Sprinkle a little Parmesan cheese; add about a tablespoon of the meat mixture top with a little mozzarella and a wonton wrapper.
    7. Repeat layers ending with marinara sauce. Top with reserved Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
    8. Fold the edges of the eggroll wrapper over the top.
    9. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. To remove use a knife to loosen the edges then pop each lasagna out.