Chicken Giblets and other organ meat????

OK so .. I have never delved into any kind of organ meat... but it is time!
I have a chicken at home with the giblets.... what do I do??
What do you do?? Ideas please!

Replies

• PrimalMorningMoon
    PrimalMorningMoon Posts: 85 Member
    I had never hard giblets before a couple months ago...now I bogart them and cook and eat them when no one else is around so I don't have to share! I melt a bunch of butter in a skillet and fry them up until they're done and butter-y brown. DEEEEEE...licious.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    I had never hard giblets before a couple months ago...now I bogart them and cook and eat them when no one else is around so I don't have to share! I melt a bunch of butter in a skillet and fry them up until they're done and butter-y brown. DEEEEEE...licious.

I do the same.

Beef liver, slice thin and barely sear on each side and eat.
  • I can't bring myself to actually eat it so I use it to make stock/broth.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    I actually really love gizzards, I remember when you could get a box of fried chicken gizzards from KFC! good times lol.

I haven't tried them in a really long time though.

I know I strongly dislike liver and the hearts never looked right to me either, but gizzards, no problem.

So maybe try a gizzard first? They're meaty and chewy, kind of like fatty dark meat chicken.
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    I buy pig or lamb hearts whenever I can and slice them up and cook them with onion and portobello mushrooms. I cut the mushrooms into rough chunks rather than neat slices. Sometimes I add a bit of red wine to the mix (not strictly paleo I suppose). The meat is very chewy but really delicious.

I love liver sliced thin and barely cooked and flavored with cumin powder. Do not over cook liver or it will develop a texture like leather.

I love chicken gizzards and I frequently get chicken feet (with the outer layer of skin already removed) from the local Mexican market and boil them up --- the broth is delicious and thick with collagen and the chicken feet are yummy believe it or not.