Iodine supplements or no

Options
i'm just wondering if anyone has take the iodine supplements alone with the levothyroxine or any thyroid meds? and if you have how did they help?

Replies

• tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    No I haven't tried it... I've heard some did well with iodine and seleninum -- some don't. It's very individual. Here's a pretty good article about it: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/iodine12345/

But, my personal opinion (and you know that everyone has opinions, right?)... is that synthetic T4 only cannot help your thyroid and long term use of it can cause other problems. If I was you, I would ask/beg my doctor for Natural Dessicated Thyroid. Just sayin!
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options
    I have read that iodine supplements should only be taken if you're actually iodine deficient. If you're not deficient and you take it, and can cause your thyroid to shut down even more.

And I echo the sentiment about combination treatment. I take synthroid and armour and I feel much better with the addition if the armour.
  • Gwommit
    Options
    I have Hashimotos Thyroiditus and started taking a multivitamin with Iodine. I felt lousy and next thing I had a thyroid storm where my thyroid enlarged and I was very tired all the time. My endo said it may or may not be due to the iodine. I spoke to a friend who is a qualified naturopath / herbalist and she said that some people with thyroid disease react and others dont. She also said my reaction was typical of someone who does and advised me to avoid iodine supplements, I have since and not futher dramas. Since then I have been tested for iodine deficiency and my levels are fine. Not sure if that helps, but it is my own story.
  • DenverKos
    Options
    I have Hashimotos Thyroiditus and started taking a multivitamin with Iodine. I felt lousy and next thing I had a thyroid storm where my thyroid enlarged and I was very tired all the time. My endo said it may or may not be due to the iodine. I spoke to a friend who is a qualified naturopath / herbalist and she said that some people with thyroid disease react and others dont. She also said my reaction was typical of someone who does and advised me to avoid iodine supplements, I have since and not futher dramas. Since then I have been tested for iodine deficiency and my levels are fine. Not sure if that helps, but it is my own story.

THANK YOU for posting your experience! It's for this reason, and it's a VERY common occurrence, that I go crazy about so many sites pushing iodine on thyroid patients. I believe the iodine is what caused my thyroid storm as well. Most people do get enough iodine in our diets and don't need to supplement.