Talk to me about gluten

Options
I am a bit frustrated this week.

I have ramped up my exercise considerably. Continue to make healthy eating choices in the correct portions and within my calorie count and drink at least 8 glasses of water a day - perfect!

Except that I have been putting on 2/10 lb each day.

I looked over my food diary today and because I thought I was eating too much animal protein, I started eating Kashi Go Lean the one with 14 g fiber and low sugar instead of eggs. I also have used more whole wheat pasta 4x last week.

I am wondering if the protein in wheat - gluten is the culprit here.

Also, by eating the kashi, by 11:00 I am famished. I am so hungry I can't stand it. I would be less hungry if I skipped breakfast altogether in fact!!

I decided to ramp down the exercise to 30 minutes of cardio and a walk each day and to switch back to eggs for breakfast and switch to grains like brown rice, quinoa, etc and reduce gluten and see if there is any change.

Does anyone else have any input/experience on this?

Thanks,
Donna

Replies

• shvits
    shvits Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more. So you may be building muscle but you probably are loosing inches. I tried gluten free and it made me sick...g.i. problems. try healthy snacks when you are hungry. Like an orange, a few prunes, 4 almonds, or such. Good luck.
  • sharonlane23
    Options
    i wish i could help but i'm so lost in this too, i was reading that iodine supplements could help also but i am not sure. i think i have to much protein also, but you bring up a good idea it just might be the gluten. hope you find answers. if i find anything out i will surely let you know. good luck .
    Sharon
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    General idea is that many people with hypothyroidism are sensitive to gluten -- it might not make you break out in hives, but it could be causing internal inflammation. My doctor has me avoiding gluten and dairy -- these are both highly suspicious foods that can cause issues.

So, the cheapest way to tell is to avoid them for a month and see how you feel.
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    Terry interesting about the dairy. I was eating the kashi with milk which until then I wasn't using on a daily basis. The week I switched to almond milk.

I am going to reduce/eliminate gluten and dairy and see if that helps - thanks!

Also, a pound is a pound. Muscle weighs the same as fat but it takes up less space in your body. At this point, I can say I am not at a level of fitness and I have not been exercising long enough or intensely enough (no weights, just focusing on fat-burning cardio to start off), so I doubt I am exchanging fat for muscle.

I found an electronic postal scale I had bought years ago (for mail) and it's on my counter now. I am going to weigh, measure and log my food, water, exercise and keep a log for 30 days and see what happens. It may be time to tweak my medication and if my current doctor can't offer help- might be time to find a new one!
    Donna
  • stacywx2
    Options
    Hmmm, if you're taking Synthroid, the high fiber may be interfering with your meds - it did with me. You may be also retaining water even though you are drinking 8 glasses a day. 8 glasses a day is for the average person. If you are working out more, you need more water, otherwise, your body goes into survival mode.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    Here's a recent article about gluten: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/eating-gluten-increases-need-for-thyroid-hormones/

The more I look at it, the more I think I am on the right track not eating gluten - it's not worth the risk and who knows what it's doing to our thyroid?
  • geezalawheez
    geezalawheez Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I started a gluten-free diet this past Saturday. It's only been 4 days, but I'm actually enjoying it. I find that it is actually easier to eat healthier since I can't snack on anything bready or carb-loaded. I haven't gone out to eat or anything yet though, so I'm sure it will get tougher, plus you have to read everything to make sure there isn't the slightest bit of gluten trying to sneak by me.

I also have an appointment with a new GP tomorrow that I'm very excited about. She practices Western medicine as well as holistic methods, so I'm hoping I can get on a natural thyroid and get away from Levothyroxine! I had heard that it was difficult to find a good doctor who has experience with thyroid patients, but I didn't know how little some doctors seem to care. My sister and I both have Hashi's, and our doctor told her she couldn't lose weight because she's "getting older and that's just how her body works now." The only problem with that theory is...she's only 24!

I'm going to ask about adrenals and gluten sensitivity, as well as get my RT3 tested.

So, I deviated a little from the actual topic, but it seems like it really does all go hand in hand. I'm trying a lot of different things at the moment, but I do know that I feel so much better than I did a couple months ago. I'll be sure to keep you updated!
  • seaglass2
    seaglass2 Posts: 192
    Options
    I think it's all trial and error.

Doctors will give you about 15 minutes of their time, bill it to your insurance company and then see the next patient - at least that has been my experience.

It's nice to have this forum to bounce idea's off one another!

Donna
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more. So you may be building muscle but you probably are loosing inches.

I believe this is the answer.
    I have the exactly same problem. My thypothyroidism is under control, I do an excellent diet with lot of fruits and a little bit increased protein, I have my carb intake at normal and low fat and sodium. I exercise a lot (more than an hour per day) and I run two 5k per week. Although... I lose in a steady pace 4 lbs per month, lastly I noticed an increase to my weight.
    This was after I increased the weights in the gym. I measure my body fat and it seems less while my weight is more than last time.
    That is why I believe that scale is not our friend. You need to watch out for your body fat. This one is what we should reduce.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    It is a myth that muscle weighs more that fat.

A pound is a pound. Muscle takes up less space than fat - that is why when you build muscle and lose fat the scale won't move but your clothes fit better.

I have not been exercising at a level of fitness where I am building muscle. For now it's cardio and I am building up to a level fitness where I can add weights without injury. I'd rather go slow and take small steps forward than go full tilt hurt myself and not be able to exercise.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My doctor also took me off gluten and dairy and tested me for all kinds of food allergies so I'd know which foods to eliminate (at least for the time being). I feel soooo much better. However, I didn't start losing weight until I eliminated all sugar (except from whole vegies, fruits, etc.). The weight is now slowly, but steadily coming off. I went through withdrawal (a few days), but now I have a LOT more energy and don't have the cravings I used to. I also avoid almost all processed foods (with hidden sugars, salt etc). Pretty clean, organic diet, and it's working wonders for my mood, too. I thought it'd be impossible to stick to this way of eating, but it's getting to be routine, and I'm actually enjoying it.

Hope this helps. I realize it may not be for everyone.
  • tannity2
    tannity2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention -- I have Hashi's and am down to only 1/4 gr. of Armour/day.
  • tecallahan
    Options
    I forgot to mention -- I have Hashi's and am down to only 1/4 gr. of Armour/day.

Awesome!! You are figuring it out!