discouraged.

Options
loribenfield
loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
I have been weighing my food and only eating when I am hungry, but I have not lost any weight since I have started eating the soft foods. I have actually gained 1 lb back. This is very depressing. Is this normal? I am sure the weight loss is slower once you start eating food but I am very unhappy about this.

Replies

• puckfan
    puckfan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i hear ya. i have weeks where i do awesome and then it seems like i just grind to a halt. last week i only lost 1 pound. it can definitely become discouraging. but, yes, it is normal. just keep doing the right things and it will come off. and i'll bet you are losing inches you don't even realize ;)
  • duckey060504
    duckey060504 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Few questions, How many calories are you eating in a day? How many are your burning? How many days post op? (water weight from IV stays about a week.) Are you drinking your water? If you answer those I may be able to help.
  • skatermom503
    Options
    You've probably hit a dreaded plateau. They last a while and then you drop a chunk. I have hit 2 so far and may be looking at my 3rd. They are a challenge but as long as you are doing everything right, they will pass and you will lose. Your body really wants to hold onto its weight and plateaus are just its feeble attempts to psych you out and do it. Good luck!
  • loribenfield
    Options
    I eat about 700 calories each day. Burn about 200 to 300 calories a day with exercise. I drink all of my water. The doctor says to stop eating when I am satisfied and I do but I think I am still not getting enough. I am going to see what the doctor says. It just makes me feel like I am failing due to some thing I am doing/not doing.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I think you might be right - too little food. That age ole rule about the body perceiving that it is starving..... It sounds like everything else is good for you ie exercise and water. Are you eating the foods they tell you to eat? Reason I ask, is today at my nutritionist apt I asked how the others, who've had recent surgery, are doing. She replied one girl-2 weeks out of lapband- ate a Subway sub sandwich - toasted sub roll et al and did not get sick or have a problem. I gasped at that one. Why would anyone NOT follow directions after surgery??? In ending, my thoughts lean towards eating a few more calories so your body doesn't think it's starving. Good luck.
    Christine
  • TraciLee36
    TraciLee36 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree to little food to keep your body burning. I went through the same thing and had a gain 2 weeks in a row then the dr told me I started eating more and what happened at 2lb loss in 3 days
  • loribenfield
    Options
    I cannot believe some one eat a subway sandwich. I did eat more today and I am two lbs lighter this evening. Guess I am trying too hard to not eat too much. Never thought I was capable of that. LOL. I also added an extra glass of water.
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    I am several years post op (almost 7 years). It can get discouraging, but you have to listen to your body. If your body is not getting enough calories to function it will start saving whatever it can. Follow your directions, talk to your doc, listen to your body. Pay more attention to the protein and water, at least that's what I did and I dropped 5lbs/week fairly consistently for 6 months. I was at my goal weight in a year and maintained for two years before life got the best of me and I gained some of it back. I'm determined to be back there sooner rather than later.

Oh, my best advice to you is to not even look at the scale. Watch how your body feels. I don't know how far post op you are, but I'm guessing not far. Step on the scale once a week, not once a day, and try to only do it every other week. Pay more attention to the extra energy you have, the way your jeans feel, how much easier it is to move around. Before you know it you'll be comfortable with your pouch and your new life. :)

For the person who ate a full Sub Sandwich two weeks after lap band... mm.... ick. I know there are a lot of differences between RNY and band, but seriously? I had RNY and I was barely hungry enough to eat an egg let alone a whole sandwich!!