Hello :)

Options
I just joined the group! In the last 18 months I've gained 39 lbs, I've always been fit and healthy, so it was pretty difficult for me to accept. Starting in September 2011 I started crashing completely. Exhausted, losing hair, freezing cold, muscle cramps, dry eyes, messed up cycles etc. Finally, at the end of December, I was just fed up, I wasn't living my life anymore. I was sleeping whenever I had even a second to close my eyes.

I didn't know what was wrong, I thought it was PCOS, I was diagnosed with that about 7 years ago. Ultrasound showed clear ovaries (first time I've ever seen my ovaries empty!) so then a battery of tests ensued. I was having blood tests a few times a week. My TSH came back high but within the normal range. My dr was smart enough to run my ft3's and ft4's and antibodies. After about a month of tests, I was diagnosed with Hashi's. I just had an ultrasound of my thyroid done on Thursday and I'm waiting on the results. I started on Armour Thyroid on Thursday also.

I'm excited for this to start working, to get back in my life again, and especially, to get back in shape!

Replies

• seaglass2
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

I joined the group in January - it's a nice place to exchange idea's and to give/get support!

I think it's all trial and error. What works for me might not work for you but anything is worth a try when what you are doing isn't working.

I am also taking armour and it has worked out great for me. Give it some time to kick in. Good luck with your goals!

Donna
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thank you for the welcome Donna! So far I haven't noticed any difference at all, no side effects either though, so I guess that is a good thing!

Amy
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You will notice a difference after being on the meds for a while. Took about 90 days for me. Then, I woke up one morning feeling like I had just come out of a fog. A fog I hadn't realized was there before. This is kinda weird, but I remember painting my finger nails and realizing I hadn't done that in months because I just didn't have the energy to do that one small task for myself. Patience is hard, but I can guarantee the end is worth it.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    You will notice a difference after being on the meds for a while. Took about 90 days for me. Then, I woke up one morning feeling like I had just come out of a fog. A fog I hadn't realized was there before. This is kinda weird, but I remember painting my finger nails and realizing I hadn't done that in months because I just didn't have the energy to do that one small task for myself. Patience is hard, but I can guarantee the end is worth it.

The fog, I understand that. It's like I'm not even living anymore, my head is always in that fog. If I have time to paint my nails...I have time to take a nap instead LOL It would be so nice to wake up and feel NORMAL one day, to have this depression lift. I know it will take patience and adjustments in my dosage, but it's nice to know what is wrong and have a reason to be hopeful <3
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Be patient with yourself -- so glad you have a doctor that prescribed Armour!! You are getting good treatment right from the start. But it's not an exact science - he will need to watch you closely and tweak as you go -- and you have to keep track of your symptoms because the labs aren't the whole story.

My Naturopath keeps telling me that in some ways I am my own worst enemy because I stress myself out -- so it's important to stay calm. You are on the right track!!
  • debbiepa
    Options
    Hello!
    Welcome to the site and group!
    I was also recently diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, but it wasn't until I gained 17lbs in 3months, despite a lot of exercising and watching what I was eating. I've been meds for 4wks and things are finally starting to normalize. I go back in 2wks for follow up; hopefully everything will continue to stay on track from here. I'm training for my next 1/2 marathon and working on losing the extra weight. It'll be a slow journey, but I'm up for the challenge! Good luck to you! Things should start to improve soon and you'll hopefully start to feel more like yourself.
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
    Welcome!! Be patient with yourself -- so glad you have a doctor that prescribed Armour!! You are getting good treatment right from the start. But it's not an exact science - he will need to watch you closely and tweak as you go -- and you have to keep track of your symptoms because the labs aren't the whole story.

My Naturopath keeps telling me that in some ways I am my own worst enemy because I stress myself out -- so it's important to stay calm. You are on the right track!!

My dr told me that I needed to reduce my stress too. It's not really possible, with work, the economy, and being a single mom, there are always stresses and worries. He told me to try to take a relaxing 2 week vacation without the kids to try to get my cortisol levels back to normal. I laughed a bit...not really possible, plus I'd worry like crazy about them if I was away from them! Not very relaxing LOL
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!

My dr told me that I needed to reduce my stress too. It's not really possible, with work, the economy, and being a single mom, there are always stresses and worries. He told me to try to take a relaxing 2 week vacation without the kids to try to get my cortisol levels back to normal. I laughed a bit...not really possible, plus I'd worry like crazy about them if I was away from them! Not very relaxing LOL

I take Natural Calm 2x a day - it's just Magnesium. You dissolve it in water and it takes like fizzy orange juice. I also went to Borders Books and purchased two guided meditation CDs. I run a warm tub with lavender bath salts and make a cup of camomile tea, light some candles and listen to the meditation. It's a 20 minute spa treatment for myself. If you can get the bathroom to yourself, it's worth the investment.
  • fit4future
    fit4future Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome emnjjsmom!

Add me as a friend if you like :flowerforyou:
  • 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I do have my lavender soaps and my salts and stuff like that, I take baths pretty often to warm up! I will check into some meditation cd's though, that's a good idea.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    you will get there like the others say it takes a while to start to feel the benifits but you will. I cant believe I went on for so long feeling dreadful my sleep patterns were out of control and I was always cold. I am living again and feel great. I really wish you well and hope you soon start to feel much better :O) xx