Using a slo cooker

Options
2»

Replies

• Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    That was kind of the plan, to cook bigger quantities and portion up and freeze. Shame I only have a fridge with small freezer section at the top *sigh*. Might invest in a slow cooker from Argos, I found. Breville one for £16 on sale....
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    OK - I am now the proud owner of a 3.5l Breville Slow cooker! :D
  • simples88
    Options
    Wouldn't be without mine! I Have mutton that I picked up from a farmers Market in chorley that I'm going to pop in my slow cooker in the morning for a lamb curry..mutton, onion, tin of toms, bit of stock n plenty of spices...pepper thrown in during the afternoon then hey presto yummy curry. Just what is needed when the weather in horrible outside.
    I think most meats work in the slow cooker, you just need a bit of confidence to experiment. Pea n ham soup this week- I'll be cooking the gammon in there first (just bought a joint for 1.39 on the bargain shelf in morrisons, love a bargain meal)
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Congratulations! lol Mine only cost £20 I think, same size and had it a few years now. I think it's a cookworks one.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options

Haha that was quick Ant !!! It's great to come home from work to the smell of a meal ready cooked!
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    OK, N00b question:

What happens if I am out from 6:30am - 5pm? That's too long to leave it, right? Assuming I will come home to find the kitchen on fire or something...
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    OK, cheers - I'll have a look :flowerforyou:
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    What about a timer plug? You could set it to come on say 9 or 10am and it'd be perfect when you get in. Having said that I also leave mine on all day. Apparently only uses the same electricity as a lightbulb so shouldn't go on fire so long as there's liquid in it and the seal is good so it doesn't dry out.
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    On the Q&A thread that was linked above, somebody said you shouldn't use a timer plug - something to do with leaving meat and stuff sitting around in the pot but not cooking (conditions to breed bacteria). Likewise the same poster mentioned that having it cut out before it spoils will mean the pot stays very warm and bacteria could grow. Sounds a bit anal to me but I suppose it might happen. From what I read it seems that people leave them on low heat for 12 or 13 hours quite a lot anyway. I'll have to experiment at the weekend first, so I can monitor the concoction regularly.

I have stewing steak, stock cubes, spuds, a leek, carrots and onions, that I'm going to do in it tomorrow. Don't know if I am meant to be pouring water in with it or not...

Back to Google for recipes!

Oh and the glass lid just sits on top of the pot section on mine - I didn't see any rubber seals or anything?
  • Anna_43
    Anna_43 Posts: 117
    Options
    My one has a glass lid that sits on top too - no seal.... would actually woprry about leaving it on for so long while not being at home.... Hmmmm
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No, mine has a glass lid with a metal rim and I've left it on low all day before now. Slow cookers effectively steam the food, hence why you don't need to add as much liquid as you think you should.

As Michael McIntyre said I'm not sure why there's such a distrust of appliances lol you trust the fridge and freezer when you go on holiday, but not the TV? People used to do casseroles in the oven and leave them on for hours. The slow cooker has a fuse in the plug, I'm sure it would trip the electrics before the house set on fire...
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Timer plugs work and are dirt cheap these days. I too have a huge slo cooker, so I make batches and freeze, and yes, simply divide total calories by the ratio of the portion size to the whole lot (I am anal about it but roughly is good enough if your portion sizes are all alike). I use my slo cooker for casseroles, soups, curries and meats... might buy the book shown in the thread now though! Thanks to whoever posted it first (Anna I think but my short-term memory is rubbish!).
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    I'm breaking my cherry Today...

Chopped everything up and put it into the SC at quarter to nine this morning. It smells lovely :)

300g Stewing steak
    340g spuds
    150g onion
    150g leek
    200g carrots
    80g mushrooms
    2 Oxo vegetable stock cubes made up to 500ml, with boiling water
    Salt & pepper

Added it into my recipe list on MFP and it works out at 389 cals per serving but I guessed at 3 servings for that batch, it may stretch to 4 and bring the cal value down lower... we'll see this evening!
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Chopped everything up and put it into the SC at quarter to nine this morning. It smells lovely :)

300g Stewing steak
    340g spuds
    150g onion
    150g leek
    200g carrots
    80g mushrooms
    Salt & pepper

Added it into my recipe list on MFP and it works out at 389 cals per serving but I guessed at 3 servings for that batch, it may stretch to 4 and bring the cal value down lower... we'll see this evening!
    Sounds good enough that you might have to recalculate for 2 portions... or is that just my old habits creeping back?!

Bon appetit.
  • NickiTip
    NickiTip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love reading these posts! made me think of dragging my sc out of cupboard for tommorow, me thinks a chicken casserole for tommorow nights tea!!
    :happy:
  • Ant_M76
    Options

300g Stewing steak
    340g spuds
    150g onion
    150g leek
    200g carrots
    80g mushrooms
    Salt & pepper

Sounds good enough that you might have to recalculate for 2 portions... or is that just my old habits creeping back?!

Bon appetit.

Just had some! Cooked it on low for 7 hours and split it into 3 equal portions. Tasted totally awesome :tongue: