yoga calories burn

Options
toffee322
toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
do you guys feel the calories calculated in mfp? i think the number is more accurate if it's a hatha class.. but how about a hot yoga class? or power yoga? i do hot and power classes almost everyday (2 classes).. and it gives me only about 260 calories for 2 hrs of yoga.. what do you guys think? thanks!

Replies

• jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably higher..depends on your level of effort and HR during the session. I've done both Hot Yoga with the traditional 27 poses and a hot tapas class with focus on legs. I work pretty hard in both classes and feel my heart rate going. For upcoming class on Monday..I plan on wearing my HRM. I"ll post back what it outputs.
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it's probably higher..depends on your level of effort and HR during the session. I've done both Hot Yoga with the traditional 27 poses and a hot tapas class with focus on legs. I work pretty hard in both classes and feel my heart rate going. For upcoming class on Monday..I plan on wearing my HRM. I"ll post back what it outputs.
    yes please!!! i can feel my heart beating some times in class but not constantly.. usually after an intense pose.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think that generic "yoga" that is listed on MFP is for an average Hatha class. Depending on your size and fitness level of course, I think you can burn around 180 - 300 calories for 60 min Hatha. I compare it to about walking for 60min. For Hatha Flow and Ashtanga classes I estimate a bit more, depending on what we actually did in class that day. They say for Power Flow and Vinyasa classes, an average person burns anywhere between 300 - 500+ for an hour??? There's such a range, not just in calories but in each style, class, teacher, etc. so it's really hard to estimate, unless you have a HRM...

Right now for yoga, I check out several calculators and take the lowest or avg number. I also compare it to other types of workout I do (walking, cardio or strength training) and see if the actual work I did matches that number. That's my best guesstimate!! I take all numbers on MFP with a grain of salt anyways and figure an estimate is better than nothing:)

check out: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc (includes hot yoga)

Until I get a HRM, I love to hear from anyone who's worn one to a class:flowerforyou:
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    So I've had some technical difficulties with my new HRM...but here are a few samples over the last few weeks:

- P90x Yoga - time: 90 min. First hour sequence between warrior poses, downward dog, balances, etc. = 400-500 calories
    - Hot Yoga - traditional 27 poses - 300-350 calories

The HRM has some issues when I'm doing the poses when I'm on my stomach.
  • scotrunner
    Options
    Hello, I do an hour long vinyasa yoga class or astanga at home and I've worn my HRM a few time. I burn approx 100 calories in an hour. I'm 5' 6" and 133lbs. I run for fitness so I think the yoga just doesn't raise my heart rate enough to burn a lot (I always do all the vinyasas, never sit them out. It's the same for my body pump class, I burn about 200 calories. Some of mfps can burn 500 or so. I think it depends on your fitness.
  • yogibella
    yogibella Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    thanks guys!

even if the burn isn't huge, I think yoga is still wonderfully beneficial and your muscles still get a conditioning.

jlira01 - does the chest strap on your HRM get in the way of your poses? that's my concern for getting one--it seems uncomfortable to wear to each class. :(
  • scotrunner
    Options
    I agree, I think yoga is about so much more than calorie burn. I love doing yoga and I love the balance it gives me combined with running.

I don't find my HRM strap uncomfortable- you wear a bra and it fits underneath my sports bra. In saying that I don't wear mine everytime I exercise, I just use the same figure I got acouple of times. I always wear it for my running though.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest trend in yoga lately (yoga rave) would be a huge calorie burn. Looks so fun.

http://www.seattleyogarave.org/
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    My HRM is all over the place during my yoga classes and varies on the type of class being offered. I notice an increase during the hot classes, but not to the extent some online tools give. Even though I'm logging the calories, I'm not focusing on them any more and am just enjoying the classes. Best muscle recovery ever after a week of cardio and weights!