sugar cravings

Options
I crave sugar and sweets (yes, even fruit) can I be missing something in my diet?

Replies

• toque88
    toque88 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to crave tons of sweets too. That was back when I was eating just 3 large meals a day - and irregular snacks. But now, I eat 5 times a day, which comes out to every 3 hours. My meals are between 200 - 300 calories each. I've been doing this for about two weeks now, and noticed that my cravings for sweets after each meal are not overwhelming. I still have them, but I can think them away. I also try to get as much protein as I can in the afternoon and evening meals. The more protein I get, the fewer the sugar cravings.

Hope this helps.
  • ptamt65
    Options
    Thanks so much ... I don't get enough protein according to this site - I will give it a try though. Have you heard of low magnesium causing sugar craving? I will attempt increasing my protein to see if that helps - if not perhaps adding some magnesium to my diet. Thanks again!
  • polarbear1972
    polarbear1972 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the sugar cravings also, i have found that smaller meals every 3-4 hours with lots of protein and gum seem to work , try several and find a flavor that satisfies the sweet craving, I found that for me Wrigley's 5 rain and React work really well.
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sugar is absolute poison and I was really addicted. I found I had to just stop eating sweet stuff to reduce my cravings and low fat food kept triggering my cravings due to the sugar content so I try to avoid that stuff as well. These days I find a piece of fruit usually satisfies my and I also drink Twinings brand chamomile, vanilla and honey herbal tea when a craving hits. It really hits the spot :smile:

I also take magnesium which has really helped and upped my protein intake. Hope this helps!
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    I take artichoke extract and it really helps me with my sugar cravings.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, just can't stay away from it.I have never heard of artichoke extract, what is that and does it taste bad?
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    Red, It is a supplement called Alcochofa which is Spanish for Artichoke. It has fennel, grapefruit, ACV too. Google it ;) Walmart pretty much stopped carrying it but I see it there every once in a blue moon.

I think the ingredients works as a liver cleanse but for a lot of people it helps with cravings and hunger. It helps me A LOT.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that information Aphreal. You notice a difference if you don't take it? Any side effects?
  • Mommyofseven
    Options
    Be careful taking any supplement with grapefruit in it if you routinely take medications as it can effect a lot of meds in different ways. Ask your Dr. or pharmacist to be sure.
    For sugar cravings...have you been checked for diabetes? Sometimes having Carb crashes can cause extreme sugar cravings.
    When I came off all refined carbs, my cravings went away after the third day.
  • HealthyChicana
    HealthyChicana Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know you may think this is weird but I was having some major sugar cravings along with some other health problems. I see an immunologist/allergist for environmental allergies. He also has studied and researched chronic candida. This is basically an overgrowth of yeast in your gut. Since I mentioned the extreme cravings for sugar, he conducted an assessment questionnaire and then blood work. I have that chronic candida and the reason I crave sugar is because yeast feeds on SUGAR!! The more I practice eating without yeast and sugar, the less I crave it. But it IS hard to resist!!!
  • Tmrice721
    Tmrice721 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sugar is absolute poison and I was really addicted. I found I had to just stop eating sweet stuff to reduce my cravings and low fat food kept triggering my cravings due to the sugar content so I try to avoid that stuff as well. These days I find a piece of fruit usually satisfies my and I also drink Twinings brand chamomile, vanilla and honey herbal tea when a craving hits. It really hits the spot :smile:

I also take magnesium which has really helped and upped my protein intake. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reminder, I ran out of magnesium... I actually take it to help with my cramps but I didn't know it helped with sugar cravings as well... no wonder I have been eyeing the sugar bowl and drooling...:laugh:
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing with the yeast in my gut. It flares up now and then, so I will go two weeks or so with no sugar and that seems to help. The first day or two is awful, but then the craving goes away. I take acidophilus too.
  • CailleachBeara
    CailleachBeara Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I couldn't believe how much more energy I had when I stopped eating a lot of sugar, it really drains you and it's very ageing. No one needs that!
  • jennings712
    Options
    BUMP