Hypothyroid- lack of weightloss

Options
Hi, is anyone else struggling with weightloss, while eating right, exercising while on medication for hypothyroid? Any helpful hints?

Replies

• cconrad13
    Options
    Morning! I'm struggling as well. I'm trying iodine therapy to supplement my thyroid med, but no luck so far. They haven't got my thyroid med balanced yet. Hang in there, you're not alone!!
  • sorcier100
    sorcier100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I too have issues with this. My thyroid gland was completely burned out with radioactive iodine back in the early 90's. I have been on synthroid/levothyroxin ever since. Since our thyroid glands control our metabolism I have been told it is impossible to increase my metabolism with products so it would be much harder to lose weight. But on a positive note...several years ago I was able to lose over 30 pounds in 32 1/2 weeks on the Body for Life program so I know it can be done. Just keep working at it and you'll see results. :bigsmile:
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Me too. Same meds. etc.. Tests are all in the normal range Dr. said I was getting too much so cut back. Weight gain began and now my diabeties is out of wack. Double that med., diet, excersize so far hasn't made a difference. I increased my thyroid meds and now the sugar is coming down so I hope the weight will too. I quite smoking 11-11-11 so expected to gain some weight but this started 10-9-11. More than a month before I quite. My take on all this is that no one knows really what is normal. We decide. We have to be flexable and aware. We can make changes as we see fit and should not always take what a Dr. says without question or discussion. Who decides what is normal for me? I do. I am not a statistic after all. Good luck and lets keep talking.:flowerforyou:
  • GillespieRoberts
    Options
    I have been diagonsed with Graves Disease and Hashimotos Thyrioditis - hyper AND hypo thyroid disease. It happens I am told. I have only gained weight for the last 8 years, so no happy side effect of the hyperthryoidism. Now my numbers are in range, but I am really struggling with losing the weight. I am exercising at 5 in the moring - before work. This time I am working up a sweat..FRUSTRATING!!!
    Question - What is the best weight for strength training? Should I use 3, 5, or 8 - or more?
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    I'm another one to add to the hypo brigade, I have finally got my meds at the right level after 2 years of trying however I take Efra instead of Levothyroxine as it really didn't agree with me. I had a rocky couple of months last year as the powers that be decided that Armour, which I was on and thriving with, was deemed unstable and pulled over here in the UK. I tend to lose a bit initially and then the weight loss stops and I can't shift it. This time rather than starve myself, which I have always done in an effort to lose weight, I am giving sensible eating and exercise a chance, I'm going to stick with it regardless and am enjoying uncovering some fantastic recipes that are low fat, low cal high taste and the best thing is over the last 3 weeks I have managed to lose 6 pounds!! Although I had put on 10 previously lol, but I'm celebrating the 6 pound! I hope everyone has some good weight loss
  • sorcier100
    sorcier100 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yay for you Jeannie! 6 pounds is a great start and I know you'll have more coming off as the weeks go by. And please share any recipes you find that are yummy. I cannot eat anything from the sea, per my doctor's instructions because I have no thyroid gland to metabolise the iodine, so I am always looking for good tasting recipes that don't include crab, shrimp, lobster, etc. Good luck to all of us on our weight loss plans! :happy:
  • GillespieRoberts
    Options
    I second the motion for posting the yummy recipies. I need things that my husband won't suspect of being low-anything. I read once that processed foods are endocrine disrupters. Is that true? I don't use artificial sweetners at all, hearing that they too are endocrie disrupters. Now I drink black coffee,; I am getting used to it. I am committed to eating better for life, not for a short time period to lose weight. I know that won't work. Yet, eating sensibly has not taken off weight. Arrr -
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    I have never been told not to eat seafood. I was never big on it but have enjoyed some shell fish from time to time, canned tuna often, canned salmon occasionally and fresh fish rarely. Now I crave it all the time and have been eating fish of all sorts, several times a week. I will ask my Dr. about this the next time I see her. I'm waiting for blood test results so it won't be long. I'll post her recommendations and let you know.
  • seriously65
    Options
    Have you tried the 7 day carb cycle diet? I am looking into it. I do the tony horton 10 minute workout and find that I have energy more, however I also suffer from high CRP levels and increasing platelet counts of course doctors here say everything is fine, even Dr. Oz says my numbers for CRP are dangerous for heart disease, how freaky is that? I don't know what the answer is, i am currently on thyroid at a high dose of 120mg, the highest that they don't like to do, but I had no movement of any kind. This all started apparently from a car accident then surgeries, I had adrenal burnout too, and gain weight everytime I am stressed, my cycle is normal, however my body gains weight every week of the 1st week of cycle, I have never been so heavy in my life, the largest in the middle, which I never had.

I have never heard of not eating seafood, but watch your greens, most have to be cooked, don't eat raw, mess you up more, also, iodine, did that, not great results, can make you worse, also did the hcg diet, issue was I was already not eating, my issue is eating and remembering to eat, that is why this site helps, however sometimes i don't reach my calorie amount, I am getting better though. My doctor recommends seeing a hemotolgist, yeah get another doctor here to that, oh the first doctor is in the states for me, as everyone here says my numbers are fine, and I was literally dying last year, crashing, I was scared, since being on the meds, I at least feel alive, fat, but alive. Gratitue for small things. Let's see if we can figure out what all the doctors say and see if we can help ourselves, I believe we have to be our own advocates in this day and age. Someone will get the answer that may help us all.
  • char102005
    Options
    Yes, I have been diagnosed hypothyroid since I was in 6th grade! Been taking Synthroid for 30some years and fighting my weight all my life. I just read Dr Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live" and have been trying to follow that diet, I have lost 14 pounds in the last 5 weeks! I just started exercising last week.
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Yes, I have been diagnosed hypothyroid since I was in 6th grade! Been taking Synthroid for 30some years and fighting my weight all my life. I just read Dr Joel Fuhrman's book "Eat to Live" and have been trying to follow that diet, I have lost 14 pounds in the last 5 weeks! I just started exercising last week.

Wow! 14 pounds in 5 weeks is amazing! Is that since you have been following the 'Eat to live' plan? I've never heard of it but will check it out asap!!
    Just a quick recipe and my favourite food at the moment, I don't know if anyone else has food cravings but I do (no I'm not pregnant!!)

Orange and bluberry couscous, I have it everyday for breakfast with Total Natural Greek Yogurt 0%
    Squeeze the juice of half an orange into a saucepan, add a handful of blueberries (any soft berry really except strawberries) a tablespoon of raisins and a pinch of cinnamon to the pan and heat till almost boiling, add 50grams couscous and cook for a few minutes, stirring to prevent burning, remove from the heat leave to stand for 2 mins, fluff with a fork and then serve in a dish with the yogurt, you can add vanilla seeds to the yogurt and add the pod to the juice whilst cooking if you want but that is optional, then sit down and enjoy!! I got this recipe from the biggest loser Australia and I love it, try it and let me know!!
    Anyone else wish to add a dish????
    Stick with it everyone we'll get there in the end x