Exercise Calories on MFP

Options
Does anyone know whether or not MFP takes into consideration each person's current weight (when choosing the generic exercises such as cleaning, aerobic exercises, skiing, etc.), so that it calculates the calorie count as accurately as possible?

Was wondering that today when I input my elliptical exercise.

The elliptical machine's calorie count was way off from what MFP gave me. I had to lower the count.

~katie

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take your current weight into consideration.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    After coming home from my first workout at the gym - I wrote down my readings, and through many folks on my friend's list, they all suggested comparing the machine-readings to MFP's readings...

WOW! What a difference....

I went with the machines as both MFP and the Machines give you the ability to record height-weight and age....
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does take your current weight into consideration.

Wow, Ms. Wilson - you've lost so much weight - CONGRATULATIONS on your success!!!!

Was it mainly eating right or a combo of exercise and eating right or something else?

~katie

• katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    After coming home from my first workout at the gym - I wrote down my readings, and through many folks on my friend's list, they all suggested comparing the machine-readings to MFP's readings...

WOW! What a difference....

I went with the machines as both MFP and the Machines give you the ability to record height-weight and age....

Yeah, I"m not totally convinced MFP calories are as accurate as they should be, unfortunately.
  • mforcemaniac
    mforcemaniac Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM, which gives me something else entirely usually :P.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree with with using the HRM....which is typically a little closer to the machine than MFP.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    i use an hrm too. my calories are usually under by 100-150 from what the machine and mfp say. i've only ever been spot on with numbers once in a year since i've been using it!
  • Felidae_1981
    Felidae_1981 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The machines TOTALLY overestimate my calorie burn. I use an HRM and am considering a new one - because this one is about 4 years old :P

MFP isn't THAT far off. I try to adjust the minutes to make it match what I burn according to the HRM.