Fish Oil Supplements

Options
njdoll
njdoll Posts: 106 Member
Can anyone recommend a fish oil supplement that doesn't, err...repeat on you? My husband is willing to take them to get Omega 3s but is complaining about burping up fishy essence (for lack of a better way of explaining it.)

Replies

• monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    They're out there - you just gotta read the labels. Most 'burpless' are pricier than their smellier counterparts, tho.
  • cjipping
    cjipping Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    try putting them in the refrigerator, that's what we do. If i take them on an empty stomach i still get the burp but not when i take them with a meal. I agree that you get what you pay for!
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    My husband and I like the Barlean's brand. We take them with meals.
  • njdoll
    Options
    He does take it with food and still has the issue, so I think I'll see if I can get a better brand. I didn't realize there were specific burpless ones (at least he's not alone!)
  • cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    I dont take them but have read quite a few places that if you store them in the freezer this helps with that fishy taste/after taste. Again Im not speaking from experience but it might be worth a try.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Personally, it doesn't bother me as my 'go to' snacks are often a can of sardines or tuna with sriracha.

Between smelling of fish - or smelling of stale Cheetos - I'll go with the fish. ;)
  • njdoll
    Options
    Bought a new brand, stuck it in the refrigerator. Let's see how it works out.
  • missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've switched from regular fish oil to krill oil and don't have any problems at all with the burp factor, where I did with fish oil
  • njdoll
    Options
    well the "burpless guaranteed" fish oil I bought did repeat on him. Granted, it was right out of the package and it is now in the refrigerator so we will try it one more time tomorrow. I took it w/o any problems and I actually really liked what I read on the packaging so I will use it for me regardless.

Thanks for the krill oil recommendation. Come hell or high water, I *will* get some omega 3s into this man (but preferably willingly and without complaints!)
  • njdoll
    Options
    Just to follow up, but the suggestion of refrigerating the fish oil capsules plus taking them during a meal has resolved the issue! My husband is dutifully taking his daily omega 3s :)
  • demuralist
    demuralist Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    This is what I take, no hint of a problem...http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil
  • Jenbtech
    Jenbtech Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ive never had any problems, but I take the supplement and then drink my berry smoothie. It must kill the burp.