Yoga Routine?

Options
I have a question for all, something that I have been wondering quite often.

I am new to doing yoga, and finally have committed to attempting to eat healthier and I'm doing yoga as my exercise because I find it much more fun and enjoyable than basically all other workouts. Now the question I have is, do you practice the same routine day in and day out, or do you cycle your routines?

I only ask this because I know that for all other forms of exercise that repeating the same thing over and over again, for example running 5 miles every day, is not "good" because it isn't muscle confusion and only the muscles you work during that specific routine or workout are being worked, thus making them become accustomed to it and eventually plateau and help you less than alternating your routine.

Any ideas here? And also, I was wondering if you do cycle your routines, would anybody be able to help me make a schedule possibly? I've been trying to change it up slightly every day for the past week and it all has been good, but I just want to be sure, and I'm always open to learning new things!

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I change mine daily, but that's the style I do.

Other styles have the same poses each time.

That said, you can make the same poses harder or easier - just like you can add or lower weight to a bicep curl. I do not think it is possible to plateau in a pose if you know what you're doing.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I change what I do, depending on what my body needs. Also, I go to classes taught by a few different teachers, and they all teach differently. I think it's good to mix things up, challenge in different ways every day, learn new things.
  • nikirtehsuxlol
    nikirtehsuxlol Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go to classes. I hardly ever do my own personal practice. I did do that free 15 day trial of yogavibes. I am waiting to see how easy that will be to cancel....

When I teach, I typically follow this framework:

breathing/centering - 5 min
    cat/cow (mild stretching, forward folds) - 5-10
    8-10 plain sun salutations or 4-5 sun salutations with poses mixed in - I dont know I try to have this last till at least 30 minutes into the class
    standing poses and balancing poses - I try to have this last for 15 minutes so I have at least 15 minutes for the last 3 parts.
    floorwork (bridge, supine twists, arm balances, shoulderstands) - 10-15
    savasana and then namaste part - 5 min

Google "yoga sequence" or "yoga sequencing" and that might help you find some new resources.

There are certain types of yoga where you do the same thing. Maybe Ashtanga, Mysore, "proper" bikram classes. And most others you vary your practice a little bit.

BKS Iyengar has a good book that has a list of things that go wrong with the body and then a practice you can do to help with that ailment. It's also kind of a library of poses with pictures. And some of them are intense! But if you're the type that can learn from books that would be a great resource.
    Light On Yoga - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805210318/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=individuallyw-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0805210318
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    the yoga classes i go to are taught by different teachers so they are different in their own way... even same teacher could teach differently on different days.. i never practise on my own.. i think it's more fun and more encouraging to practise as a group! especially if the group has similar level as you. and also my place is too small to have an empty space for my mat and an empty wall to practise handstand! lol.. have fun!
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    I'm (fairly) new to yoga too, and right now I'm using a DVD that has 5 routines included. They each focus on a different set of poses-- standing, twists, backbends, forward bends, and hip openers.

I also go to class once a week, and the instructor mixes things up each week.
  • jlira01
    jlira01 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do varied sessions during the week based on my schedule. I've been practicing for 3 months. I do the following: 1-2 led classes, heated and small group setting. P90x 1 and 2 Yoga DVDs and I have a mac software app called all-in Yoga. I sprinkle in specific pose practice at times before or after my weight/cardio workouts. I'm not at the place yet where I sequence my own sessions.
  • Nogoodskills
    Options
    Thank You everyone for your help!

This gives me a much better idea as to what I should do, very much appreciated!
  • eatpraylovetrain
    Options
    I'm quite new to yoga, so I don't know much, but I think it would be smart to mix it up a little. You can make the poses easier or harder with some modifications. I don't know if you take any classes, but if you do, you can try switching it up with different styles of yoga and/or different instructors. I myself can't afford classes, so I do yoga routines from dvds and youtube videos plus from a book by Tara Stiles. But you can switch it up even if you don't take classes by just choosing a different dvd/youtube video focusing on different things, like maybe first flexibility then another day core strenght, then abs bun and thighs, abs and arms etc. Good luck with your practice!
    As I mentioned I'm very new to yoga myself, but feel free to add me if you like. Maybe we can give each other some help and tips :)