Workouts

Options
The following is a quote from Glen Mills @ goswim.tv right after posting a brutal workout.

My philosophy on many swims is this. The first 75% of the majority of competitive swim races are completed with planning, technique and training. If you're not depending on one muscle for the last 25%, you're not achieving the ultimate. That muscle is... HEART. You'll know what I'm talking about if you've lived it. If you haven't... give it a shot... it's fun to be in pain.

I think this philosophy fits well with triathlon. I try to push myself to past what I want or think I can do at least 1 workout per week. My question to the group is what workouts are you doing that bring the PAIN?

For me:
Swim: 5x100 on 1.20, easy 100 / 5x100 on 1:15, easy 100 / 5x100 on 1.10 survive if possible
Run: 4x1 mile all out 5 min rest between each
Bike: I don’t have a great bike workout

Replies

• denisegross144
    denisegross144 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My runs are the hardest. I'm going to try what you suggested tomorrow on my run.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Usually, when I can pull it off, I do a hard computrainer ride on Fridays. There's a tri store near us that has a computrainer room with 15 slots and 2 screens. Groups will vote what workouts they want to do, then go for it. They have everything from ironman routes to intervals to threshold tests. The shop owner lets you stay as long as you like. I've done rides from 1.5-2 hours. She downloads the ride data then emails it to me.

My logic is this: I can do fat burning aerobic training workouts 6 other days of the week. But when I'm in that room, with other people around me, including store workers dropping in n out to check on things? I'm balls to the wall. I tell myself I'm going to ride all out for 1 hour, and be done. Then when the hour ends, I keep going till I wished to God Above I'd have stopped when I said I would. And God help me if somebody from the shop throws me a compliment. That just keeps me going even longer.

It's not pleasant, and it takes a weird way of seeing the world to think this is fun. But I really do enjoy it. Crazy.
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You're doing 100's on 1:20, 1:15 and 1:10? Dude, I didn't even have to do that in high school! Well on the days my coach gave us 60 x 100 we ended up on 1:20 and below, but when it got to 1:10, we were just coming in. I'm lucky to get in at 1:20 now. Kudos to you!
  • skiing1313
    skiing1313 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You're doing 100's on 1:20, 1:15 and 1:10? Dude, I didn't even have to do that in high school! Well on the days my coach gave us 60 x 100 we ended up on 1:20 and below, but when it got to 1:10, we were just coming in. I'm lucky to get in at 1:20 now. Kudos to you!

The ones on 1:10 are not easy and I don't always make all 5 on time. Way back when in college we repeated on the 1 and it seemed relativity easy. Swimming is the easy thing for me, the bike and run not so much. I have a lot of work to do on those.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Swimming: 4x100 on 1:30 for the main set
    Biking: Not a "set" but a route that is actually the triathlon bike route for 2 of the tri's I do, and the hills are RIDICULOUS.
    Running: The long run is what kills me right now (in training for my first half marathon).

Interesting to see the other killer workouts you guys do!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I ride in a group ride with a lot of accomplished athletes. It KILLS me to keep up with them.

I would like to add more interval work into my runs, but I am afraid to because I am pretty injury prone.

I often do sprints in the pool. That can be tough as well.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options

The ones on 1:10 are not easy and I don't always make all 5 on time. Way back when in college we repeated on the 1 and it seemed relativity easy. Swimming is the easy thing for me, the bike and run not so much. I have a lot of work to do on those.

Can you explain this to me, just so I understand? Right now I just swim for distance, and I am good at swimming, so I really need to just focus on my speed now.

100's on 1:20 means you swim 100m and try to make it in 1min 20 sec? Then you do an easy 100m. Do that 5 times and then do the 100's in 1:15 and so on? And you do this once a week?
  • billydlyon
    Options

Can you explain this to me, just so I understand? Right now I just swim for distance, and I am good at swimming, so I really need to just focus on my speed now.

100's on 1:20 means you swim 100m and try to make it in 1min 20 sec? Then you do an easy 100m. Do that 5 times and then do the 100's in 1:15 and so on? And you do this once a week?

Close. It means you start your second, third, fourth and fith 100m at 1:20 intervals. For example. First 100 start at 00:00. Second 100 start at 1:20. 3rd 100 start at 2:40. Fourth 100 start at 4:00. Fifth 100 start at 5:20. THEN 100 easy. Next do 5 more 100s starting every 1:10 etc...
    Does that make sense?

And i agree. That is tough. I do sets of 5x100 on the 1:50, 1:40, and 1:30. then puke. :sick:
  • irongirl73
    irongirl73 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'd puke too. And I really hope its yards not meters because I feel slow now! lol But, I didn't swim in college. :)
  • skiing1313
    skiing1313 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    LOL, I'd puke too. And I really hope its yards not meters because I feel slow now! lol But, I didn't swim in college. :)

It is a yard pool. I am guessing if I tried to keep up with a lot of you with what your doing on the bike I would be the one puking. That is the area that I really need work. on I just can't seem to get speed.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There is an industrial park by my house with a 1/2 mile flat road. I start in the lowest gear and ride one minute as hard as I can. I rest one minute, increase one gear and repeat. I go up to the highest gear and then back down. Kicks my *kitten* every time.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    There is an industrial park by my house with a 1/2 mile flat road. I start in the lowest gear and ride one minute as hard as I can. I rest one minute, increase one gear and repeat. I go up to the highest gear and then back down. Kicks my *kitten* every time.

WOW! This sounds like an amazing workout. Must try some time. Thanks.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    For biking, the last couple of times at the gym I have put the simulator on advanced and then worked at cadence riding and with 4-5 hill accelerations. One ride there was literally a 5 mile climb. Fun times. Also, I find that timed rides can be a chance to feel the burn as you attempt to beat your latest time.

For running, I just keep running for whatever distance (usually 2-4 miles, I am a beginner) and then sprint finish the last 100-200 meters--almost always makes me feel like I am going to puke. Also, speed drills on an incline on the treadmill can get the heart pumping pretty hard.

For swimming, I find endurance swims to be the toughest for me because I get short of breath.