Does this ever happen to you?

Options
Last week I stayed true to my plan. I increased my workout time, reduced my calories by 50 per day. Between Monday and Saturday morning, I had gained almost a pound.

On Saturday night we were going to a favorite restaurant with friends for a celebration. We go once a year and I don't look at the menu because I have the same appetizer, salad, entree, dessert & drinks. So, I calculated the calories for the dinner and drinks as best I could and it was 1750 calories!

I got up early on Saturday and did 45 minutes on the elliptical took the dog for a walk, did a 2nd 45 minutes on the elliptical and walked the dog again in the afternoon. Between food calories and exercise I had 2000 in my "bank" for this splurge.

On Sunday I ate within my calorie range and walked the dog - enjoyed a lazy day with my husband.

Got on the scale and despite the huge meal I lost 2 pounds!!! While I am pleased, I just don't get it. During the month of January I have been losing 2 pounds, gain one back, lose 2 pounds, gain one back, lose 2...what a strange pattern.

Has anyone else had this yo-yo kind of thing going on?

Donna

Replies

• myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Only all the time! Its very frustrating! I've been trying to break into the 170's for weeks now. Been stuck at about 181 for what seems like FOREVER!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    It seems like the harder I work at it - the harder my body fights to hold onto every ounce it can!

This week I am going to actually increase my calories to that needed for basal metabolism (1500 calories) and exercise to burn 500 calories/day and see what that tweek will do.

Also, eliminating kashi go lean (and other gluten protein) reducing dairy and seeing if that makes a difference.

I have my healthy snacks for the week all ready: small honeycrisp apples (50 cal), mandarin oranges (50 cal), almonds (no salt, organic) & chocolate chips 9 of each in snack bags (85 cal) , kale chips which I made in the oven (50 cal), and vegan peanut butter cookies (110 cal).
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    That's the story of my life, although I can honestly say I've never lost 2 pounds in a week. I'm not sure how much of it is water gain. I used to ride my bike for 50-60 miles and the next day my weight would go up by 3-4 pounds. Then gradually come down over the week. So, the weekend, I'd do a long bike ride and gain 3 pounds again. It looked like I never lost anything. Same thing happened when I trained for the 3 day walk.

A few years back, I lost 30 pounds, but didn't do a lick of exercise. I felt so good, that I went out and bought a bike and joined a gym -- then I slowly gained back 20 of the 30 pounds.

Oh well -- it's weird and I think it's different for each of us, but I agree with your approach of experimenting with different calorie intake and exercise burn. Should tell you something!!
  • Jessifhill
    Options
    Yes!!! I have actually found that if I eat more (1800-2000) calories.... and only workout long enough to burn about 500 calories (using HR monitor) that I lose weight.

When I am eating 1200-1400 and have hour long workouts my weight stalls or goes up.

My advise...experiment with calories and exercise to find out how your body works best. I also try to have fewer carbs in the afternoon evening.

Good luck!! I know how frustrating it can be!! And shoot me an email if you need to vent!!
  • MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think I read on Mary Shomon's about.com thyroid site that people with thyroid issues have greater weight loss results if they add weight lifting into their routines. Of course, I'm not talking about trying to be a body builder, but if you start building some nice lean muscle, that's going to raise your metabolism a lot longer than plain old cardio would.

For me that's been the ticket. I still do my cardio, but every other day I kettlebell.
  • AlaskaLily
    Options
    It's amazing to know that you aren't the only one dealing with this, so thanks everyone for sharing! In college, 2 years after I was diagnosed with Hashimotos I lost a bunch of weight alternating between spinning, plyo boot camp stuff, and lifitng pretty heavily. I would go out to eat and splurge on the weekends (burger, beer) once in a while only to find myself 2-3 pounds down after! I always enjoyed my meals like that cause I would see the combination of my work-outs plus extra cals result in even more weight loss...totally the opposite of what I originally thought with the diet idea.

I don't shoot for burgers and beer anymore, but more of nutrient rich food, and mostly homemade meals. For example, if I crave pizza, I MAKE IT so I know what's going in my body. I alternate between 1200 calorie and 1500 calorie days depending on my work outs. I have steadily been losing 1 pound a week, and I feel pretty awesome. I think I am going to experimet and keep the alternating going to see what happens. I'll let ya know!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Wow, home made pizza - I'm impressed *lol*!

It's great that you are eating healthy and trying to figure it all out with the hashi's now.

Please, everyone keep updating. It's interesting to see what everyone is trying and give us all idea's & inspiration.

I am much older, in my mid 50's and as we age this just gets so much harder. Wish I could have gotten things under control years ago. With raising a family, working, etc., I left taking care of myself for last. It was not the way to go but can't look back now - eyes forward :)

Donna
  • melajarrells
    melajarrells Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't yo-yo. I stay the same constantly no matter what I eat. I am having more success since we got stationed in Belgium, but I think it's without eating out. I do have a frite thing!! lol I have worked out up to three hours a day before while be on a strict diet. It can be very frustrating.

Mary Shomon is very helpful. I love her on FB and her books!
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    It seems like the harder I work at it - the harder my body fights to hold onto every ounce it can!

This week I am going to actually increase my calories to that needed for basal metabolism (1500 calories) and exercise to burn 500 calories/day and see what that tweek will do.

Also, eliminating kashi go lean (and other gluten protein) reducing dairy and seeing if that makes a difference.

