Weight Routine Question

Options
Hi, my name is Dudley.

I originally lost about 50 lbs over the course of about 6 months, going from 250-200, doing nothing but cardio (Jogging, basketball, biking, golf, etc). Since then I've been trying to get into a weightlifting routine, mostly upper body because for some reason I just really hate working out my lower body so I just let my cardio take care of that for me.

I've been weightlifting for 4 months now and I've tried to change the routine up a lot between months:

1st month I did 3 x 10 with supersets for each muscle group (Chest, Shoulder, Tri, Shoulder Bi)
2nd I did 3 x 4 with no supersets
Right now I've been doing 5 x 20 trying to take less than 1 min breaks between sets

Then for abs I've been doing 100 crunches, 100 cockroaches, 25 kickouts, bicycle and reverse bicycle for 30 seconds, 50 ab twists w/ a 30-40 lb dumbell, and then 50 side bends with a couple 50 lb dumbells.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is a good routine? I've lost a bunch of weight but still have some noticeable fat in bad areas (love handles) and looking for any tips on how to help.

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    No its not.

Look up Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

Train your lower body ffs, it has more muscle mass in it, it will help you lose weight
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You haven't stated your goal, but I am assuming you want to build some reasonable muscle, so with that in mind.

In terms of building muscle, ignoring your lower body is a cardinal sin. As with all Compound (multi joint) moves Squats and Deadlifts help increase testosterone levels. They also give your Abs the workout you are looking for.

Also, even if your program was successful, you would end up looking like a North Sea oil rig with large mass on matchstick legs - it's not a good look!

Avoid Isolation exercises and concentrate on Compound movesAs you're new to lifting I would suggest a full body similar to the one below that I know as the Ten Tigers Full Body . Rotate between workout A & B and train three times a week. Weight wise, you should be aiming to fail on the last rep of the last set . Start with 3x10 reps

Workout A
    Squats
    Bench press
    Stiff Legged deadlift
    Military press
    Chinups

Workout B
    Deadlift
    Dips
    Lunges
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Bent Over Rows

Don't forget diet, you need a decent amount of protein from a variety of sources approx, 2grams per KG and it is difficult (though not impossible especially for a beginner ) to build muscle on a calorie deficit.

I'm sure others will have some good ieas for you and I am sure some people will prefer Split routines but whatever you do - Good Luck

Gareth
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on your 50lb. loss. If you are serious about weightlifting, you should put alot of time into your legs. Most of the muscle mass in our bodies resides in the legs, and cardio isn't going to do anything for them. As someone else said if you succeed at all with an upper body workout, you are going to look top heavy. Depending on your goals, build muscle, lose more weight etc. will determine what you need to do. My opinion is no matter what your goals are stay away from isolation exercises and focus on compoud exercises. The squat, or some form of it, should be in your workout no matter how you structure it. Also doing that many ab exercises in one workout is not going to build your abs (if that's what you're determined to do) any quicker than a couple of sets of crunches and planks. Hope some of this helps.
  • HFS1108
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Right now I'm home from school and limited in the equipment I can use so I can't deadlift or any kind of heavy squat. I'm hoping to get 2-3 more workouts back in before I leave for school, any advice on a a slightly structured full body workout before I can get to a real gym?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this will work for men, as y'all are stronger than me, but I only have dumbbells at home (the kind you add little plates too, not the pre-set weight kind). I load one up with 50-60 pounds and do 5 sets of 10 sumo squats with that. I also do lunges, since it's one leg at a time and I don't need as much weight (one legged squats with your back leg balanced on a chair would also work). I also do dumbbell dead lifts. But really it depends on how much weight you have now vs. how much is a challenge for you.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    No its not.

Train your lower body ffs, it has more muscle mass in it, it will help you lose weight

Once you can get into a real gym, take the above advice please.
    EDIT: Regarding your last question about what to do in the next 2-3 workouts, for sheer simplicity I'd say do what you were doing in month 1 since you would at least be operating in a reasonable rep range.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    You have no Barbell? You only have Dumbells?

Try and throw in some Kroc Rows, Chins and Lunges
  • HFS1108
    Options
    You have no Barbell? You only have Dumbells?

Try and throw in some Kroc Rows, Chins and Lunges

For the next week and a half, yes.

I looked up stronglifts, is it just this?

Workout A
    Squat 5x5
    Bench Press 5x5
    Barbell Rows 5x5

Workout B
    Squat 5x5
    Overhead Press 5x5
    Deadlift 1x5
  • HFS1108
    Options
    How about this for my next few workouts?

3 x 10 Bench Press
    3 x 10 Dumbbell shoulder press
    3 x 10 kroc rows
    3 x 10 lunges
  • HFS1108
    Options
    double post
  • HFS1108
    Options
    triple post
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Yup, thats pretty much SL.

That routine looks alright for now, if you can, why not throw in some chins and dips? Chin up bars are mega cheap and all you need to do some dips is a couple of chairs
  • HFS1108
    Options
    I added dips to the workout and I feel pretty good. Felt weird to do legs again, I'm gonna be sore as hell tomorrow. Wish I had heavier dumbbells, I had to use 60's when I was doing the Kroc rows.

I'll update you guys once I start doing compound lifts so I can see where I stand with you guys weight wise.

My squat max when I was 16 was 375, so who knows what the hell it is now.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    No its not.

Once you can get into a real gym, take the above advice please.
    EDIT: Regarding your last question about what to do in the next 2-3 workouts, for sheer simplicity I'd say do what you were doing in month 1 since you would at least be operating in a reasonable rep range.

Just say no to chicken legs.
  • bradzahringer
    Options
    I recommend the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It has an awesome beginners program. All compound exercises to build core strength.