I have my healthy snacks for the week all ready: small honeycrisp apples (50 cal), mandarin oranges (50 cal), almonds (no salt, organic) & chocolate chips 9 of each in snack bags (85 cal) , kale chips which I made in the oven (50 cal), and vegan peanut butter cookies (110 cal).

How has this worked out for you???? I probably missed an update somewhere.

Bump
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wieght loss is so frustrating with hypothyroidism. Constantly up and down all the time. Down 2, up 1, down 3, up 4, down 1, up 1,etc... Drives me insane! As long as I have a steady downward trend I'm happy anymore.
    Although, if I work out more I do lose more. I have to eat more too, but not a lot. I have to have a deficit of ~500 calories to lose anything at all!

Fun, each of us is different, but we all have similar woes!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Update: Since posting this I have lost3 weeks in a row:

2/6. -2
    2/13 -2
    2/20 -1

total 5 pounds, I think the elimination of gluten and casein (dairy)proteins has made a difference, I also increased my calories, nothing happens at 1200 so I've been at 1400-1700 with exercise 6x per week.
  • ginnylee74
    ginnylee74 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

2/6. -2
    2/13 -2
    2/20 -1

total 5 pounds, I think the elimination of gluten and casein (dairy)proteins has made a difference, I also increased my calories, nothing happens at 1200 so I've been at 1400-1700 with exercise 6x per week.

Donna
    Thanks for the update. I'm going to make sure I exercise 6 days a week. I have only been doing 3 times. Stationary Bike. So up the exercise and stay at 1380 calories. I'm going to cut way down on gluten and casein proteins. See how it goes.
    Thanks again for letting me pick your brain.
    Ginny

Bump
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    If I plateau, the only way I can break it is to eat a large meal. I wouldn't recommend it every week, but it is a good way to shake up your metabolism once in a while.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I struggled with that from November through January. It's not that I wouldn't go down, just that I went back up where I was or even more the next day.

After a lot of hit-or-miss, limiting my net intake to 1200 finally got it moving down again. Some days I eat less, others I exercise more, depends what I feel like and how much time I have, but I have to make sure that net isn't over 1200.

I'd love to have something more helpful to say, but unfortunately you have to accept that one way won't work for everyone. Experiment with calories and see what your body responds to is really the best you can do.
  • Farfelue
    Options
    That post is very interesting.

I can go up and down 2 kilos (yes kilos, that's about 4 pounds) in 3 days!

I started on MFP not very long ago and was on 1200 cals and sometimes under. Exercise : stationary bike, occasional running and walking.
    Nothing happened.
    Fell off the bandwagon a couple of times but "made up" the excess calories.
    Still nothing happened. Or I would shed a pound and put it back on again.

I was away on hols last week and didn't try to control too much was I was eating. Enjoyed lamb shank and some mash (I don't normally eat potatoes), creme brulee, seefood, wine, rice cakes and chocolates (again, I normally stay clear from rice). I even had pastries for breakfast on one occasion, shock horror!

... came back, I had lost weight. More than that, I felt lean and clean. How?

Go figure!

Today, I'm started to feel "wrong" and bloated again and I'm sure that when I get on the scales tonight, it will have gone up.

WHY???

Okay, I'm due. Is that it?
    I didn't drink coffee there (I drink about 4 cups normally with oatmilk to avoid lactose). Is that it?
    I didn't stress over food too much, decided to enjoy. Is that it?

I haven't exercised for 2 weeks. Is that it?
    Mind... I did do a lot of walking.

Can you give me an explanation?
    I'm at a loss ('scuse the pun!)

Any ideas?
  • Farfelue
    Options
    I meant the Post of the subject, the topic, is very interesting. Not mine personally! AHAHAHAH!
  • seaglass2
    Options
    amatxi you mentioned feeling bloated. Does this happen often? I find that is one of the changes since going off gluten, not feeling bloated the other being not being constipated - I know tmi ;)
  • Farfelue
    Options
    Seaglass,

I don't eat wheat for real bad IBS so I eat oats which I know contain gluten, but since they don't give me cramps and spasms, I figured there were okay. #
    Funny you ask me that now and I'm trying to figure out what went right when I was away. I didn't consume any oat products...

I used to eat a lot of rice cakes but then found out that they are a high GI so I gave them up.

Don't worry about TMI, if it's any consolation, I'm a bad case of constipation and rely on senna tablets daily!
  • mom2BandD
    mom2BandD Posts: 101 Member
    Options

2/6. -2
    2/13 -2
    2/20 -1

The calorie increase and exercising 5-6 times a week is what has helped me lose 25 lbs since the beginning of Aug 2011. I lost a whopping 2 lbs between October 2009 and Aug 2011. And I ran regularly and everything. I yo-yo'd LIKE CRAZY before that bopped about between 179-185.

I added weights to my workouts and it does help. But so does crazy intense cardio...my workout of choice for this is TurboFire.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me exercising 7 days a week. This week was 20 minutes twice a day, minimum. I report in tomorrow so she can see how I've done. Other than being sick a few days, I've stuck to it. We'll see if it helped in weight loss over all...

I have bloating problems every time I eat something with yeast/yeast extracts in it. I'm so sad about it. No more bread for me. It also makes my skin itch, so I know I can't have it at all. I thought it was gluten for quite a while, but I'm fine with wheat gluten. So odd what our bodies grow sensitivities to.